Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 09:54 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,646,584 times

Advertisements

Until you make up your mind what you want to do, get a job as a house cleaner, those companies are always looking for reliable and honest people and many of them make good money (you'd get health benefits and you could set your own hours, or you could be a driver for one of the senior citizen transportation companies ( a fellow I know started his own senior transportation service with his own van and now owns four).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 10:39 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,814,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
What are you looking to do? Where do you live?

Personally for me getting my first break in architecture was HARD. After graduation I interned for expenses on and off for almost a year (just for the learning experience) and eventually got a commission from my then girlfriend. Getting where you want to be is not easy, but what's the alternative?
My dream is to be a graphic designer which I went to University of Phoenix for but I could also be satisfied with pet related (not veterinary) or computers in general. I'd be completely fine with interning in my field but the one I applied for wouldn't bother to reply. I could also be okay with writing for people but not the hardcore news.

I live in Maryland.

Last edited by Nickchick; 09-12-2014 at 10:48 AM..

Old 09-12-2014, 02:07 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,873,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
My dream is to be a graphic designer which I went to University of Phoenix for but I could also be satisfied with pet related (not veterinary) or computers in general. I'd be completely fine with interning in my field but the one I applied for wouldn't bother to reply. I could also be okay with writing for people but not the hardcore news.

I live in Maryland.

Have you tried freelancing for the time being? My old housemate was a web/graphic designer. He started out working in print shops, just left his last job doing web design. I'm not sure how it is for graphic designers in Maryland, you might have to move if there isn't much demand tbh. Have you gone door to door? The best way to get jobs like that in the UK is to take your portfolio around every studio you can find, plus move to the southeast (i.e. London.) One of my classmates from college (A level in the UK) studied graphic design, she now works for lego in Holland - don't confine yourself to much.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:11 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,790,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjtjtjt View Post
How many factory workers love what they do? How many janitors love what they do? How many hotel maids love what they do? How many garbage men love what they do? (you realize the smell of garbage can not be washed off after hauling it around all day no matter how hard you try).
None of us are qualified to answer this question without taking a survey. But I would guess the satisfation rate is higher than what you seem to be implying.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:17 PM

303 posts, read 396,573 times
We don't have to guess - there has been a survey.

http://www-news.uchicago.edu/release...70417.jobs.pdf

"Maids and housemen" number among the least happy in their occupations. Multiple types of machine operators do as well.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:21 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,158,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamegame1 View Post
I feel like no matter what i try to do something destroys my plans for a better life. Ive been in and out college but finances would always destroy my chances. I have another factory job my first job was a 14hr. One but due to pay cuts i was laid off. The other ones an 8hr. it pays the bills but i dont want to live off the government i need to feel accomplished. Im not a sit at home and whine kind of person . I just seem to have the worst luck when trying to get ahead. Right now im trying to learn coding. You know html,java script,etc. Maybe oneday i could be a web developer. I need advice on how to become sucessful . Im 19 and just wanna be proud i made it out of the projects.anyway possible.
You need to understand that *everything* that happens to you is a direct result of the choices that you make. The first thing you need to do is to determine long-term goals and work tirelessly toward them. Not "maybe one day I could be a web developer". Instead...."I am going to do whatever it takes to become the MOST INCREDIBLE WEB DEVELOPER on the planet in 1 year". Then apply every spare minute of your free time toward that goal. Turn off the television and take some classes. I would caution against borrowing money but instead if you cannot afford the classes TODAY, then get a second job and start saving toward your goal.

The secret to success is to have a goal, and focus all your time and energy towards achieving it. Nobody can make anything happen except you.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-14-2014, 12:57 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,814,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Have you tried freelancing for the time being? My old housemate was a web/graphic designer. He started out working in print shops, just left his last job doing web design. I'm not sure how it is for graphic designers in Maryland, you might have to move if there isn't much demand tbh. Have you gone door to door? The best way to get jobs like that in the UK is to take your portfolio around every studio you can find, plus move to the southeast (i.e. London.) One of my classmates from college (A level in the UK) studied graphic design, she now works for lego in Holland - don't confine yourself to much.
It seems like even freelancing is impossible to get into. They always want work experience from the sites I looked at and it almost seems like it's even more competitive because you're bidding for work.
Moving is what I'm afraid of
I don't know about going door to door because I don't know what places to ask.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:17 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,973,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
19? You are still a kid. If you want to go to school and can't afford it, how about the military? Just make sure you sign up to learn something that's a viable skill in civilian life. Like dental/medical. Then you have that to fall back on and support yourself while you are in school after your discharge.

There's really not much you can do to support yourself and go to school. It's hard to find something that pays enough these days.
The military? I doubt getting your head chopped off by insane religious ideologues is a good future for him.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:37 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,790,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena777 View Post
We don't have to guess - there has been a survey.

http://www-news.uchicago.edu/release...70417.jobs.pdf

"Maids and housemen" number among the least happy in their occupations. Multiple types of machine operators do as well.
the opening paragraph of the citation puts things into perspective:

Across all jobs and all professions, 47% of people are very satisfied with their jobs.
Looking only entry-level and unskilled jobs, this number is 34%, and looking only at professional jobs, this number is 56%. So, the jobs that you have been saying that nobody wants to do (garbage men, janitors, maids, etc), about 1/3 of the people in this line of work are actually very happy doing these jobs. And the high-paying jobs that supposedly everyone would love to do, only about 1/2 of them actually are very happy with their jobs.

To me, this is all the more reason to encourage people to pursue their talents and affinities, instead of getting pigeonholed into doing stuff they don't like.

Old 09-15-2014, 04:52 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,873,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
It seems like even freelancing is impossible to get into. They always want work experience from the sites I looked at and it almost seems like it's even more competitive because you're bidding for work.
Moving is what I'm afraid of
I don't know about going door to door because I don't know what places to ask.
Here's a hint - an awful lot of freelancers lie, most don't even have degree level education. And if you want to work in any design industry you have to go where the work is unfortunately. As far as door to door look on google maps https://www.google.co.uk/maps/previe...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ, and get a GOOD portfolio.

Also what grade did you get at undergraduate? If you have a top notch degree (I don't know what the degree classifications are in the US,) maybe you could think about doing a masters at a top institution? It really opens doors that you wont get otherwise. I did this and found it really helped

edit: Can you code as well? It's easier to get web design work than print graphics these days. Best to learn both. And motion graphics if you can.

Last edited by archineer; 09-15-2014 at 05:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment