Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 04:21 PM

5,158 posts, read 4,666,077 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I applied for a job in Michigan and the job asked if I had any disabilities. I was going to put, "I don't care to specify," but the instructions said... "Since we are aligned with the government and public, we need to ask. We hope you do answer and we won't hold it against you." So, I changed it to yes.

I was medicated bipolar, but I am not anymore (they wanted to know previous)... but I do have thyroid issues, major depression and PTSD. Sooo... will this be held against me since I answered "yes." I just feel like my PA address is already a strike, so hopefully this isn't another one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 04:31 PM

469 posts, read 640,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
Hi everyone,

I applied for a job in Michigan and the job asked if I had any disabilities. I was going to put, "I don't care to specify," but the instructions said... "Since we are aligned with the government and public, we need to ask. We hope you do answer and we won't hold it against you." So, I changed it to yes.

I was medicated bipolar, but I am not anymore (they wanted to know previous)... but I do have thyroid issues, major depression and PTSD. Sooo... will this be held against me since I answered "yes." I just feel like my PA address is already a strike, so hopefully this isn't another one.

Yes it will. Moving forward, DO NOT EVER PUT BI-POLAR,PTSD OR DEPRESSION.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:37 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,771,474 times
Companies shouldn't even be asking that question. They can ask if you are able to perform the functions of the job, but that's it.

That's an illegal question.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Companies shouldn't even be asking that question. They can ask if you are able to perform the functions of the job, but that's it.

That's an illegal question.
That's what I thought. It wasn't a federal government job... it was in the medical field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
Yes it will. Moving forward, DO NOT EVER PUT BI-POLAR,PTSD OR DEPRESSION.
I didn't tell them what I had... but I marked "Yes,I am disabled" (they didn't ask on the form what it was)... so, if I get interviewed, I wonder if they will ask that. If I do get called, if my PA address makes the cut, I will say "I rather not specify." If they keep prodding (it would most likely be a phone interview), what would be proper protocol for that?

Old 06-25-2014, 04:41 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,561,458 times
It was my understanding based on the Americans with Disabilities Act that companies don't have a right to that information unless you are asking for some kind of accommodation based on your disability.

Its unfortunate that people aren't more understanding about mental health diagnoses, but I can tell you from experience that they are not. Its wrong but its reality.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:44 PM

13,003 posts, read 9,792,841 times
Especially after saying Major Depression and PTSD. That will scare the heck out of any potential employer and they will see you as a risk they don't want to take. don't give up any info that you don't have to.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:45 PM

469 posts, read 640,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
That's what I thought. It wasn't a federal government job... it was in the medical field.

I didn't tell them what I had... but I marked "Yes,I am disabled" (they didn't ask on the form what it was)... so, if I get interviewed, I wonder if they will ask that. If I do get called, if my PA address makes the cut, I will say "I rather not specify." If they keep prodding (it would most likely be a phone interview), what would be proper protocol for that?
Google disability rights in your area so you do not shoot yourself in your foot.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:45 PM

Yes. My mom literally threw me out when I was first diagnosed as BP... my gram was still alive and talked to her. I just really can't wait to move and I've been applying out of state for 6 months. I really hope something bites. I'm no longer medicated with psych meds, just treating the thyroid issues (which thyroid issues are a whole other monster)... but I will be getting therapy when I move. I will need no accommodations except maybe if I need to leave early every 5 months for a doctor's appointment.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:46 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,712,881 times
Just because you have various medical problems doesn't mean that they are a "disability."

Old 06-25-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
Google disability rights in your area so you do not shoot yourself in your foot.
Okay. I live in Pennsylvania, but I am looking to move to Michigan. The job is in Michigan. I'll Google what Michigan's protocols are. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Just because you have various medical problems doesn't mean that they are a "disability."
They specified my medical conditions for that job were a disability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment