Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 12:08 AM

615 posts, read 726,837 times

Advertisements

Currently interviewing at 2 places. I'm confident that 1 or both of them will give me an offer. When they do, I can't wait to tell my current employer to "Take this job and shove it!"

2 weeks' notice? Maybe, if I'm feeling generous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 12:11 AM

29,527 posts, read 22,714,341 times

Old 09-04-2014, 12:24 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,782,547 times
I'm sure I'm not the only one who will say this... but that's a horrible idea. You'll get what, maybe an afternoon of satisfaction? May a few other occasions when you retell the story? That's the best case scenario.

Worst case scenario, someone who works there now or works their after you leave learns about the way you quit. At some point down the road, your name comes across their desk, because you're permanently etched into that person's memory as the guy who quit like a jerk.

I worked at McDonald's. There was a guy there who on his first day, was asked to take the garbage out. The manager see him 15 minutes later just walking down the street home. I won't reveal his name on here, but suffice to say that even though I didn't work their at the time, his reputation was ruined for anyone who came through afterwards.

That's the worst case scenario.

So, is an afternoon of smugness worth the potential to ruin your career? That's up to you... but I've never found it worth it. At the same time, even when I quit a job with a horrible boss, I was at a new job for a year when a former co-worker(who had also quit) contacted me asking if I'd like to come work with him.

You never know where life leads... so be careful burning bridges.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:55 AM

615 posts, read 726,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
I'm sure I'm not the only one who will say this... but that's a horrible idea. You'll get what, maybe an afternoon of satisfaction? May a few other occasions when you retell the story? That's the best case scenario.

Worst case scenario, someone who works there now or works their after you leave learns about the way you quit. At some point down the road, your name comes across their desk, because you're permanently etched into that person's memory as the guy who quit like a jerk.

I worked at McDonald's. There was a guy there who on his first day, was asked to take the garbage out. The manager see him 15 minutes later just walking down the street home. I won't reveal his name on here, but suffice to say that even though I didn't work their at the time, his reputation was ruined for anyone who came through afterwards.

That's the worst case scenario.

So, is an afternoon of smugness worth the potential to ruin your career? That's up to you... but I've never found it worth it. At the same time, even when I quit a job with a horrible boss, I was at a new job for a year when a former co-worker(who had also quit) contacted me asking if I'd like to come work with him.

You never know where life leads... so be careful burning bridges.
I will not literally say "Take this job and shove it!". My manager will be pissed that I'm leaving and want to know why. I'll be as transparent as possible.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:49 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,276,729 times
I was going to do this, just text them I quit after being paid. I thought better of it on the way out the door. I already had another job, but since the hours didn't conflict I could work both of them, and give two weeks notice. I gave notice Monday and in another two weeks they cannot say a bad thing about me. The are stealing our tips and pressured us to go on salary illegally so they could cut our pay far below minimum wage. When I didn't go along with that they heaped more and more work on me and began harassing me and criticizing everything I did, when just before I'd refused the salary scheme they were telling me how happy they were with my work.

It was obvious they were not happy with me leaving, but then they brought it on themselves, and I went about it the right way. While it's so very tempting to flip them off and walk leaving them in the lurch, at the end of the day the better way is to do the right thing, even when they are doing the wrong things. You preserve your job reference and leave no bad stuff behind you that can later bite you in the....

Last edited by amylewis; 09-04-2014 at 03:58 AM..

Old 09-04-2014, 05:49 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,022,848 times
Walking out like Black Bart may feel good in the moment but won't serve you well in the long run.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:48 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,679,637 times
There are a lot of instances on CD in this forum of people who burned bridges and then couldn't get references, etc... later down the road. You never know who you may need in the future. Best to try to leave as cordially as possible in the event that you need to go back one day. The grass isn't always greener.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:04 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,434,195 times
I had a coworker once that thought that was a good idea, until he found out his boss at the new job was related to the boss at the old job.....

Old 09-04-2014, 07:17 AM

22,619 posts, read 47,750,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
I will not literally say "Take this job and shove it!".
Then why did you post that you will say exactly that... twice?

Old 09-04-2014, 07:26 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,151,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Then why did you post that you will say exactly that... twice?
I think the thread was made under the excitement of predicting an offer based on the interviews. To the OP-Just hand in the notice in writing with your immediate supervisor when the time comes. If they ask why, tell the truth. You found something else and are making a professional decision to move on. Done.

Hope an offer is forthcoming soon for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment