Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 05:57 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,090,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Yeah but reserved doesn't mean anti-social. It just means you mostly only speak when you're spoken to so if a customer is complaining then naturally I'm going to answer their concerns.
So I don't know if the person you are referring to was really reserved.
At a call center is different because it's primarily a phone job but if I'm doing it in person, I don't have to say a whole lot.
You can be reserved without being anti-social and anti-social without being reserved. I am reserved where I'll have better conversations if I know who people are which I am sure most people are actually like. Does that mean I wont strike up conversations at work with employees and customers, no. I can "fake it" (as some would call it.)

As for if the person was anti-social, perhaps it was their attitude and not just that they couldn't be bothered to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 06:57 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,287,045 times
Quote:
Yeah but reserved doesn't mean anti-social. It just means you mostly only speak when you're spoken to so if a customer is complaining then naturally I'm going to answer their concerns.
So I don't know if the person you are referring to was really reserved.
At a call center is different because it's primarily a phone job but if I'm doing it in person, I don't have to say a whole lot.
Remember a interview is about selling your personality because they want to see how you fit in with everyone else

Old 10-26-2014, 07:11 PM

13,017 posts, read 19,031,632 times
If they give up looking, they aren't counted as "umemployed."

Old 10-26-2014, 07:27 PM

5,158 posts, read 4,664,357 times
Quote:
I have a lot of things counting against me I'm sure but that's one of the things with me (the first thing obviously). I can't market myself. Being in the spotlight is really intimidating to me. I do try but everytime I do I just fail.
But at the same time I don't understand why it's so important, when you have a job (even retail) why does it matter? You're on a team you're not doing it by yourself and you're not really trying to sell anything (unless you're doing something like Avon) I could see it if I was looking to be a singer or an actress but if you're a sales associate you're just answering people's questions and being friendly. Just because I have trouble putting myself out there doesn't mean I can't do it. In fact that should be a good thing. If I don't feel comfortable with the attention that will make me more motivated to put the attention on the company.
It's just so stupid. People need to stop thinking in black and white and look past my reserved nature and I don't think they do otherwise I'd at least get more interviews.
If only I could get a do over I would have told Target all this but somehow it was erased from my head.
I agree with this. I have trouble with being in the spot light. I do have one job, but it's really part time and I need a 2nd job. It seems like if I do get an interview around here, some companies don't like the fact I have a part time job and will continue working that - even when I tell them their company will be #1 and the library is flexible. However, I get nervous/anxious in interviews too and mess up. It's bad. Even with all the practices, I just mess up. Being on the spot is just bad.

When I was looking to relocate, phone interviews were just as blah.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:09 PM

444 posts, read 586,547 times
Default Various Reasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
Poll: Almost Half of Unemployed Have 'Completely Given Up' on Looking for Job | National Review Online

I don't understand how you can just "give up"? How do you pay your bills? Do they go onto Disability or Welfare? Sure, I understand wanting to give up but that's not a financial option for me.
There are different reasons. Some examples are:

1. Someone's spouse could have been laid-off, qualified for unemployment, but the family didn't require the second income once unemployment ran out.

2. Banks are not throwing people out of foreclosed homes, in some cases going on 2 years. A single family income could cover basic expenses without the second income. Yeah its a risk but it happens every day.

3. Death, disability, go back to school, move home (numbers count people 16 and older), move out of country, work under the table work, and retire...these are all possible situations after unemployment ends, etc. These small 0.25 to 0.50% numbers can ultimately add up to the what is it 315K people per month.

Mis Dos Centavos

Old 10-26-2014, 09:12 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,831,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I agree with this. I have trouble with being in the spot light. I do have one job, but it's really part time and I need a 2nd job. It seems like if I do get an interview around here, some companies don't like the fact I have a part time job and will continue working that - even when I tell them their company will be #1 and the library is flexible. However, I get nervous/anxious in interviews too and mess up. It's bad. Even with all the practices, I just mess up. Being on the spot is just bad.

That's strange I thought it was easier to get work when you already are working.
I'm still pretty reserved online but more open than IRL. I think it is the writer in me. Sometimes I even say a little too much at least when I'm depressed I guess so in a way I'm almost opposite. It's weird but I think if I could get an interview by email I'd do well (I wouldn't say too much because I'm not that stupid heh) I could probably do it but sadly it doesn't work that way.
The only closest thing is LinkedIn but the fact that you're not at all anonymous makes me uncomfortable.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:12 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,090,099 times
Quote:

The only phone interviews I had were phone screen interviews unless it was say Tele Tech who did it as a phone recording interview. The bulk of my interviews that I would get were in person but it's hard to tell if you get better at them like others think because some companies do things differently, especially off you apply for various positions.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:51 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,323,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Precisely.

That article is flawed in a few other ways - the people responding say they "agree to to some degree" with the statement that they've given up looking for work, which then gets them all lumped into the same category as people who have "given up" looking for work. Without knowing the exact question or what counts as "agreeing to some degree," we can't really say they've "given up looking for work." I seriously doubt nearly half of those out of work have truly given up completely: they make lack hope, have run out of jobs to apply to, etc. but there's a vast difference between that and truly "giving up."

Also, no, there are not "plenty of jobs out there," and I am dang tired of having to remind people of the easily available facts on the subject:

http://www.bls.gov/web/jolts/jlt_labstatgraphs.pdf

That's 2.6 people out of work per job opening, and that's if you believe the laughably optimistic U3 unemployment number. When you use the more realistic U6 number, you're left with about 5.1 people out of work or badly underemployed per job opening. There are not enough jobs to go around - nowhere near it - so the system is instead attempting to define the long-term unemployed (along with the badly underemployed, etc.) out of existence so they can continue to play pretend that we're in a "Recovery."
Yep. The truth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EamO7-ITtbo

Making 9 Million Jobless "Vanish": How The Government Manipulates Unemployment Statistics by Daniel Amerman

Old 10-27-2014, 07:05 PM

35,341 posts, read 31,773,160 times
Quote:

The nervousness is something you can improve upon though.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:12 PM

7,956 posts, read 7,920,842 times
Eh. it is easy to point at U6 but it leaves out so much more.

1) Technically someone does not have to have a job to have income. To suggest that is highly misleading at best. The accumulation of assets and reselling does NOT show up on BLS. If a couple that is 64 years old makes their income from airbnb that does not show, a lyft driver does not show, a zilok renter does now show etc.

2) How much in new job growth is reflected with retirements? Every day 10-11,000 baby boomers retire. If the jobs are posted it is not a "new" job but no one can realistically ignore the fact that each month about 300,000 are leaving the workforce due to retirement. That's 3.6 million a year and 36 million in ten. Someone might reply and say the baby boomers cannot afford to retire. Well some might but that's not really the point. When you have social security or a pension and medicare and the potential for disability that acts as an incentive to not work. This is why the participation rate is decreasing. Unless we see a population surge it will continue to decline. Also remember is that they can't realistically automate the jobs otherwise we'd see large amounts of capital projects in corporate america, we don't see that at all. Can't give the work to others because that simply provides less of a reason to work there. Companies are scared #%@^less about their image. They don't control anything anymore. The 1990's are over.

3) How much specifically is being inherited? Not to suggest that death happens instantly after retirement but how many houses, cars, investments are going to passed down as well. We are going to see the biggest transfer of wealth in this country so even if someone doesn't have much for income they will inherit assets.

It is not a matter of saying there are plenty of jobs out there but I'd argue some of the mismatch is that we have a baby boomer generation retiring and if they are still looking for work are bumping into a reality that checks (background drug, credit) are the norm. Even volunteers need to be checked if they work directly with the public, children, food etc. Meanwhile there can be a lack of training programs.

I can tell you that yes there are jobs out there but the method and means to find them is different and not everyone knows how to do the right things. For example can they make out a resume, make out a cover letter, interview right etc. At the same point I can tell you in government much of the time if there is a meeting about a position hardly anyone shows up. Those that do are far more apt to get those positions rather then ones that just send an application and leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment