Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 09:01 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,086,919 times

Advertisements

Just an observation...if you substitute 'teaching' for 'nursing' this whole thread is almost identical. Except the pay, of course.

People who go into both professions usually do because they are altruistic and want a 'meaningful' and 'helpful' career. Then reality slaps them in the face. I for one taught for 15 years and finally gave up out of sheer disgust with the 'system'. I'm starting to think there is a 'system' in every single line of work and it's a matter of what system you can tolerate without your soul completely dying. Haven't found it yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 09:33 AM

32,295 posts, read 27,508,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
NO. I am not a nurse but I do work in a hospital. Many of the nurses are mean as hell and seem miserable. Yeah, I get the job is stressful but so are other jobs.

Anyone hate nursing and think going into it was a mistake?
If you are *not* a nurse then what is the point of this thread? It is like a single person saying all the married couples they meet are miserable therefore marriage is bad.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
OK, so neither of you are nurses, but are quoting six figure salaries for nurses, so what is your MO here?

Which I don't doubt SOME nurses make that by the way. But the median happens to be around 60K.

And the median for somebody with 20+ years of experience and a BSN happens to 77K. So, if I'm sitting here, and I'm a 45 year old nurse making 80K a year busting my butt and I'm listening to how a 27 year old nurse cracks 200K, what am I supposed to think?

Is that supposed to make me happy?

I work in a construction related industry, and we had these guys (back when construction was booming) who are way overpaid to do virtually nothing and collect overtime off of taxpayer dollars. It doesn't make me proud that those guys work in my field. Quite the contrary, it used to **** me and my co-workers off to no end.
Compensation for professional nurses (RNs) is highly dependent upon geographical location COL.

Here in NYC area newly licensed/graduate nurses currently *start* at low $70k to mid $80k. In most areas of the USA that would be considered very good money, however given the high COL including taxes in NY, NJ and Conn it is barely middle class.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Nursing is one of those few majors that can almost guarantee a job or at the very least a promise that you wont have to be working back at Target, Shop Rite post graduation. There is little wonder then that nursing is a very popular career choice. As for going in it more for love or money, you will see that in every career, nursing is no exception. I assume that even if nursing is not "your heart's passion", as long as you are competent and do the job well that is good enough.
So not true, just search "Nursing Shortage" and you'll have your eyes opened.

In many parts of the USA there is a vast surplus of newly licensed/graduate nurses. In fact the supply is so great hospitals and other facilities can and are picking and choosing. Latest incarnation of this is that for some areas of the country especially east and west coasts places are no longer taking new or even experienced nurses with Associate degrees. Every where you look it is "BSN preferred" or "BSN required".

You can find newly licensed RNs working as store clerks, in bars, driving taxis, etc... anything but nursing for want of a job in their profession. Things are so bad that in New York City and elsewhere nurses (again especially new grads) are having to pack up and move to other parts of the country/state to find work.

Thing about being a nursing graduate is you have a "shelf life" of really only a year to maybe a bit under three (if that) to find work. If you do not have such recent experience hospitals and other facilities consider you a "stale graduate" and will look at other candidates for "new graduate" positions. Happily for them but not for the person seeking employment nursing schools are running at full capacity and thus cranking out new graduates like clockwork every six or twelve months.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:11 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,951,599 times
The pendulum has definitely swung to the other side.

I use to go to University Job Fairs and was active in recruiting RN's... relocation, sign on bonus and longevity pay were part of what we offered as enticement... we also had a re-entry program for RN's that had been away such as raising children... etc...

Fast forward and daily we receive unsolicited resumes from new grads and those with experience looking for work...

This year we hired 5 "New" grads... all were exceptional and showed their dedication... had volunteer work with the local hospice, etc...

As one poster mentioned... two had worked at Target while going to Nursing School.

One thing that really impresses DON is those that worked their way through school... that shows dedication and determination...

So far all the new grads have been very impressive. We are just glad to have them and realize in a year or two most will advance to other Hospitals such as Kaiser...

Old 09-26-2014, 10:31 AM

Working one's way through nursing school is all very well, however many programs actively discourage the thing.

Gaining admission to and remaining in a nursing program today has become very competitive. Students have been bounced out of nursing schools for failing this class or that exam by < one point. As such most will tell new students off the bat what is expected and that they will not accept *excuses* if you cannot keep up academically. That is if you fail an exam or something because you had to work late the night before or some such employment related problem, tough cheese.

Yes, some students do work and attend nursing school. But you find they are on average highly motivated and the types that are able to hold such complicated lives together.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:37 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,674,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
So not true, just search "Nursing Shortage" and you'll have your eyes opened.

In many parts of the USA there is a vast surplus of newly licensed/graduate nurses. In fact the supply is so great hospitals and other facilities can and are picking and choosing. Latest incarnation of this is that for some areas of the country especially east and west coasts places are no longer taking new or even experienced nurses with Associate degrees. Every where you look it is "BSN preferred" or "BSN required".

You can find newly licensed RNs working as store clerks, in bars, driving taxis, etc... anything but nursing for want of a job in their profession. Things are so bad that in New York City and elsewhere nurses (again especially new grads) are having to pack up and move to other parts of the country/state to find work.

Thing about being a nursing graduate is you have a "shelf life" of really only a year to maybe a bit under three (if that) to find work. If you do not have such recent experience hospitals and other facilities consider you a "stale graduate" and will look at other candidates for "new graduate" positions. Happily for them but not for the person seeking employment nursing schools are running at full capacity and thus cranking out new graduates like clockwork every six or twelve months.
I have not met a Registered Nurse yet that is not working as a nurse, and I work in the hospitality industry which is known for the surplus of college grads that haven't found work in their field of study.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:37 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,951,599 times
^^^I think you covered it.

Nursing Director believes anyone that worked their way through the BSN program is exceptional...

Our newest and youngest RN turned 25 today... she worked two days a week at a local bank while completing her education...

The bank staff wish her nothing but well and are truly happy for her... this in and of itself says volumes too...

Doesn't hurt that she is the first in her family with a University Education either and came to America as a young teen.

Six months on the job and nothing but positive comments from staff and docs...

Old 09-26-2014, 10:43 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,674,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
false.
nope. The vast majority of jobs right now are not paying 50k/year. I recently was a director of one of the largest skilled nursing facilities in the Erie, PA area and was making 32k/year. The activities director was not much more.. same goes for maintenance.. social services a little better.. nurses very good.

The average nurse at the facility was making more than 45k/year. The Directors of Nursing are at a median of 120k/year. That is four times what I was making.

Fast forward to the four diamond resort I am currently working. By and large a vast majority of the managers are not making over 50k/year. Many are more like 30-50k depending on the department.

Only the big wigs such as the General Manager, Director of Operations, Human Resource Director, etc are making the big bucks really.. compared to nursing anyways... these positions also get to see a good bit of turnover.

With all this being said, who knows how much nurses will end up getting paid with a collapsed Medicare system and Social Healthcare reform. All signs point to the pay decreasing eventually, but to what who knows...

Old 09-26-2014, 10:51 AM

148 posts, read 280,882 times
I am a male RN with a BSN. The majority of nurses I have come across are dedicated, hard-working individuals. Yes, there may be some nutty or co-dependent types as well. I enjoy it and always have. Why? I always have known, if I became sick and tired of a particular floor/unit/type of nursing, I could always go somewhere else. Nursing, and I do not mean CRNA or NP, is pretty much strictly middle class when you compare the COL with salaries in a given area. Do not envy those $100,000 salaries in San Francisco proper, for example, as the average home price is over $800,000+. I have met many travel nurses during my career, who have made great salaries (housing, health insurance, and 401-K included!) while getting to see the country. But there are cons to that as well: lacking roots, being "dumped" on in certain hospitals, driving your vehicles are all over the place, etc).

Currently, I have a salaried position as a director of a home care agency. Teaching home-health aides in structured classes is involved as well. I do enjoy working regular hours with holidays and weekends off. I have worked in hospice, nursing homes, hospitals, and home-care. There are pros and cons to each. I love the variety and opportunity though. I miss patient care, but one day, will probably return to that. The possibilities are endless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment