Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 03:58 PM

29,837 posts, read 24,942,627 times

Advertisements

Lack of attention span. Lack of attention to detail. Lack of common sense at times. If you attempt to critique something in them, they take it personally. Apparently, they have been led to believe they are perfect in every way, shape and form. Some lack work ethic. Some will invest more energy finding a way out of doing something than the energy required to actually accomplish the task.

These are simply generalizations based on my experience though. I am considered a millennial, but I have seen a fair number of worthless ones. Some are not bad, but they often overestimate their own worth. Others are extremely ambitious, and there really isn't anything wrong with that. Problem with that for employers is they have a tendency to jump ship rather quick, so it's hard to justify investing in them.

One thing is certain... Eventually, we will be replacing older workers. It is up to the older and more experienced workers to season this bunch and bring them up to speed. They may not like us, but like it or not, the country depends on the next crop having the skills and knowledge to run the show someday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 04:01 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,156,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
As a current college student I'm aware the job market is not the best it has been, nor is it close. I am trying to develop my skills as a potential employee as well as making good grades. So, I would simply like to know what are some skills that millennials as a whole could really improve on in the workforce? Or the "real world" as us college students often call it.
I think it is more work ethic than skills, although skills is also a consideration. The concept of showing up on time every day without letting your personal life interfere is very important. Having reliable transportation, having a sense that the job is more important than having fun with friends and being hung over the next day, or staying up until 2 am on the internet or playing video games and then being tired and worthless at work.

Secondary would be things like understanding the concept of customer service. Speaking clearly and communicating well with customers. Smiling. Acting interested in what they have to say. Striving to answer questions in a pleasant, intelligent way is also nice.

Caring about what you do, your appearance, your demeanor. Striving to do the best job that you can every single day, even if your job is tedious and repetitive.

That is a good start.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-26-2014, 04:41 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,040,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
This phenomenon is very common and has been for some time. A lot of college grads erroneously think they'll change the world and many senior level people know that it's best to just let them sink or swim on their own because they won't listen anyway. Why bother mentoring where it won't be appreciated or where it might even be used against you?
There is some of that, but let's not kid ourselves - plenty of the older generation has a deep set hate of the young, be it fear of being "replaced" or just more of the "kids these days!" nonsense.

The fact that we can't go 2 weeks on this forum without yet another groundless, whining post bashing the younger workers - a veiled attempt often to blame the current economic mess on them vs. the generation that was in power during all this mess - is proof of what I'm saying.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:47 PM

874 posts, read 1,649,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
Any skills involved in manual labor.
For all types of degrees?

What if I said to my employer that I used to do a lot of manual labor and upkeep on my dad's yard (lifting boalders, building a fence, managing pool, cutting trees, mowing large lawn, etc.)? Wouldn't that be silly to say if my degree is related to science?

Old 02-26-2014, 04:50 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I think it is more work ethic than skills, although skills is also a consideration. The concept of showing up on time every day without letting your personal life interfere is very important. Having reliable transportation, having a sense that the job is more important than having fun with friends and being hung over the next day, or staying up until 2 am on the internet or playing video games and then being tired and worthless at work.

Secondary would be things like understanding the concept of customer service. Speaking clearly and communicating well with customers. Smiling. Acting interested in what they have to say. Striving to answer questions in a pleasant, intelligent way is also nice.

Caring about what you do, your appearance, your demeanor. Striving to do the best job that you can every single day, even if your job is tedious and repetitive.

That is a good start.

20yrsinBranson
I think an issue is that work ethic is hard to get these days. Think about it, high school students and college students cannot really get the McJobs because older workers and college graduates are looking for those same jobs with experience. The issue is work ethic is generally created through working (along with skills.) Many people don't look at school work as relevant for anything other than a job requirement.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:27 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,183,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
There is some of that, but let's not kid ourselves - plenty of the older generation has a deep set hate of the young, be it fear of being "replaced" or just more of the "kids these days!" nonsense.
Plenty also don't feel that way, myself included (though I'm not that old). If a kid(s) wants to learn from me, I'll teach them. If they 2nd guess me at every turn, I won't bother. There is no point in trying to mentor the unmentorable. And, sorry to say, the know-it-all trend seems to be increasing.

Quote:
The fact that we can't go 2 weeks on this forum without yet another groundless, whining post bashing the younger workers - a veiled attempt often to blame the current economic mess on them vs. the generation that was in power during all this mess - is proof of what I'm saying.
I don't think anyone really blames the current economic situation on those who haven't been involved in it for at least a decade or 2. It's an absurd notion to do so. If anything, the generation that was "in power" is also responsible for the bodies and minds currently entering the workforce.

What people generally feel is that the late Gen Y-Millennial generation feel entitled to a great job which will provide them adult-sized 'trophies' the same way their parents and little league enablers did. Simply put, many of them were protected from failure and never learned how to lose. Unfortunately, that sentiment is carrying over into the work world.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:40 PM

484 posts, read 883,539 times
Everyone has posted great points so far, thanks for the feedback. The three things I have seen most often are work ethic, personal/communication skills, and a poor attitude (namely the sense of entitlement many 20-30 year olds have). And I've seen some debate about the economy and who's to blame for the poor state it's in and it seems like there's no one particular factor that can be attributed to the state it is in.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:55 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,040,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Plenty also don't feel that way, myself included (though I'm not that old). If a kid(s) wants to learn from me, I'll teach them. If they 2nd guess me at every turn, I won't bother. There is no point in trying to mentor the unmentorable. And, sorry to say, the know-it-all trend seems to be increasing.

I don't think anyone really blames the current economic situation on those who haven't been involved in it for at least a decade or 2. It's an absurd notion to do so. If anything, the generation that was "in power" is also responsible for the bodies and minds currently entering the workforce.

What people generally feel is that the late Gen Y-Millennial generation feel entitled to a great job which will provide them adult-sized 'trophies' the same way their parents and little league enablers did. Simply put, many of them were protected from failure and never learned how to lose. Unfortunately, that sentiment is carrying over into the work world.
Perhaps, but also keep in mind the rage held by the younger generation about their lot in life is often caused by them doing the EXACT same things as their parents - or even more (going to college, getting a higher degree, getting more job experience) - and yet they often end up with far less thanks to the lack of jobs and declining standard of living in this nation. When you put in at least as much if not more effort, the results should be comparable. Instead, the jobs are gone, and the often set-for-life older generation tells the young to "suck it up!"

Old 02-26-2014, 06:03 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,858,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
Everyone has posted great points so far, thanks for the feedback. The three things I have seen most often are work ethic, personal/communication skills, and a poor attitude (namely the sense of entitlement many 20-30 year olds have). And I've seen some debate about the economy and who's to blame for the poor state it's in and it seems like there's no one particular factor that can be attributed to the state it is in.
I think you can probably boil it down to communication skills, once you get past the debate over who's better.

I'd strongly suggest looking into Toastmasters nearby or seeing if you can pick up an elective class in speech/debate.

About 2 months prior to getting ready to hit the workforce, job fairs, etc. Have someone (Parent/Relative/Friend) that is in a hiring position take a look at your resume and do some mock interviews with you and provide feedback.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:10 PM

484 posts, read 883,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior12 View Post
I think you can probably boil it down to communication skills, once you get past the debate over who's better.

I'd strongly suggest looking into Toastmasters nearby or seeing if you can pick up an elective class in speech/debate.

About 2 months prior to getting ready to hit the workforce, job fairs, etc. Have someone (Parent/Relative/Friend) that is in a hiring position take a look at your resume and do some mock interviews with you and provide feedback.
Thanks, I will definitely keep that in mind. A mock interview would be great experience. If my schedule permits I'm planning on taking a public speaking class. I did a couple public speaking competitions in high school and actually found it to be enjoyable. Oddly enough, I prefer (and am better at) preparing a speech and talking in front of a group of people as opposed to making small talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment