Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 03:02 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,901,259 times

Advertisements

Do you realize your boss sees potential in you and is grooming you to replace him in 5 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 03:09 PM

29 posts, read 52,078 times
You sound way more entitled than you have a right to be. This boss sounds like he would like to mentor you. Why not learn what you can and see where life takes you? He seems to act authentically and at least you know he's being honest. I would have given my left arm for that sort of direction in the early days of my career. Don't be surprised if he's picked up on your attitude and has chosen to ignore it for now. If that's your definition of a bad boss, I'd be very careful about complaining, lest the universe send you a terrible one.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:21 PM

820 posts, read 1,209,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
How is "attaboy" and "kid" belittling?

"Attaboy" is an encouragement. "Kid" is an endearment based on age. Young people are young.
I wasn't referencing his so called belittlement, just in general everyone will deal with some form of it.

Old 08-30-2014, 03:26 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,630,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
You are a spoiled brat.

People like you don't realize you have a good thing until you lose it.

You would do well to remember how patient you boss has been with you, as you yourself have said that you've had a hard time learning the job. Now he's encouraging you because you've been improving, but you have a problem with that. Unbelievable!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...l#post35870711

^^^^ this. OP has been handed an opportunity to learn a trade and is annoyed over being called kid, you're 22, many people over the age of 40 are going to think you as a kid, it is a term of endearment not an insult.

OP reminds me of another young guy who was also hired by a printer, he was to be trained on various machines(there are several used) and he would eventually take over the business.

He was asked to come in ONE TIME on a Saturday and was a no show. His reason was Friday night was his "party night" and he overslept. Couldn't miss one Friday night drinking and blew a great opportunity.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:13 PM

210 posts, read 393,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You were out of work for 2 years. You found a job in the career field of your choice and you want to quit because the boss says "attaboy" and calls you "kid?"

It's your life. You have to decide if those things are worth potentially being out of work for another two years. You have to decide if dealing with it is worth gaining experience and having potential for a long term career and some financial stability.

Personally, I've seen and experienced worse. I'd stick to it.

Sure, you cold say something but is it worth alienating your new boss (who likes you and is trying to help you) over something so trivial?
No, I was not out of work for 2 years, just job hunting. I had and still have a part-time retail job on the side.

I want to tell my boss as firmly, calmly and professionally as possible something like this: I don't want you treating me different because I studied printing. I don't care if you want me to succeed in the field. I'm doing it for myself and not for you. My career and work performance outside of this current company is not your concern. Right now, I work for this company and I don't care about the rest of the printing industry or the other companies. You do not tell me what to do outside of working for this company.

Do you guys think after saying something like this, he might simply agree to it and start backing off a little? Or do you think it can get me fired?

The "kid" and "attaboy" remarks I can let slide. I was just trying to show a bit more of what he's like.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:19 PM

788 posts, read 1,248,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life7 View Post
I want to tell my boss as firmly, calmly and professionally as possible something like this: I don't want you treating me different because I studied printing. I don't care if you want me to succeed in the field. I'm doing it for myself and not for you. My career and work performance outside of this current company is not your concern. Right now, I work for this company and I don't care about the rest of the printing industry or the other companies. You do not tell me what to do outside of working for this company.
Why don't you just quit? All of our advice seems to fall on deaf ears, and with your attitude he will soon get fed up with you.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:30 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,746,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyAndRugby View Post
Why don't you just quit? All of our advice seems to fall on deaf ears, and with your attitude he will soon get fed up with you.
Agreed, with the attitude OP has displayed he is better off working for some minimum wage job where his boss will be younger than him and will not try to help him out in his career and with his future. God forbid someone probably considerably older than him wants to help guide him and improve his future, how dare he takes in interest in helping his employees.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:40 PM

210 posts, read 393,804 times
Can you guys explain what's wrong with my attitude or please describe it? I just don't want to think about my future and career because right now my focus is on this job only. I don't want my boss thinking about it too and it's seriously not his concern.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:51 PM

469 posts, read 637,312 times
Quote:
Can you guys explain what's wrong with my attitude or please describe it? I just don't want to think about my future and career because right now my focus is on this job only. I don't want my boss thinking about it too and it's seriously not his concern.

You sound like an ungrateful, arrogant pompous ass who is ready to go insult and alienate the man who gave you a chance in your field because for some reason you are bothered that he is trying to help you succeed.

He will eventually see that you are not worth his extra energy and give his attention to someone else at the job so don't worry to much about it.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:52 PM

788 posts, read 1,248,993 times
Quote:
Can you guys explain what's wrong with my attitude or please describe it?
I cannot. If all the previous posts telling you what is wrong with your attitude were not clear enough I do not have any words that will make it clearer.

Quote:
I just don't want to think about my future and career because right now my focus is on this job only.
Then grow a pair and tell your boss this. Just tell him that this is a temporary job for you and he will treat you just like he treats everybody else. You will blow a great opportunity, but apparently that is what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment