Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 06:55 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,695,251 times

Advertisements

I applied for a position that might have been too "advanced" for me. Someone in HR emailed me yesterday and asked if I'd be interested in a 10 week internship position that could possibly turn into a full time position instead.

The thought of taking an internship after graduating was never once in my mind. I feel like I should land a full time job but not so much luck as of now... Should I at least agree and interview for the internship?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 07:11 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,744,359 times
Yes, if you can hack the internship it will most likely be a full-time gig (btw, 10 weeks is nothing). Jump on it. Good luck.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:29 PM

315 posts, read 564,344 times
If you have the possibility of getting a full-time job out of it, I say yes.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:30 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,607,911 times
The fact that many "entry level jobs" want 2-3 years of experience and the fact that employers can as picky as they want to be-I'd say take the internship. In most cases it is work experience on the resume that gets one the interview, the position and if nothing else the internship will look better on the resume when applying for work.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:27 PM

174 posts, read 332,967 times
If it's at a large company, take it. As long as you deliver and they have the budget, they will be very glad in most cases to take you on as a full time employee.

if it's a small company, no. They are looking for cheap labour.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:31 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,008,529 times
YES

You need to make connections. That's how you get employed.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Yes, if you can hack the internship it will most likely be a full-time gig (btw, 10 weeks is nothing). Jump on it. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. I replied back and gave him my available times next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGG1659 View Post
If you have the possibility of getting a full-time job out of it, I say yes.
I'm curious to know how much of a chance I will have to get a full time position out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
The fact that many "entry level jobs" want 2-3 years of experience and the fact that employers can as picky as they want to be-I'd say take the internship. In most cases it is work experience on the resume that gets one the interview, the position and if nothing else the internship will look better on the resume when applying for work.
I guess this is better than nothing. In the meantime I will continue to look for jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchan View Post
If it's at a large company, take it. As long as you deliver and they have the budget, they will be very glad in most cases to take you on as a full time employee.

if it's a small company, no. They are looking for cheap labour.
From what I've gathered, it's a nationwide financial services firm, locations in CA, DC, SC, NYC, WA, Germany, and England. According to linkedin, they have 50-200 employees. From this info, is it a large company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
YES

You need to make connections. That's how you get employed.
Cool thank you. I replied back so I guess I'll see how the interview goes.

Last edited by Boosane; 06-10-2014 at 09:54 PM..

Old 06-10-2014, 10:16 PM

174 posts, read 332,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post

From what I've gathered, it's a nationwide financial services firm, locations in CA, DC, SC, NYC, WA, Germany, and England. According to linkedin, they have 50-200 employees. From this info, is it a large company?
Not a large company, but a sizable one with a bit of a reputation I would assume. It should be good for your resume.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:20 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,851,865 times
I would take it

Old 06-10-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchan View Post
Not a large company, but a sizable one with a bit of a reputation I would assume. It should be good for your resume.
Thanks again for your reply. So do you think I should go for it and not expect to be used as free labor? I do want to mention that they were formed in 2007. But they do seem like a respected company for the most part. They have articles on the wall street journal and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I would take it
Thank you for your vote!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment