Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 03:53 PM

368 posts, read 929,117 times

Advertisements

I am not good at strategy when it comes to prospective employers asking salary requirements. I padded ny salary slightly when I applied for a job and they found out about it after they extended an offer, passed a drug test, etc. I said total compensation in an effort to get a better salary going in but they thought that was my base so now they're leery of me. I think they're going to pass on me and I'm somewhat relieved since their communication was always poor but hubby still thinks they'll offer me the job but at a lower salary.

So I'm not good at not answering when a prospective employer asks my xureen) salary or asks for pay stubs. Friends say I should redact the stubs. My husband says I shouldn't. How do you negotiate a better salary or at least not one above your paygrade if you refuse to answer their initial questions (nicely)?

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 04:13 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,750 times
Well for one you shouldn't lie if you tell them anything about it. If you pad it based on say unusual compensations, say a company vehicle or such i would say its okay, but if you just want to say the total package is salary +whatever other bennefits someone could expect about anywhere, the you are just lying. If they caught on I'd expect them to be leary of you as well.

Also, no way in hell I'd give a new employer one of my old pay stubs.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:26 PM

368 posts, read 929,117 times
I padded it based on my bonus which is an estimate not a firm number and they wanted proof of the firm nunber. They found out that I don't have that number in hand yet. They didn't care that I said total comp, they're focused on the base.

So when you decline to give them a pay stub what is your explanation if it's part of the background check?

Old 02-24-2014, 04:27 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,795,253 times
I don't think that there is anything that you can do about having to tell the truth, however there are things that you may have at your disposal to ensure that you get a higher salary offer. If you have recently completed a degree or training you can use that to justify a better salary. If you can get into a situation where more than one company is interested in hiring you then you may be able to get the one you want to match or exceed the offer you want. Finally if you don't think that you will be able to get them to budge on salary, try to negotiate other benefits that will make a lower salary more acceptable to you.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:44 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,014,351 times
Just tell them the number is based on the bonus you anticipate getting so you can't prove that part (unless you have old bonuses that were similiar?) and just show them base salary.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:54 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,383,205 times
When asked about how much you currently make, just say, "When I was hired, I agreed not to divulge my pay. I'm sorry but I feel obligated to honor their request." As for how much you want at your new job, a little research will show what they pay. Then you can use that figure and they'll think you're a perfect match.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:07 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
I don't think I've ever heard of a company asking for pay stubs as part of the hiring process. Admittedly, I've personally avoided the corporate world for quite a while now, but none of my friends and acquaintances has mentioned anything about such a request. With the amount of detail that many of us have gone into when conversing about job searches, it would have come up.

As for how to handle the request for current salary, I like ESFP's answer. It's a bit more PC than saying "None of your business," at least. Hmmm, maybe there's a reason that I left the corporate world...

Old 02-24-2014, 06:39 PM

206 posts, read 404,520 times
Yes, you should say "it is confidential information that I am not permitted to divulge. However, I am looking for total compensation in the neighborhood of X."

Depending on what you're looking for, there are different ways to phrase it: If you're looking for something around $50K, you're looking for "something in the mid five figures." If you're looking for $110K, you're looking for "in the low $100s." And so forth and so on.

Try to avoid naming a specific figure, like $65,000. If you do, you won't get a penny more. If you leave it vague, once they make you an offer, you can go back and say how thrilled you are "to have received an offer but [you] were hoping for $5,000 more in salary to feel really good about it."

It can work. I've done it.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:36 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
You want a job, and they have one to give. The employers have all the power. You are not buying a car. Strategy doesn't work any more. If they think you might be exaggerating your previous salary and ask for proof, you'd better have it, or you are not going to get hired. Negotiating a salary is fine if you have multiple offers or already have a good job, but lying on an application or interview is always grounds for moving on to another applicant.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:44 PM

417 posts, read 816,654 times
Do you have a copy of your offer letter from your current employer, or could you ask your employer to make you a copy? Every offer letter I have ever received has shown the bonus percentage on it. You may not be able to show the exact bonus total you received, but you can show the % and your new employer can calculate the match.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment