Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 08:25 AM

49 posts, read 72,738 times

Advertisements

You don't have to tell BofA. Most likely as a teller, you will work a set schedule. However you may have to be upfront with HD and Verizon about not being able to work certain hours. Myself, having worked in retail before and having a sibling that has worked for Verizon Wireless, they tend to schedule you all over the place if they believe that you have open availability. Another thing is, my brother had to go through training at Verizon that took place during the day when he got hired. You might want to ask about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 09:23 AM

420 posts, read 772,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Really? I've always found the employees at every Home Depot I've been to (which admittedly, hasn't been very many) to be of great help and quite knowledgeable. And many of the employees seem happy, not burnt out at all.

I'm really surprised.

Anyway, I agree with the one that said you don't have tot ell your employer/s anything unless it's a scheduling issue.

HD in my area is famous for being awful. Even the competitor, Lowes, isn't much better around here. Glad to hear you had a better experience with them though.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:32 AM

8,111 posts, read 10,195,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Some places require secondary employment forms to be filled out. Of course if they do not require one there is no need to inform them. If they do though you should.
Working at a "financial institution" is a little different. You may have to disclose to B of A for financial reasons....i.e., they are concerned about someone who is handling money and needs a second job to make ends meet. It raises the chance that you might do something untoward with their money if you are 'desperate'. Same reason they do a credit check on you.....

I am not saying you are a risk; I am just saying that you might have to disclose, if not for regulatory reasons, for company policy reasons, that you have a second job.

No reason , probably, why they would make a stink about it if it is in an unrelated industry, as I would suggest HD or VZ are, but they still may require that you disclose the secondary employment.

On the financial markets (financial consultant/stockbroker) side, you definitely would have to disclose to your employer (could be B of A), and to the regulating agency.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:43 AM

7,031 posts, read 14,567,884 times
I would only do this if all of the following apply:

1) You've been a reasonably great performer at your job.
2) You've not been able to get a raise to boost your salary to your market value.
3) You've not been able to find another job that pays a better salary.

The message you're sending to your employer is that you're not happy with your pay and you are willing to put in time and effort outside of your company to get it. Nothing wrong with this thinking but your employer probably won't look upon it favorably.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:36 PM

265 posts, read 411,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Why would you tell them except for scheduling issues?
This. If you're working two part-time jobs, you should only feel compelled to mention the other to your employer if you're going to have scheduling conflicts. There is zero obligation to divulge you are working elsewhere, or even doing independent contractor work whenever you can. Of course how 'light' or 'open' an enviroment you work in might incline one to be a bit more forthcoming. However, I would say that divulging your second job is only advisable if you don't care at all about moving up in said company. I believe it's rare an employer would want to promote someone they don't feel is fully and solely committed (be it a ft or pt ball and chain) to their job. On the other hand, it might be just the thing you could use to move up if your skill set is in such high-demand that losing you would be a big blow.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:35 AM

38,922 posts, read 24,106,913 times
Don't use e-lance unless you want to undercut Asians charging under $4.00 an hour. Seriously, E-lance has a lot of that happening. Coincidentally I heard of it from a New Zealander.

That is the only freelance website I've actually heard of.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:47 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,435,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarot View Post
Hey all, a few weeks back I posted a thread complaining that I couldn't get a teller job and felt stuck only being able to find retail work. Well, this week I received a sudden call to interview at my local Bank of America branch and the next day got the job (sweet), so I should shut the hell up until it finally works out.

Anyway, two somewhat unrelated questions:

I have applications still pending at Verizon and Home Depot. If they reject I'm not going to care now that I have something, but if one of them offers (Verizon especially), what's the best way to tell your new employer that you've also taken on another job? Vice versa for the employer that just offered, saying you just accepted another part time offer as well?

Also, I have a BS in Graphic Design and I'd like to use one of the freelancing websites to find paid projects to do on the side, and perhaps it can also lead to experience. My question on this is based on experience, what is the best site to use for a first timer to these types of sites? I've tried Odesk, Guru, Elance, and Freelancer, and found them all confusing and overwhelming. I want to just concentrate on one site. I don't mind going back to one of those four if I could learn the ropes a little better.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Totally agree with ccm123's advice! The less any employer, and your fellow employees, know about you, the better. Assume the worst outcome from any info you give to anybody else about yourself - they will use it against you.

You sound very, very young, sort of like a puppy. This is not a place where you go to make pals or to develop a social life. Engage in superficial niceties, as they are necessary to preserve civil discourse. But nobody gets inside your personal space.

Interestingly, it is the careful cultivation of an aura of personal space that allows C-level executives to maintain their equanimity and dignity, regardless of the crises around them. And it is the bubbly, perky, overly familiar personae of entry level workers that keeps them at entry level forever. If your're OK with this, fine. Just understand the dynamics.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:13 PM

38 posts, read 58,761 times
I would try Craigslist gigs as a way to gain new freelancing jobs. If you play your cards right you can land a few gigs that will add up to a nice chunk of change. AND be sure your resume is airtight!

Old 03-09-2014, 10:02 PM

122 posts, read 156,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarot View Post
Also, I have a BS in Graphic Design and I'd like to use one of the freelancing websites to find paid projects to do on the side, and perhaps it can also lead to experience. My question on this is based on experience, what is the best site to use for a first timer to these types of sites? I've tried Odesk, Guru, Elance, and Freelancer, and found them all confusing and overwhelming. I want to just concentrate on one site. I don't mind going back to one of those four if I could learn the ropes a little better.

Thanks in advance for the help.
I might know a list of online job sites that might be perfect for you. Check this out ( https://www.staff.com/blog/list-of-u...posting-sites/ ). It's got different job sites that ranges from popular general purpose job sites like LinkedIn to sites that are better for a specific type of specialty (like in your case, Graphic/Web Designing). I hope it helps. Good luck!

Old 03-09-2014, 10:58 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,303,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Never tell another employer that you are working another job, period. That is your business and nobody else's.

Especially when that other job can be something in a person's preferred field and can lead to resignation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment