Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 10:54 PM

5 posts, read 9,104 times

Advertisements

I currently live in NJ and have Austin relocation plans as soon as I have a job there. I am in the final rounds of interviewing with a silicon valley tech startup who will let me work remotely from Austin (that was a pre-condition). If I do land the job, I was wondering the following -

1. Living in TX a no tax state, am I still liable for state taxes in CA since I work for a CA based company?
2. Will the new company withhold CA taxes from my salary (W2)?

I have heard lot's of chatter about the CA taxation department's aggressive stance in claiming taxes from out of state telecommuters and remote workers working for a CA based company. The popular argument seems to be that remote workers are liable, since they receive funds from an income source based in CA.

This is very important for me to know, prior to any negotiations on compensation with the hiring company in CA.

Anybody here working remotely for a CA based company, I would like to know what's your tax situation.
No state tax in TX is a big incentive for me to relocate to Austin, however if I am going to be extorted to pay CA state tax, it's a big dampener.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 11:26 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,167,559 times
we have people that do work in california. California may still come after you which is a hassle, but when our employees work from texas it falls under texas tax law. When they work in california, then it falls under california tax law.

Old 08-09-2014, 01:15 AM

615 posts, read 783,027 times
I work for a Silicon Valley tech company, but we have an office here, so I'm not working "remote." That said, I still think you are responsible for following the income tax code for the state you are living/working in, not where your company is headquartered, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:15 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,139,544 times
Yes, you only owe income tax in the state in which you reside. If you end up spending 90 working days in CA, then technically you owe CA income tax on that portion of your income. We have had to do that.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:43 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,295,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Yes, you only owe income tax in the state in which you reside. If you end up spending 90 working days in CA, then technically you owe CA income tax on that portion of your income. We have had to do that.
You owe income tax based on the state where you EARN it - from dollar one. My wife is a consultant, typically with twelve week engagements. We had to five four state income tax returns last year.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:58 AM

@centralaustinite ... so your CA employer does not withhold any CA taxes on your paycheck and you never got a letter from CA taxation authorities that you owe back taxes ? That's good news. I want to make sure this is not a case where you are getting paid through a proxy entity in Texas, but being directly paid from CA itself. Can you conform? Thanks.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:02 PM

615 posts, read 783,027 times
I think this thread needs to be moved to the Work and Employment forum.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:28 PM

@scm53 .., in your case your wife is telecommuting to different states for the consulting gig. So it makes sense that you file taxes in those states on the earnings received while working in that state. Now, I will be earning my wages in TX where there is no state tax on personal income. However as mentioned earlier CA *seems* to make no exception for out of state employees of a CA based company. So even though I earned my wages living in TX, would be asked to pay CA state tax. :-(

Old 08-09-2014, 01:32 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,295,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipkat View Post
@scm53 .., in your case your wife is telecommuting to different states for the consulting gig.
No. She was physically there - not telecommuting. Your issue is going to be where your employer shows you WORK. My employer has Texas offices, so even though I am probably in Virginia on work fifty or more days a year, I don't owe Virginia taxes because they show my workplace as Texas.

Pretty simple - what does your employment record say? Texas or California?

Old 08-09-2014, 03:37 PM

16,375 posts, read 22,545,370 times
I work 100% remotely for a CA based company. My home state also doesn't have state income tax. I don't pay any state income tax. Only pay Fed/FICA/Medicare tax. Been doing this for a few years now - never got any notices from CA.

Last edited by sware2cod; 08-09-2014 at 03:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment