Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 05:25 PM

128 posts, read 373,688 times

Advertisements

Computer science is easily one of the very best undergraduate degrees you can get in terms of marketability. Demand is higher than supply, and computer scientists get paid very well. Make sure you have interest in it though.

I'd also recommend MIS/IS/CIS/CE but I think CS is the best degree out of all of these. I have a degree in IS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 05:30 PM

769 posts, read 979,058 times
I have a BS in Business Adminstration - IT and a MS in Management - IT.

I didn't get either of my degrees until I was in the field for a while. The job pushed me to get the piece of paper because they can bill me out for more.

Now I am getting certifications. After I am done with my CISSP I am going to start a Master's in Systems Engineering. Not because I will get that much more $$ but because I enjoy learning. I pay for a class at a time and my job reimburses me if my grade is passable. IF I got a Master's in teaching or something..I wouldn't get reimbursed.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:10 PM

4,664 posts, read 4,569,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is a good list to go by. Just stick to the top 11.
I would say stick to the top 17, but I'm biased.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:44 PM

819 posts, read 1,416,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
You don't need to be a computer scientist to understand big data and map reduce.
Actually that's backwards; you don't need to be a computer scientist to implement big data and map reduce, but you do to understand it. I've met many IT 'professionals' who have the experience to know what worked before in dealing with large data sets, etc. so they know how to do the same thing they learned elsewhere, but they don't understand why what they learned before actually does what it does and if things deviate from what they know, they're at a loss.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:21 PM

5,590 posts, read 3,988,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
I would say stick to the top 17, but I'm biased.
You guys both fail. There's a top 12 and a top 19 on that list, but no top 11 or top 17.

Haha. So where'd you go, Harvard, Columbia, or Penn?

Old 03-05-2014, 11:24 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,847,660 times
Would love to get a CS Degree, but would take years building up my math skills.

Old 03-05-2014, 11:33 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,219,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
Would love to get a CS Degree, but would take years building up my math skills.
A lot of people think this. But just like in high school, you can get a private tutor. I'm confident that most people can get so much farther with private instruction from a professional tutor than in a classroom environment.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:15 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,847,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
A lot of people think this. But just like in high school, you can get a private tutor. I'm confident that most people can get so much farther with private instruction from a professional tutor than in a classroom environment.
id need to take intermediate algebra, college algreba 1, college algebra 2 just to get to calc 1. for CS, you need to get through calc 2. these are requirements at least for the university of minnesota cs program that i assume are pretty normal nationwide. the highest you can test into is calc 1.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:26 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,606,187 times
They should reduce the math. its pointless. I understand why it was there initially. Computer science deals a lot with Logic, which is a field of math. But I still don't see the point of the calculus sequence. I understand that it prepares you for more abstract mathematics, but do you really need to waste your time? I think not. But there is a lot of fat in computer science. most curriculums are just built to be unnecessarily difficult, than to be beneficial to the student.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:30 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,219,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
IT employers have never been particularly strict about degrees. IT is a 'what can you do' industry, and no piece of paper really can tell anyone that. With that said you'll always find the odd manager who wants degrees and care less about experience. Manu of them are people who came from other countries, particularly India. Most of them have horrible management styles anyway. Some of the better managers I've worked under could care less about degrees.

For the record, I make over 6 figures, no degree, work at a big tech company, and I do a lot more than desktop support. Actually my job is highly technical and it can't be done without years of experience.
This thread is about computer science. A field that is much more complex than IT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment