Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 09:00 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,949,281 times

Advertisements

Why do you need 11 year old tax reccords?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 10:54 PM

388 posts, read 539,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I'm wondering the same thing... 11 years is quite old for tax records

Old 09-15-2014, 01:00 PM

8 posts, read 6,768 times
Default Still Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Was your pay deposited in your bank account? Perhaps you can find out what your net pay was that year. If you can find a couple pay stubs you can estimate your gross.

Reconstructing pay from your net is at best an estimate because your deductions, such as health insurance, may not have been the same all year.

Social Security won't have a transcript of your W-2 because they don't receive that but they can give you at least your gross taxable income.

Actually, The Social Security Administration does get all your earnings and income before the IRS or State ever sees it. The process, as I have been thoroughly explained, goes as such:
Social Security Admin, IRS, and they send into to the State.
The problem with all those avenues, is that I can get a transcript from either the IRS for $57. or the Social Security Admin for $37. The problem again is that ALL only show income. No taxes taken out.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Fair question. I have recently been cleaning up my neglected credit report. I have cleared many items, and in a short 6 months doing so raised my score 103 points!
I had a 2007 year, where I owed (by NC State claims) $900. Well I went down to the Department of Revenue for my State and took all my W-2's from 2004 up to and including 2013.
That $900, after going through the paperwork was only $289.96.
My issue is that I had two jobs that year. Somewhere along the line, one amount was not accounted for. I have no clue as how that happened. So, I was informed that 2003 was not filed with the additional employers numbers. No big deal, because the State taxes were taken out of those checks. The problem lies with the issue that the State collected the taxes, but since I only showed one employer, and they do not have a W-2 of mine showing how much State tax was paid. The State has basically told me that they received verification of that income from a "Third Party" source, yet they have not shown me where they got those numbers, which I still do not know that they are. I imagine the numbers are from a SS Transcript which only shows income, but no taxes taken out.

They have told me to find a W-2 from 2003, to show how much State taxes were withheld.

That's how this came about. I'm at this point ready to ignore them.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Who did your taxes? Did you do them yourself or have a professional do them? If the latter, he or she may have the information. If you did them, pull out the copy of what was filed to see if you can get the total from that.

Did someone within the company process your payroll or did you use an outside vendor like ADP? If ADP, you might see if they can get you what you need either with a copy of the W-2 or with a copy of the stub for your last paycheck that year.

Good luck!

I did my taxes. The issue as with every business is that, I also, dump 10 year old documents. I have 2004 until today. I have exhausted every avenue. IRS, Social Security, State, Employer, ADP, and nobody keeps records that long. Yet, I have an imbecile Tax Advocate from the State who thinks I can find something that no one else keeps. I have requested from the State a new Imbecile.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
My guy has had some of my stubs, etc., in his files, so it's worth it to check.
I did my taxes. No guy to find.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Well, doesn't the state have a copy in their records as well?

What's going to happen if you or they can't find it?
Exactly! I'm not sure that they will do anything at all. In fact I have demanded that the State Tax Advocate provide me with the accounting numbers from the State Auditor for my account of Tax Tear 2003.

The employer, as always, took taxes out of my check and rendered them to the State. Therefore, I have called the Tax Advocate, as of September 12, 2014, and informed him that until I see the accounting numbers from the State Auditor of my account for that year, I have no further need to have any discussions with him regarding that year.

I'm sure the Tax Advocate I have is a knucklehead, and lazy. I have full faith that the State Auditor will discover that they actually already collected those taxes and whatever or however they screwed up their accounting, they'll find it. After all, they do have it!

Old 09-15-2014, 01:53 PM

Thanks to all who responded. For all who read the post, I do not owe taxes from non payment. The issue is from a non-file year 2003, that somehow in the world got past me. Since it is such an old year (11 years) neither the State nor I have the numbers to plug in to correct the tax year and render it filed correctly.

I don't think it matters. I explained to the dipwad State Tax Goon, that I have never received a bill, invoice, or letter from the State saying I owe any taxes from 2003. Therefore, it seems even the State knows I do not owe. Plus, this scholar tried telling me that I broke the law when I didn't file. So, I could not resist in teaching the goon his own State tax laws. In my State, as far as a non-file year goes, unless there was an intent to commit fraud or escape taxes, they can only take action within 6 years, after that they can't file crap! NC State Statue GS 105-236 Penalties. He looked puzzled and I could tell he had/has no clue what he's talking about. He was not aware of that Statute.

This too, as all things, will work itself out. I am no longer attempting to find a W-2 from 2003.

Thanks again for your questions, and suggestions.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:57 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,776,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George56 View Post
I did my taxes. The issue as with every business is that, I also, dump 10 year old documents. I have 2004 until today. I have exhausted every avenue. IRS, Social Security, State, Employer, ADP, and nobody keeps records that long. Yet, I have an imbecile Tax Advocate from the State who thinks I can find something that no one else keeps. I have requested from the State a new Imbecile.

Haha! That's funny! Good luck, George. I hope you can get your hands on what you need.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
To clear up an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment