Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 08:25 AM

788 posts, read 1,255,470 times

Advertisements

@Life7, you across as someone very inexperienced and untested in the real world. Some things may appear strange, but if this is all it is? Just shut up and learn. I've dealt with much worse, much, much worse. You may find that when you move on, you actually had it pretty good here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 08:30 AM

212 posts, read 337,982 times
This is a great opportunity for you to learn and practice a very important life skill that will pay dividends throughout the rest of your life. Understand that people are different, have different styles, mannerisms, behaviors, speech patterns, etcetera. If you can learn how to be flexible and get along with a wide range of personalities, you will go far.

Think of this as a great opportunity to actively practice the skill. You are young and have plenty of time to grasp - best of luck.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:53 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,779,429 times
You are complaining about your boss praising you, because you do not like the way he does it, do you realize how ridiculous you sound? I was a car salesman at 18-22 years old, so I know what I experienced is nowhere near the norm in most businesses, but I was called much much worse than boy in every sales meeting I ever attended in that business. I was called the kid or some variation of that such as the ****ing kid, by many of my managers, and a couple actually were nice and called me the kid and gave me attaboys, and one of those I still talk to occasionally 19 years later.

The fact is if you are insulted by getting atta boys and being called a kid, than you are a kid, you need to grow up and get a thicker skin if that bugs you.

Also I have had interviews sitting outside so managers could smoke, that is not a big deal. Does the crew they manage get their work done in a timely and appropriate manner? Does you paycheck cash? Are you paid on time and correctly? If so than I would not have a problem with my manager smoking, or calling me a kid, or praising me.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:30 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,771,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life7 View Post
So nobody finds there's anything wrong with him? Interviewer smoking a cigarette at an interview is completely normal?? I can't let him know anything he does that is bothering me? And no, he's not the owner.

He even thinks he can make career choices for me. He says crap like "In 5 years, if you're not better than me at running the printing machine, then it's probably time for a career change". I'm going to be the judge of whether I'm successful in the field, not him. I don't care how much experience he has. He's not going to say something like that like it's a fact. There's no way I was even planning on staying with the company for 5 years. I was/am planning on working there for 1-2 years max.

Life, sorry, I know you've come here looking for answers and sympathy, but you're in the workforce now. You don't get to tell your boss what's bothering you. The world doesn't revolve around you - nobody is going to care to hear what bothers you - and as an employee, you are expected to be the flexible one.

Part of maturing is coming to a point where you stop sweating the small stuff and learn how to pick your battles. As of today, the things you've described, do not arm you with any battles. There's nothing that should be stopping you from sleeping, and if there is, it's because of internal issues you have.

You're going to have this problem no matter where you work because you have unrealistic expectations. You expect to be treated like a 40 year old when you're only 22. You expect it's your right to tell your employer he's doing things that bother you. Your manager isn't there to make you happy. You're there to do a good job and make him happy. You have unrealistic expectations.

If you want to avoid having problems keeping a job, you'll figure out why you feel the way you do and work on changing those parts of your personality.

By the way, I'm in my 50's and have young women refer to me as "honey" when they're checking me out in stores. Completely inappropriate and disrespectful, but not worth making an issue over. Your manager is trying to praise you and you're discounting that based on the use of the word "kid". At 22, many consider you a kid because you're just starting out. It's not being said to demean you - so do yourself a favor and don't make it an issue.

I wish you the best of luck.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,618,965 times
You were out of work for 2 years. You found a job in the career field of your choice and you want to quit because the boss says "attaboy" and calls you "kid?"

It's your life. You have to decide if those things are worth potentially being out of work for another two years. You have to decide if dealing with it is worth gaining experience and having potential for a long term career and some financial stability.

Personally, I've seen and experienced worse. I'd stick to it.

Sure, you cold say something but is it worth alienating your new boss (who likes you and is trying to help you) over something so trivial?

Old 08-30-2014, 10:59 AM

13,753 posts, read 13,466,408 times
I totally understand. You're probably the kind of person who gets upset by online criticism. seriously, right? But you have to get over that. You know who you are and you're good at your job. Your boss knows it, too, and wants to reward you for it. That's the bottom line here. He's an ass but he's YOUR ass! (that's what my youngest says about his older brother) The guy is leaning on you but professionally you can handle the work so let the rest roll off. Don't get defensive about your youth. You're a kid to most of us here. Don't take his stuff personally. Do your 8 and hit the gate. Be of good cheer!! Do your job happily, knowing it's not forever but hey, if you get stuck there, you might be running the place eventually! Do some mature stuff and throw him off guard.... like bringing in donuts for everyone...

Smoking is legal, expensive, and addictive. You can pity him for that.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:44 AM

820 posts, read 1,214,625 times
If hes saying things about 5 years from now obviously you have a some sense of job security. People will belittle you all the time in the working world just deal with it.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:52 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,618,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdemak View Post
If hes saying things about 5 years from now obviously you have a some sense of job security. People will belittle you all the time in the working world just deal with it.
How is "attaboy" and "kid" belittling?

"Attaboy" is an encouragement. "Kid" is an endearment based on age. Young people are young.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:06 PM

624 posts, read 767,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
You are a spoiled brat.

People like you don't realize you have a good thing until you lose it.

You would do well to remember how patient you boss has been with you, as you yourself have said that you've had a hard time learning the job. Now he's encouraging you because you've been improving, but you have a problem with that. Unbelievable!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...l#post35870711
No kidding. OP will be crying like a little girl if his next boss screams in his face over the slightest mistake. I've worked for that type, too.

Listen kid, in the working world you are going to encounter all kinds, esp in an industry like printing. Better work on toughing up and letting the small stuff roll off your back. Attaboy.

Old 08-30-2014, 02:32 PM

469 posts, read 640,283 times
How are you going to handle a real problem at work if this non-issue is causing you sleepless night and affecting your mental health?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment