Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 07:44 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,864,064 times

Advertisements

I do sympathize though. A sarcastic, negative boss is a fear-based boss, and a fear-based boss will affect the mood, attitude, and productivity of an entire department. Employees typically look to their leader to set the tone of the team. If the boss is in a state of chaos, anger, or unhappiness internally, their employees will feel that and will often mirror it.

I had a boss who was very sarcastic, and often played tricks on her employees. Just silly things, like saying they were in trouble when they really weren't. But little, dishonest things like that erode trust and rapport over time. As a manager, if you want to build trust between yourself and your employees, you HAVE to be transparent (as much as is professionally appropriate) and you HAVE to interact with integrity and benevolence. Anything less than that is fearful behavior and will breed an environment of fear and distrust. And what's worse is the good employees won't feel comfortable being themselves in the first place - so what you're left with is an uncomfortable, stifled group of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 02:56 PM

46 posts, read 35,040 times
Look around. Is your boss an ass to anyone else in the office, or is it just you? If it's just you, you're the problem and you need to straighten up and fly right.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:26 PM

7,986 posts, read 5,041,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenale View Post
She is very sarcastic in general and speaks in a very harsh tone. Can I complain to HR about the tone she uses that I find offensive?
You can complain to HR but nothing will be done. They are there to protect the company. Not the workers. Does your company have those "Employee feedback, Morale surveys" where you can complain? Of course that isn't much use either. The problems generally remain after that. The only thing you can do is quit or wait for layoffs sadly this day in age. Companies don't do **** about addressing and FIXING problems. They sweep them under the rug and hope they will go away. At least until the place ultimately crashes and burns.

Just leave. Theres no way to fix a company when they company begins to ROT since they will never action

Old 10-29-2017, 05:28 PM

7,986 posts, read 5,041,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor8712 View Post
Look around. Is your boss an ass to anyone else in the office, or is it just you? If it's just you, you're the problem and you need to straighten up and fly right.
Theres no reason for a boss to be an ass to anyone. You can remain professional and get your point across and lead without being Stalin

Old 10-31-2017, 09:01 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,303,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenale View Post
She is very sarcastic in general and speaks in a very harsh tone. Can I complain to HR about the tone she uses that I find offensive?
Not until you work on your own inadequacies. Even then, I would avoid the HR thing at all costs. They are not there for the reasons you think they are. In other words....they are NOT your advocate.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:32 AM

13,309 posts, read 8,589,275 times
this topic is three years old. Im sure the OP has resolved this matter by now.
I do enjoy reading over old posts to garner insight ...just not sure this post helps the OP much at this stage.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:12 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,821,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
this topic is three years old. Im sure the OP has resolved this matter by now.
I do enjoy reading over old posts to garner insight ...just not sure this post helps the OP much at this stage.
I wonder how the situation played out. If I had to guess the OP is no longer employed at that company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment