Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 03:08 PM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times

Advertisements

Would you be willing to exit and work as an independent contractor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 04:23 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,682 times
It's amazing how nearly all the responses are in agreement that it doesn't belong in a resignation letter.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:18 PM

210 posts, read 426,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Another thing to consider is that your new employer may want you to sign an exclusivity agreement, preventing you from continuing to work with your former company. Especially if the new company is a competitor of the old company.
I did not know a company could do that. The company I am coming from is a very small fish in the pond compared the company I am going to. It's in a similar industry, but it is definitely not a competitor.

I am approaching my moment of truth, and the more I think about it the more I think I should probably just not mention it at all. I also take into consideration what some have said before regarding the workload in my new role may not permit me to take additional work.

I guess, I will decide at the time I submit the letter.

Old 05-29-2014, 03:29 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Not a good idea to include this in the resignation letter. Do this on a side bar with your boss. Like others said, the only way I see them saying yes is if they absolutely need you and you are the only one that can do the work (or if you retire and it might take you 2-3 months to restructure after you leave).

If they have little work for you, then say you would come back as a consultant when they have the work.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:24 AM

493 posts, read 980,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloupha View Post
Hello all,

I have accepted a position with a new company and having to write a resignation letter to my current employer. Of course, I can just write "I quit... cya;" however, I care a great deal about this company as well as the overall success of several projects I am involved in. I am certain that these projects will not be as effective as they could be with my departure.

I am considering adding a sentence or so in my resignation letter letting the company know I would be willing to work remotely after work for like 2-3 hours as well as weekends. However, I am not sure if that's a good idea or not. While there are no right or wrong answers to this dilemma, I would appreciate some feedback from you.

Thoughts?
I had a former co-worker who works with us outside of normal hours after he quit, but his situation was a bit different. We are a tiny company and he was literally irreplaceable. There are a lot of features of our application that he made from the ground up and nobody else knew what they were or how they worked. He kept in contact with the rest of the team after leaving and when he noticed the problems we were having he contacted the CEO and offered to work as a consultant after hours. This has worked great, but it was a really unique situation.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:41 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloupha View Post
I guess, I will decide at the time I submit the letter.
Speaking of conversations and submitting a resignation letter, I'm probably not the only one who hates finding a letter on my desk and then having a conversation with the person on my team who is leaving. In my opinion, it's far more professional to ask your manager if he/she has a moment to talk, and follow that up with, "Of course I'll put my resignation in writing so you have it for my file."

Any time you have a relationship with someone, it's better to have face time to discuss important issues. It may be more difficult, but I think it's the right way to handle it.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:19 PM

210 posts, read 426,202 times
Well, thank you everyone for your suggestions.

Ultimately, I decided to submit my resignation without saying anything. I also decided not to suggest doing consulting work. After a considerable amount of time thinking about this, I came to term that it was best to part and focus on my new job like some previous posters suggested. Additionally, my offer letter have some language that indirectly cautioned doing work with previous employer.

I provided my unofficial resignation verbally, and informed my employer I accepted an offer with a different company and that my formal official resignation would soon follow, unless something changed between the new employer and myself. Within a span of five days, I submitted my official resignation in writing.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:08 PM

50,765 posts, read 36,458,112 times
I would just talk to your bosses about it - I assume you're going to talk to them and not just hand them the letter? I don't think it needs to be written, a resignation letter is a courtesy to your employers or something they want as proof that you left the job of your own choosing. Probably no one will see it but HR people, and IMO it's the people you work under who can tell you if they can use you in some per diem capacity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment