Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 10:28 AM

18,745 posts, read 33,478,931 times

Advertisements

I was once fired from a professional job for reasons that had nothing to do with how I performed that job. I was called in and told they wanted my resignation because of these vague "issues." I handed her a resignation letter, effective that day. She looked kind of sickly with her horsey teeth and said she wanted to give me two months to resign, so I could get another job and "save face with the staff." I said I was leaving that day, that I couldn't work with people who didn't trust me. She looked sicker and said, "Frankly, I'm short of staff and I need you."

Without thinking, I said, "I'd rather hook in the street than work for you." And I left. Of course, the song on the radio when I turned it on was "Take this job and shove it."

I got another job. Three months later, I got a letter to appear before my professional board over complaints made up *completely lying* by former employer. I spent a thousand bucks on a lawyer (this was 1983) and had a good three months of near-nervous breakdown because I had no idea how this was playing out. The complaint was dismissed but my unusual last name and the rather small world of my field was nearly deadly. It took years before I could tell anyone about this and all these years later, I am still bitter and somewhat fragile on the subject.

I have always wondered if I hadn't mouthed off, would they have complained to the professional board? Anyway, I couldn't have given two months notice to be fired. It was a very unsafe situation to work with people who didn't want to trust me and wanted to believe destructive lies.

It was one of the worst periods of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 10:48 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,800,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
So the worst case scenario is being blacklisted at the local McDonalds? Is that the best example you could come up with?
I think you missed his point. The point is no one works at McDonald there entire life, it's an entry level job. Everyone who worked with him knows about the guy John Doe who walked off the job when asked to do a simple task. When his co-workers get better jobs at other companies, there's a chance they will cross paths again, and they will remember this guy isn't reliable and that could affect him getting hired by a better company.

Frankly I'd be afraid to hire someone that quit over a trivial task, I would be afraid they would do the same thing when I asked them to complete the TPS reports.

Last edited by TechGromit; 09-04-2014 at 10:58 AM..

Old 09-04-2014, 11:15 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,681,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
You owe no one nothing. Do what you want. Corporate America does not care about you. Why should you care about them?

Making an effort to avoid burning bridges has nothing to do with owing corporate America anything, and everything to do with what you owe to yourself. You want to mess yourself because you cannot keep your mouth closed or you don't want to give notice? That only shows the immaturity of someone who would shoot himself in the foot to try and get back at someone else. Not too bright.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:17 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,797,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
Currently interviewing at 2 places. I'm confident that 1 or both of them will give me an offer. When they do, I can't wait to tell my current employer to "Take this job and shove it!"

2 weeks' notice? Maybe, if I'm feeling generous.
You should totally do it, Jamin.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:24 AM
mcq

337 posts, read 674,137 times
Many of us WANT to do this, but most of us know better. Move on to better things and be happy. I've been looking far too long for my next job and still am. I even already have a template of my resignation letter made out when I need it. So, I definitely know the feeling. But hey, if you're going to do it, at least get it on video and share.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:46 AM

12,114 posts, read 8,504,974 times
Leave with as much good will behind you as possible. You want to be remembered as a good worker who's easy to work with because you never know who you may need on your side further down the road.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:13 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,010,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You already know it's a bad idea to do that, but I'll reiterate and expand upon what all the others have said. No matter how bad your current job is, be gracious to your boss when (if) you resign. After all, they gave you a job and a paycheck, so that alone is a reason to be grateful, is it not? Besides, you don't have an offer from either place that you interviewed with as yet. Don't count your chickens. . .
I'd give 2 weeks, but grateful for a job..NOT!! A job is a business deal..both sides gained. Would you be grateful to a guy who bought your house? your car? Just like a job, each is a business deal..where both parties gained.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:14 PM

19,718 posts, read 16,907,621 times
The only time I really let an employer know my feelings was when I worked for a company that was bought out by a bigger company. I had loved working for the original company for 5 years but everything changed from day one with the new people. They let some good people go and put puppets in their place. I knew my days were numbered.

One Friday the new GM came nervously into my office and said he had been putting it off all day but that he had been told to let me go. My words to him were, "Thank you, thank you, thank you. I couldn't stand coming in here another day and you just lifted a weight off of my shoulders !"

He sat back in his chair and looked shocked, I guess he expected a fight, but I really was relieved and was just waiting for them to lay me off so I could collect until I found another position..........which I did a little while later.

A year later the new company that bought them out had gone bankrupt, and the manager who fired me came walking into my new job one day looking for work himself. So you never know how life is going to play out.

Don

Old 09-04-2014, 12:19 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,768,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I'd give 2 weeks, but grateful for a job..NOT!! A job is a business deal..both sides gained. Would you be grateful to a guy who bought your house? your car? Just like a job, each is a business deal..where both parties gained.
Well said.

You owe your employer/boss nothing, just as they owe you nothing. It's an equal exchange until they terminate you or you quit.

Obviously the professional thing to do is give notice and leave on good terms, but no one's obligated to do this and it's not the end of the world if it isn't done...

Old 09-04-2014, 12:55 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,611,066 times
I really have little patience or sympathy for people who complain about thier jobs. Who is forcing you to stay? This isnt North Korea. If you hate your job that much, get up and leave or find one that you enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment