Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 06:08 AM

14,373 posts, read 18,466,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
There is such a thing as a menstrual migraine, and they are killers. There are a lot of symptoms that can go along with menstruation and some people have it worse than others. For the average person, there is no need to take off work. For some, there may be. As I said upthread, I don't think women should get extra time off for it. If it is that bad, it is a medical issue, and sick leave should be used.

Instead of bitching that some person somewhere suggested such a thing, the men here should just be glad they don't need it.
I'm a woman.

Like I implied in my post, what my friend who had extreme symptoms had wrong with her was NOT a typical PMS symptom, but more the fact that she got migraines. Migraines can be triggered by all sorts of things - weather, changes in body chemistry, exposure to certain foods or chemicals. She should have gotten sick leave for the MIGRAINES, not PMS and certainly not had some sort of built-in leave for that purpose. PMS was just her trigger, but she had a medical condition.

I had severe PMS symptoms and had to go on medication to deal with it. If a woman has PMS so severely she needs to take sick days, there is something else wrong that needs to be treated.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:13 PM

20,548 posts, read 17,857,112 times
I think women should be entitled an extra week of sick day and lose if not used.

Most male bosses are pretty open to it like myself but I hear from females that many female bosses don't like the idea and I don't know why.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:48 PM

4,599 posts, read 5,723,744 times
Question What happened to equal pay for equal work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I think women should be entitled an extra week of sick day and lose if not used. Most male bosses are pretty open to it like myself but I hear from females that many female bosses don't like the idea and I don't know why.
I can see why female bosses don't like the idea of giving women an extra benefit solely because of their genetics.

Many companies have eliminated "Sick Days" and only have a single PTO pool. So you're proposing that all women get an extra week of Paid Time Off, just for being female? What about transsexuals? Do only FTM pre-op trans folk get the extra week? Does HR need to reduce annual leave by 5 days after a hysterectomy?

Old 05-27-2014, 02:50 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,536,160 times
then men need some extra paid time for prostate problems if we're going to give women special privileges for feminine issues. so there now. ok? you like that one?

Old 05-27-2014, 03:25 PM

4,599 posts, read 5,723,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
then men need some extra paid time for prostate problems if we're going to give women special privileges for feminine issues. so there now. ok? you like that one?
Perfect. So all men over 40 get an extra week of PTO, as do all women under 50. Have your original factory-issued parts removed and you get nothing.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:19 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,825,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
A hysterectomy is a very serious procedure, which not only takes your ability to have children, but also essentially makes you post-menopausal (with all of those issues) way before your time. Most doctors won't even do the surgery on a younger woman, unless her symptoms are severe enough to affect more than just a few days/month.

And while I can't speak for every woman, typically the worst symptoms of a normal cycle only last 1-3 days... for me the first and second day suck, while the rest are completely tolerable. I rarely if ever take days off, but did suffer from fibroids before I had a full-time job; and if I had been working at the time, there's NO way I could have worked during the worst of it. Seriously, I would rather give birth without meds in the break room. You have no idea!

All of that being said, I still agree that regular sick leave or combined PTO should cover this - and that supervisors shouldn't even have to be given a reason, unless you've run out of PTO hours. A simple "I'm sick" should suffice, and if I had a boss who pried beyond that, I would tell them it's none of their business. Of course, I can do that as a public employee.
Exactly, I don't know if I'd do it because it does feel better to move around then to lay and wallow but maybe if it's a desk job or rather anything where I have to stay in one place for long periods of time especially if it's really hot. I remember in high school in one class working with computers, it was the worst nausea ever and I'm pretty sure it was because it was really hot. It seems like it affects it more.
As you get older, they get worse. I kinda thought the discomfort of periods were exaggerated before but now I understand other women better. Personally my main issue has been headaches, it's pretty much a given that I'm going to get a headache when I start and it's even more close to impossible to get rid of those vs. other causes and I just have to wait it out. It would depend on how bad it is though. If it's a mild headache I'll still come in most likely.
I know periods are something you're supposed to have but nothing about them can possibly seem natural so I don't know if it's fair to write them off as something that can't be an illness. If I lived on another planet, I would think there's something seriously wrong with women because I mean come on blood is cleansing? It feels so unsanitary because a) it smells rancid b) anywhere outside the lady's privates, blood is an indication that the body is damaged. Plus all the symptoms that come with it seem like a sick joke. I guess it helps though that I find the human body disgusting in general anyway.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:49 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,033,845 times
Oh please, we aren't delicate flowers that can't work through our periods! The US doesn't even have paid MATERNITY leave, how about we focus on that first, giving birth is MUCH harder and taxing than having your period!

Old 05-31-2014, 07:54 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,825,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Oh please, we aren't delicate flowers that can't work through our periods! The US doesn't even have paid MATERNITY leave, how about we focus on that first, giving birth is MUCH harder and taxing than having your period!
I am sure it's much harder but giving birth would be a choice so it can't be in the same category. I know accidents can happen though and having a child is okay to be a goal for someone so I do agree that the maternity leave should be paid but again like others have said there should be enough regular sick leave to allow for insufferable cycles.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:37 PM

658 posts, read 851,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If they do that and can't work, then they need to go see a doctor and get it fixed. Incapacitating periods are not at all normal either -- maybe they're caused by fibroids that need to be removed or endometriosis and that tissue needs to be removed.

The monthly bleeding for a woman is perfectly normal, perfectly natural, perfectly healthy, women can run marathons, triathlons, while on their period, not so a man bleeding.

All that you suggest a woman (who may not need these invasive procedures) do will still require time off from work. Some days are better than others for women.

Those perfectly healthy women who are able to run marathons, triathlons while on there cycles are not the women who would be candidates for the menstrual leave.

I guess you totally missed my point about the men having bleeding. It wasn't based on what's normal and abnormal. I am just tired of men trying to tell women what to do with their bodies as though they know what the hell is going on with a woman. Where do you all get off?

Old 05-31-2014, 10:26 PM

174 posts, read 284,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I think women should be entitled an extra week of sick day and lose if not used.

Most male bosses are pretty open to it like myself but I hear from females that many female bosses don't like the idea and I don't know why.
Female bosses probably see more potential for abuse. Not all women experience really bad menstrual symptoms, plus the age for the menopause varies greatly. But, I bet most women will use this extra week regardless, especially if they have limited vacation allowance (2 weeks). I personally would love extra sick days because I do suffer bad symptoms. I still came in to work when I was working on such days, but was not productive at all as the meds don't help 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment