Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2014, 11:17 AM

821 posts, read 1,105,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Umm..No one DOES owe you a job/living. I don't understand why people are upset about it. It's not like you deserve a job just because you exist.
Did anyone here say they're owed a job because they exist? I haven't read anyone stating this.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:07 PM

6,903 posts, read 7,678,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
They're hiring in the meat packing plants of Garden City, KS.
They're hiring in the turkey processing plants of Worthington, MN.
They're hiring in the Winnebago construction plant of Forrest City, IA.
And everywhere I've ever lived a handyman who doesn't drink can work continuously and ask whatever hourly wage he wants.

All of the above to my certain knowledge.

So - give me your reasons why you don't go to these places and take these jobs?

I note that nobody is answering this one!

No one owes you a job that you will LIKE.

But a well functioning society should have enough jobs that provide citizens with a living wage.

It is possible to live on a meat packing plant, handyman, etc. wage. But maybe not to live in a way that you would LIKE.

I see these threads and I jump in to say the obvious, then find, once again, that there are some of you who spend your time whining on the internet instead of looking for work or doing odd jobs. If you have time enough to write a thread for this forum you have time enough to find and do an odd job. Just knock on the door of any old lady like myself - I've been looking for two weeks for someone to hang some doors for me!

Old 03-12-2014, 12:08 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,419,532 times
How is the hiring process at those places? Paper application or apply online? Because it's the hiring process that is the problem for most people.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:10 PM

973 posts, read 1,459,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
If "someone" paid for your education, then YOU OWE THEM and not the other way around.
I only put that in, because I know a ton of people are going to come either they got scholarships or someone paid for it for them. A degree is a way to make more money. There's no point in going to college if you can't get a job out of it.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:37 PM

7,470 posts, read 7,066,409 times
Quote:
I note that nobody is answering this one!

No one owes you a job that you will LIKE.

But a well functioning society should have enough jobs that provide citizens with a living wage.

It is possible to live on a meat packing plant, handyman, etc. wage. But maybe not to live in a way that you would LIKE.

I see these threads and I jump in to say the obvious, then find, once again, that there are some of you who spend your time whining on the internet instead of looking for work or doing odd jobs. If you have time enough to write a thread for this forum you have time enough to find and do an odd job. Just knock on the door of any old lady like myself - I've been looking for two weeks for someone to hang some doors for me!
With all due respect, one can easily post on this forum and apply to dozens of jobs a day. The internet is great like that... I grow very tired of people assuming that those who take the time to vent their valid frustrations are also "not doing anything about it." Have we grown so shallow as a society that we simply assume people can't do 2 different things in the same day and that anyone pointing out a problem is "not doing anything to fix it?" Seems like more shoot-the-messenger nonsense to me.

Secondly, most of the jobs you list do not actually pay a living wage... unless you're not aware of what has happened to most of those once available, bottom-end jobs... The answer is: illegal aliens took those jobs years ago. Why? Cheap, exploitable labor - the same reason the nation continues to bleed out jobs with living wages.

Third, most of the jobs listed are simply not practical for anyone in poor healthy, with disabilities, or who's middle-aged or older. Again, in the past our society wasn't so eager to dispose of those "excess people," but now that our leaders seem to be taking a Logan's Run approach to things... well, just don't end up old since it'll kill your career chances.

Good luck finding somebody to hang your doors... and try to hire a company that doesn't employ illegals to do that work for you. At least give an American a few bucks for it.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:04 PM

6,903 posts, read 7,678,748 times
The illegal aliens are sending money home to their families in other countries and living in tiny homes with minimal furnishings. In the places I mentioned they have food, plumbing, and electricity. Their children attend public school. It's not an easy life, but it IS a living.

I have more respect for illegal aliens who do this in America than for native born lazy buds. I would gladly import more South Americans and Africans who aren't afraid to work and in exchange export people like many of the posters here.

If all you're doing to find work is looking on the internet you are a complete lackwit. Which is why you're unemployed.

My final post on the subject: NO ONE OWES YOU A JOB THAT YOU WILL LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-12-2014, 01:17 PM

7,470 posts, read 7,066,409 times
Quote:
The illegal aliens are sending money home to their families in other countries and living in tiny homes with minimal furnishings. In the places I mentioned they have food, plumbing, and electricity. Their children attend public school. It's not an easy life, but it IS a living.

I have more respect for illegal aliens who do this in America than for native born lazy buds. I would gladly import more South Americans and Africans who aren't afraid to work and in exchange export people like many of the posters here.

If all you're doing to find work is looking on the internet you are a complete lackwit. Which is why you're unemployed.

My final post on the subject: NO ONE OWES YOU A JOB THAT YOU WILL LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The illegals have stolen many of our jobs - you know, the jobs that you claim still exist in great number and which are good examples of "jobs that you may not like, but at least pay a decent wage."

Well, guess what - those jobs no longer pay a living wage thanks to labor exploitation, illegals, overseas labor, visa workers, etc. So, while you rant and rave about people being "lackwits" for not finding all those jobs out there, you also clearly support the very people who have eliminated those positions. Seems like the lackwit isn't the people out of work, but the ranting forum poster who supports cheap labor replacing his countrymen's jobs.

Also, good job on ignoring economic realities. The reason illegals can fund their relatives back home who live in small, but tolerable conditions is because the cost of living is far less in those impoverished nations so a tiny bit of extra cash goes a long way. If the cost of living in America also fell to those levels, even minimum wage would look great, but we're talking about the trouble people have finding jobs that pay a living wage in American, not in some 3rd world nation.

Finally, the illegals in this nation who do manage to live together in small apartments or other tolerable conditions do so by cheating the system: they get paid under the table, so no income taxes, and they exploit countless welfare programs... heck, plenty of them are also involved in fraud. So, unless you're also supporting that type of behavior, no, Americans can't all just take illegal alien wages to earn a living in America.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:26 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,072,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Umm..No one DOES owe you a job/living. I don't understand why people are upset about it. It's not like you deserve a job just because you exist.
If you didn't have to pay for food, water or shelter, I would say yes but it isn't as simple as that now a days. Especially if you have to live out on the streets, there is no way to be taken seriously for a job if you look like a bum because you have fallen through the cracks. That is the problem with that logic. You need a job to pay for needs but there aren't enough job opportunities to go around.

Old 03-12-2014, 01:47 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,829,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Owe and deserve do not mean the same thing. When a person is owed something they have an absolute obligation to receive it. When a person deserves something it means they are worthy of receiving it. Being worthy of receiving something does not mean you have an absolute right to believe it.

The idea of owing someone money is a good example. If I borrow money from someone I owe it to them. I must pay it to them. If someone I know deserves money that does not mean I owe them anything. They may deserve money because they really need it but there is nobody who owes the money to them.

If people are owed jobs what entity or entities owes those jobs to those people?
That's why I said people owe me money but I deserve it because they owe me money. In the case of the phrase "no one owes you a job" it can mean the same thing because employers owe you a job if you're a good candidate for their business. It's just bad business otherwise if you discriminate people. Now granted there's nothing forcing them to but they SHOULD in this case.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:03 PM

360 posts, read 668,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
Speaking of owing. My director and I recently hired someone for a new position, a new grad. Being I was the one who wrote the job posting, I encouraged new grads to apply for the position. We hired someone quickly because we did not have much time to fill the position. If I have it correct, we received eight applications and three job seekers sent them in quickly enough for interviewing the first week the ad went up. We interviewed all three and accepted the new grad.

I contacted two of the interviewees not accepted and all those who applied, and even had conversations with some of them about our profession. Why did I do this? Because morally speaking, I feel that I owe fellow decent professionals and HUMAN BEINGS good treatment, especially when some of them are desperately trying to find work or even start their careers!

Of the three people we interviewed, all we good, two are currently employed and obviously know how to do their jobs well, and the one we accepted is a recent grad who was trying to find her first job in her profession. So, being that we couldn't hire all three and we could only pick one, I chose to hire the new grad because the other two were working, had some experience, and because I morally felt that I "OWED" a noob a fair shot, even though it inconvenienced ME to train her! People said to me stuff like, "Oh, someone with no experience. You're gonna have to train her; that's more work on your plate."

Another person said, "She has no experience. That's rough." I replied, "Didn't YOU at one time have no experience? You had to be hired to get the experience, right?! Imagine if no one gave you a shot!" No response from her after that.

^^^^This. You are a good person. Period. I wish more HR professionals were like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment