Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,501 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend just recently got laid off. He was with the company for eight years and was doing fairly well. I guess the company was downsizing so they got rid of him. He is not laid off until February and he received an eight month severance package so I thought he would be ok. But instead he has not wanted to have anything much to do with me. He said he has not seen anyone lately. He is taking care of his business. He has a short temper. And I am worried about him. He just wants me to leave him alone until he is ready to speak with me which is not an easy request. I am trying my best to understand what he is going through. At times I am unsure if it is really his job or he is using it as an excuse to get rid of me. Which ever it is I would love some feed back. I just want to understand what he is going through and if these feelings are legitimate.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 11:51 PM

21 posts, read 71,715 times
I do think men value their career/job more than women. It is who they are. Some more than others. His self esteem may be, for right now, shot. I thinks he needs some scripture reading to figure out that that is not all life is about. If he's worrying how he's going to get by or eat, show him Matt 6:25

Old 12-20-2007, 12:56 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,088,818 times
Honestly, it is possible that his severence package is giving him time to change his life, maybe relocate, and he might be thinking about a new life without you. Has he mentioned moving or doing anything out of the ordinary?
On the other hand, his pending unemployment may have wounded his pride and seeing you or talking about it reminds him of his unstability and he fears not being able to provide for himself and his mate - men are primal like that.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:32 PM

667 posts, read 2,890,461 times
To me it sounds like he's depressed.

He's withdrawing from close relationships
He's temperamental.

Although there is not much to go on, these two things jumped out at me.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:12 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,661,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4CraveEnergyDotcom View Post
I do think men value their career/job more than women. It is who they are. Some more than others. His self esteem may be, for right now, shot. I thinks he needs some scripture reading to figure out that that is not all life is about. If he's worrying how he's going to get by or eat, show him Matt 6:25
What an antiquated notion! Yuck.

he does sound depressed to me as well. You should try and do all you can for him, but you can only put yourself out there for so long.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:57 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,384,529 times
Why is it females are always looked to support the male ego? My hubby learned the hard way if he will not talk to me, others will. Just be glad you are not married. Time to look around.

Old 12-20-2007, 05:34 PM

733 posts, read 4,657,117 times
Dump him. So he'll lose his job in February. He'll be paid for 8 months more. Plenty of time to reorganize. He doesn't want to talk to you becuase he's planning to head off to greener pastures after a nice vacation. And he isn't making you part of the plan. Dump him.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:56 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,136,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windtimber View Post
Dump him. So he'll lose his job in February. He'll be paid for 8 months more. Plenty of time to reorganize. He doesn't want to talk to you becuase he's planning to head off to greener pastures after a nice vacation. And he isn't making you part of the plan. Dump him.

well said!

Old 12-23-2007, 01:31 PM

947 posts, read 3,574,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windtimber View Post
I agree to some extent, but don't write him off just yet..give him some time.

I've been in a situation like his before (Im a guy).. and I was in a slump for awhile.. .and sometimes I just don't wanna talk to anyone.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:26 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,384,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBroadcaster2008 View Post
I agree to some extent, but don't write him off just yet..give him some time.

I've been in a situation like his before (Im a guy).. and I was in a slump for awhile.. .and sometimes I just don't wanna talk to anyone.
Too much "I". If someone can not be a "we", they can be an "I" alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment