Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 07:25 PM

210 posts, read 425,851 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have accepted a position with a new company and having to write a resignation letter to my current employer. Of course, I can just write "I quit... cya;" however, I care a great deal about this company as well as the overall success of several projects I am involved in. I am certain that these projects will not be as effective as they could be with my departure.

I am considering adding a sentence or so in my resignation letter letting the company know I would be willing to work remotely after work for like 2-3 hours as well as weekends. However, I am not sure if that's a good idea or not. While there are no right or wrong answers to this dilemma, I would appreciate some feedback from you.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 07:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
As a manager I would ignore that and cut you loose. You quit, and no one is indispensable. I'd move on with getting a replacement. If you were retiring, there might be a chance, but not quitting to accept a job elsewhere.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:11 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
If you believe the work you would do would be invaluable to the former company and you are willing to work extra hours to help them out (and make some extra $$$) it wouldn't hurt to at least try. Be very diplomatic and mention that you would be open to a short-term contract to assist in the project's completion.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:17 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
It's not a resignation, if your letter says you plan on staying. If you just want to work remote, then you don't need to mention leaving the company at all. It's just a change in hours.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
It's not a resignation, if your letter says you plan on staying. If you just want to work remote, then you don't need to mention leaving the company at all. It's just a change in hours.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. It is not a change in hours at all. I am leaving completely. I am relocating to a different state. My only thing is I would like to help with the successful implementation of these projects I mentioned, so I would be willing to work remotely as a consultant. It's very likely that they would offer that to me without me offering first. I am just wondering whether it is a good idea for me to suggest it on my resignation letter.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
As a manager I would ignore that and cut you loose. You quit, and no one is indispensable. I'd move on with getting a replacement. If you were retiring, there might be a chance, but not quitting to accept a job elsewhere.
Thanks, I appreciate your perspective... especially as a manager.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:40 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,467 times
A resignation letter is the wrong forum to express that kind of offer. You should do one of two things:

1. Negotiate a change in position before (or without) leaving the company
2. Contact the company after you have moved and been gone for a while and inquire about remote contract work.

Not all managers would be so quick to ignore a work who has left. Smart managers will recognize good people because good people make everyone's work lives easier.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:45 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,493,920 times
I think it is very noble of you to be willing to put in extra time to help shepherd these projects. However, keep in mind that starting a new job is all consuming while you learn your new company, culture, manager, co-workers, etc. It may seem like you'll have this extra time now, but that may change once you're in the new job. In my opinion, I think you would be better off making a clean break and being able to focus all of your energy in the new job. Congratulations and good luck!

Old 05-22-2014, 07:51 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Although it obviously doesn't hurt to ask, I generally agree with this statement.

Something else for the OP to think about, though. When I've changed jobs I've sometimes felt the way you've expressed about projects at the old employer. In those instances, what I've always found is that once I get started and get engaged in the new job, the desire to remain involved with past projects goes away pretty quickly. I actually did do a little contractor work with a prior employer once, and it quickly became a burden that I was happy to be rid of when the work was completed. Better to focus your energies on being successful in your new role.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:58 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
What type of compensation do you expect? As a manager, unless I also thought I couldn't do it without you, I'd say no thanks. If you are that critical to operations, why aren't they paying you to stay? I also think what you are doing is noble, but everyone of us can be replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment