Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 03:47 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,312,060 times

Advertisements

Ok, so it seems these days everyone's job is at risk of being offshored to a cheap labor market. One of the career fields I hear about that is most at risk is computer programming. Now, I've always had a passion for computers and learning how they work. I took courses at a vocational school that helped me learn some basic programming skills and web design skills. I even started my degree in computer science before I learned about how so many programming jobs were being shipped overseas.

I would like to know from anyone who is in the field now (preferrably someone relatively new to it) if I should bother learning programming. I have a bachelor's degree already, and before I make the mistake of investing in another education that is hardly worth anything to employers, I want to know how lucrative these skills would be in the present job market. I have a pretty concrete understanding of C++ and basic programming algorithms. I would like to advance these skills by pursuing a certification of some sort.

First, is this a dying career field in the US? Is it true that it's extremely difficult to compete with the cheap labor from India? Secondly, if you still consider it a lucrative career field, where would someone who's relatively new to the field start? Most job postings I see in IT require some ridiculous amount of experience (10+ years, etc.) Thirdly, which languages/concepts would a beginner need to pick up immediately? I'm considering an A+ Certification as well as a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer Cert. Would these provide a good starting point or be a waste of time to pursue?

Any advice on breaking into this field would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 04:17 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Some I/T careers are still in very strong demand. Get into high level network security--that's never getting outsourced to India.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:37 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Some I/T careers are still in very strong demand. Get into high level network security--that's never getting outsourced to India.
It has with some companies that hire an Indian contractor (even the very large ones like Infosys, Tata, etc.) and don't know it's being outsourced behind their backs. They also will bring their Indian employees in on L visas to do it.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:40 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
To the OP:

Send a DM to "hnsq." I believe he is in the IT programming field and is in his early-mid 20's, so he probably is relatively new to it.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
To the OP:

Send a DM to "hnsq." I believe he is in the IT programming field and is in his early-mid 20's, so he probably is relatively new to it.
Thanks. I'll certainly try that.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:36 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
I dunno, I've been slowly trying to get out of it... sure there are jobs... but ...yeah the outlook is getting worse, and pay isn't what it used to be...

do it if you love it... i would absolutely not do it though if you are in it for the $...

If you do database or network engineering/security.. be aware that many companies only have ONE position for this... and multiple programmers/qa/pm/etc. etc.

They don't require that experience b/c it takes 10 years to learn it... it is just a saturated job market and they know they can get somebody relatively overqualified for it. So why take the risk on a newb?

Old 09-30-2009, 09:42 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
My brother in law was hired at a defense contracting firm right out of college making $80k/yr. They even paid for his security clearance. Seems to me that is the area to get into.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:58 PM

so far, from all of your stories, it seems like it's give or take with this field.

Yeesh, are there any career fields besides engineering, nursing and accounting that are worthwhile anymore? i hear more and more these days how even MBAs are losing their value. What else is there?

Old 09-30-2009, 10:34 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
I hear air line pilots make lots of money.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I hear air line pilots make lots of money.
I just read an article not too long ago about the commercial plane that crashed in Buffalo, NY last year. The article highlighted that the 24 year old co-pilot who died in the crash was making $16,000/yr and had to live with her parents in Seattle.

Plus you need stellar vision, and I'm near-sighted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment