Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 02:04 PM

258 posts, read 456,804 times

Advertisements

Hey all, a few weeks back I posted a thread complaining that I couldn't get a teller job and felt stuck only being able to find retail work. Well, this week I received a sudden call to interview at my local Bank of America branch and the next day got the job (sweet), so I should shut the hell up until it finally works out.

Anyway, two somewhat unrelated questions:

I have applications still pending at Verizon and Home Depot. If they reject I'm not going to care now that I have something, but if one of them offers (Verizon especially), what's the best way to tell your new employer that you've also taken on another job? Vice versa for the employer that just offered, saying you just accepted another part time offer as well?

Also, I have a BS in Graphic Design and I'd like to use one of the freelancing websites to find paid projects to do on the side, and perhaps it can also lead to experience. My question on this is based on experience, what is the best site to use for a first timer to these types of sites? I've tried Odesk, Guru, Elance, and Freelancer, and found them all confusing and overwhelming. I want to just concentrate on one site. I don't mind going back to one of those four if I could learn the ropes a little better.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 02:49 PM

420 posts, read 768,326 times
I don't know about the terms of use for this forum, but there are several Graphic Design and Web Dev. Forums that have freelance sections that can pay well One is called V7 or something. Google. I tend to find that online free lancing is hugely hit or miss and if you have the appropriate skills you can probably find contact work that would be worth your time on the side.

In my opinion you should stay with the bank job or possibly Verizon if it isn't kiosk work. A bank teller has way more options down the line than someone at a Home Depot. Seriously, that place sucks, its like a magnet for rtards and burnouts. If you really must quit, just tell them asap that you have accepted a better opportunity. You can see if they will match the benefits but it is starting off poorly.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:53 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Never tell another employer that you are working another job, period. That is your business and nobody else's.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Why would you tell them except for scheduling issues?

Old 03-06-2014, 07:12 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaekn View Post
Home Depot. Seriously, that place sucks, its like a magnet for rtards and burnouts.
Really? I've always found the employees at every Home Depot I've been to (which admittedly, hasn't been very many) to be of great help and quite knowledgeable. And many of the employees seem happy, not burnt out at all.

I'm really surprised.

Anyway, I agree with the one that said you don't have tot ell your employer/s anything unless it's a scheduling issue.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:14 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,642,528 times
I would keep my mouth shout about a 2nd job company hate that for a lot of reasons. Heck I am not tell job I am going back to college they just will hate you for it.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:23 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Never tell another employer that you are working another job, period. That is your business and nobody else's.
Some places require secondary employment forms to be filled out. Of course if they do not require one there is no need to inform them. If they do though you should.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:01 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,949 times
Well, Verizon and Home Depot are always having layoffs, but bank jobs are secure. I'd keep the bank teller job for security in this economy. As far as having a second job and informing your primary employer: Any job that has a security risk usually has a clause about that sort of thing. I'd check to see if they care and, if they do, play by their rules. Good luck!

Old 03-06-2014, 10:17 PM

258 posts, read 456,804 times
I definitely consider Bank of America to be my primary employer, couldn't be happier about that. The only reason I brought up the second job thing was because of the aforementioned issue with scheduling.

The last time I tried to have two jobs, one liked to make their schedule for the following week on Thursday or Friday, they were literally impossible to deal with. I've felt cautious about trying it again even though that was a ****ty retail job, actually one of the companies that opened their stores on Thanksgiving afternoon last year (luckily I was gone by then) so you know they care about their employees.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:21 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,894,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarot View Post
Hey all, a few weeks back I posted a thread complaining that I couldn't get a teller job and felt stuck only being able to find retail work. Well, this week I received a sudden call to interview at my local Bank of America branch and the next day got the job (sweet), so I should shut the hell up until it finally works out.

Anyway, two somewhat unrelated questions:

I have applications still pending at Verizon and Home Depot. If they reject I'm not going to care now that I have something, but if one of them offers (Verizon especially), what's the best way to tell your new employer that you've also taken on another job? Vice versa for the employer that just offered, saying you just accepted another part time offer as well?

Also, I have a BS in Graphic Design and I'd like to use one of the freelancing websites to find paid projects to do on the side, and perhaps it can also lead to experience. My question on this is based on experience, what is the best site to use for a first timer to these types of sites? I've tried Odesk, Guru, Elance, and Freelancer, and found them all confusing and overwhelming. I want to just concentrate on one site. I don't mind going back to one of those four if I could learn the ropes a little better.

Thanks in advance for the help.
People work two jobs all the time. For decades. Sometimes people have a full time job and work another smaller one part time.

It's not their business UNLESS:

You work for a company that has a work agreement that you will not work for a competitor (or other type of conflict like working for a customer)

OBVIOUSLY, you shouldn't take a second job that is going to conflict with your primary job's schedule. Pick one.

Oh wait. These are both part time? That's going to be challenging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment