Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 08:03 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times

Advertisements

I generally find that the more people feel that they're indespensable, the more readily they can be replaced.

If you're resigning, resign. If you are trying to work remotely, have that conversation. To be candid, I would be insulted to get a letter that said I'm leaving to pursue other opportunities, but if you're lost I can consult. The conflict of interest alone is staggering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 08:30 AM

210 posts, read 426,441 times
Wow, cool responses. Thank you everyone.

Regarding those comments about being irreplaceable. I honestly do not think I am indispensable, and I have been in the workforce long enough to know that nobody is irreplaceable. It doesn't matter how good you are (or you think you are), there is someone out there can do the job better than you and probably for less. So, i do not think I am all that. However, without delving into the company's information, I can confidently say that I am presently very valuable.

Regarding the company offering me more money to stay... I am almost certain that they will after I submit my resignation; however, I am not resigning because of money. I am relocating and they do not have offices in the location I am relocating to. Therefore, no counter offer would be suitable for me... not even telecommuting.

I think I am leaning toward not adding my willingness to temporarily work remotely in my resignation letter. If or when they ask, I will make a decision.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:57 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloupha View Post
Wow, cool responses. Thank you everyone.

Regarding those comments about being irreplaceable. I honestly do not think I am indispensable, and I have been in the workforce long enough to know that nobody is irreplaceable. It doesn't matter how good you are (or you think you are), there is someone out there can do the job better than you and probably for less. So, i do not think I am all that. However, without delving into the company's information, I can confidently say that I am presently very valuable.

Regarding the company offering me more money to stay... I am almost certain that they will after I submit my resignation; however, I am not resigning because of money. I am relocating and they do not have offices in the location I am relocating to. Therefore, no counter offer would be suitable for me... not even telecommuting.

I think I am leaning toward not adding my willingness to temporarily work remotely in my resignation letter. If or when they ask, I will make a decision.
Here's the other thing.

You're leaving for a reason. You know this. Your boss knows this.

Why would your boss be willing to hire you back on?

Old 05-22-2014, 09:25 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
I don't necessarily agree with not making the offer to consult. I left my previous company(on good terms) as a manager and had been in the middle of some proposals at the time. While I documented everything I was working on heavily I was concerned that they wouldn't know all the ins-and-outs of the discussions I had with the customer and engineers. When I turned in my resignation letter I put in the offer to work as consultant until contract award at a reduced pay rate. The owner and my manager quickly accepted and I worked from home a few hrs per week and generally just answered questions that arose until they got contract award. Never hurts to avoid burning a bride and over a year later I still get phone calls asking me to come back.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:31 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
I agree; the resignation letter is not the place for this communication.

Instead, schedule an appointment with your manager. Tell him/her that you're resigning to take another job, etc and hand him/her your letter. Then, make the offer verbally.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:34 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
I think that if want to make the offer to consult for your current company, do it. But, don't do it in a resignation letter. I would make the offer separately.

In my experience, they probably won't take you up on it, even if you are quite valuable to the company. At my last job I was handling many different types of tasks and was 1/3 of my department (which should have been about twice as large as it was in the first place). I had a TON on my plate. They didn't even make me a counter offer to stay, even after they initially told me they would. It was like at first they thought I was lying about having a new position available. So, when I told them I was leaving, they asked me to give 8 weeks notice. However, after their oddness with offering and then not offering a counter offer to me, I gave them exactly 2 weeks and left. I haven't heard from anyone there, but it appears they are still in busines and doing just fine. I suspect your current company will figure out a way to get by as well.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:36 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,529 times
My partner (romantic, not business) did a fair amount of contract work after leaving his company at the end of last year. I don't think it is as unorthodox or unappreciated as some posters here are making it out to be. He wasn't relocating, just taking his career in a different direction, so he stopped into the old office some nights and weekends until everything was wrapped up. It bears mentioning that this was a small company--I can't see the behemoth he works for now having any idea what to do with someone in that situation.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:56 AM

210 posts, read 426,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
Here's the other thing.

You're leaving for a reason. You know this. Your boss knows this.

Why would your boss be willing to hire you back on?
Well, the response to that question is somewhat irrelevant. I mean whether my boss would want to or not bears no weight on whether I let them know of my willingness to work remotely. Furthermore, the worst that could happen is they say no, and in this case I have more to gain than to lose since money isn't my reason for wanting to do this.

I am in agreement with those who reveberate that the resignation letter is not the right forum for this. I think I might make the offer verbally after I submit my resignation.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:21 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,279,131 times
Aloupha, I also think the resignation should be separate from the verbal offer to do some follow up. The manager will likely have to sell the idea to others if they need to have you consult. Be prepared to decide if you will work on an hourly rate or ask for a straight contract amount. Good luck!

Old 05-22-2014, 11:22 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,501,601 times
Another thing to consider is that your new employer may want you to sign an exclusivity agreement, preventing you from continuing to work with your former company. Especially if the new company is a competitor of the old company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment