Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 02:42 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,761,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Perhaps, but also keep in mind the rage held by the younger generation about their lot in life is often caused by them doing the EXACT same things as their parents - or even more (going to college, getting a higher degree, getting more job experience) - and yet they often end up with far less thanks to the lack of jobs and declining standard of living in this nation. When you put in at least as much if not more effort, the results should be comparable. Instead, the jobs are gone, and the often set-for-life older generation tells the young to "suck it up!"
This right here is exactly what some of us are talking about, it took your parents decades to build what they have, yet you want to come out of school and expect to start where they are now? Sorry it has never worked that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 05:08 AM

212 posts, read 336,526 times
I have always viewed my main job responsibility to be "helping make my boss look good". I know that this runs counter to the current "stick-it-to-the-man-occupy-1%-badbadbad" modality, but I can say that it has worked well for me. Keeping this mindset offers many non-confrontational opportunities to get inside the heads of leadership, understand what is important to the firm, and opens the door to more inside communication than the average "too-cool-to-be-bothered" has available to them.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:20 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,231,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Well I agree that in an interview you are supposed to tell them how YOU are going to help the company. But remember jobs are a two way street in the white collar world. Its also about what the company is offering YOU. For instance I will not accept an accounting role with a company that refuses to join the 21st century. Why? Because down the road it will hinder my prospects. Companies demand you be the most up to date, modern employee.

I learned accounting on 7 column and 14 column at my first firm in the early 2000's.... The skills and know how never go away and are a solid base to understanding beyond the computer screen.

I disagree that technology is good for accounting. If you are a good accountant, you can learn any software program. I have used DOS based programs to GP/SAP fine.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:32 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,504,435 times
I am a millennial and have had a full time job since I was 18. I have worked full time and went to college and then while still working full time I went and received my MBA. I am not lazy, but I was brought up to always work hard NOTHING is handed to me. I owned a home at 25, I have 2 cars and all my bills are paid on time. There are still young people out there that work hard, please don't just bash us all in a group.

I have a poster above my desk that reads."Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overall and looks like work - Thomas Edison." I DO wish more young people thought like this.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:33 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,941,985 times
Physical labor can wear you out over the years. I can't blame anyone for wanting a cushy job that they can do until full retirement. I know a lot of guys who had to take early retirement/disability as early as 50's due to arthritis and other physical aliments. Not saying that will happen to everyone, but it's definitely something to think about.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:12 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,050,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
This right here is exactly what some of us are talking about, it took your parents decades to build what they have, yet you want to come out of school and expect to start where they are now? Sorry it has never worked that way.
Incorrect - you're simply ignoring what I'm saying.

My parent's generation at the SAME AGE that my generation is currently at had: far greater job security, far more affordable housing, more affordable medical care, more affordable education options, and so on. On the flip side, my generation worked as hard they have AND achieved higher levels of education... but we're expected to have far less in life, despite working at least as hard and following the rules - and then we have to put up with aged know-it-alls who think we're "entitled" for wanting a job that actually has a future to it and a house / medical care / etc that doesn't cost us everything.

You can try to ignore the facts all you want and just claim "young people are so entitled!" but that changes nothing.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:05 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,516,790 times
1) Not taking criticism personally

2) Being indirect (something I also struggle with). Example: You go to a networking event hoping to find a new job, but you can't come out and say that directly.

Old 02-27-2014, 08:36 AM

334 posts, read 587,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
As a current college student I'm aware the job market is not the best it has been, nor is it close. I am trying to develop my skills as a potential employee as well as making good grades. So, I would simply like to know what are some skills that millennials as a whole could really improve on in the workforce? Or the "real world" as us college students often call it.
I think the serious student will already have these skills, but might not be aware they are needed in the workplace as well. An exception is the stellar student who does not need to attend class in order to excel. But otherwise, move over your present skills to the job:

Be on time, which means early. "If you are early, you are on time. If you are on time, you are late."

Don't miss work unless you absolutely have to UNLESS they have a rule about coming in if you are sick.

Don't gossip. If people try to tell you gossip, play dumb and have a quiet, non-committal, positive attitude even if you think the person they are talking about IS a creep or lazy, etc.

Don't reveal hardly anything about any aspect of your life that is not work-related. I think people your age are very used to oversharing.

Good luck, you will be entering a stinky job market , don't let it destroy your confidence or happiness.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:02 AM

23,667 posts, read 24,224,719 times
Interpersonal skills, and a serious attitude adjustment (for many).

Old 02-27-2014, 09:37 AM

1,661 posts, read 4,078,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Incorrect - you're simply ignoring what I'm saying.

My parent's generation at the SAME AGE that my generation is currently at had: far greater job security, far more affordable housing, more affordable medical care, more affordable education options, and so on. On the flip side, my generation worked as hard they have AND achieved higher levels of education... but we're expected to have far less in life, despite working at least as hard and following the rules
Exactly~!
Things have changed.
Believe it or not things changed when I went into the job market also.
Things are unfair? You Bet!
You are expected to do more work for less pay? Yep!
Things are harder on you than the people before you? Of Course.

But this is with each generation of worker. This has been happening forever and will continue to happen.

The difference with Mellenials is that they feel it's unfair and someone else needs to do something about it. That somehow it should be made fair.

Well, it isn't and it never will be.
And the next generation will ***** about how it is so much harder than the mellenials.

Life's not fair. Realize that and tackle it anyway. Cuz it's the only game there is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment