Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 09:12 PM

8,792 posts, read 8,210,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
That only works if you have enough leverage over the employer with a severely rare skillset. Otherwise HR will trash your app and declare you obstinate.
True. But why wouldn't you create a career for yourself where you do have a in-demand skilset and are willing to sell it to the highest bidder.

Most people i know sell themselves too cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 09:19 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,504,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
True. But why wouldn't you create a career for yourself where you do have a in-demand skilset and are willing to sell it to the highest bidder.

Most people i know sell themselves too cheap.
That is easier said than done. Any career with perceived high demand is flooded with people wanting to get a good paying job. A lot of these purported high-demand careers are quite the opposite especially in STEM.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:45 PM

8,792 posts, read 8,210,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
That is easier said than done. Any career with perceived high demand is flooded with people wanting to get a good paying job. A lot of these purported high-demand careers are quite the opposite especially in STEM.
Never said it was easy, but i have been working this way for 33+ years. You have to MAKE things happen for yourself. Being one of the trod upon masses will get you nowhere.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:42 PM

18,190 posts, read 25,431,770 times
You always want to find a way to turn it into "I don't do that, because I want to do my best for you"

In this case, I would say
"I'm sorry, but I believe that employee's salaries is information that everybody should keep confidential since it is a contract between the employer and the employee"

By saying something like this, you are implying that if you were hired by them, you will keep their information confidential, too. And then I would say
"... But the salary that I'm looking for is around $xx,xxx"

Old 02-26-2014, 12:06 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,427,101 times
Good luck with that Dopo. It is an Employers market now and if you dont comply they will move on. Unless you have a rare skill set they will have many others prospects that will comply.
When i tried to negotiate they told me they had others on their list they could go to.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:59 AM

18,190 posts, read 25,431,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
Good luck with that Dopo. It is an Employers market now and if you dont comply they will move on. Unless you have a rare skill set they will have many others prospects that will comply.
When i tried to negotiate they told me they had others on their list they could go to.
I'm an electrical engineer and people call me at least once a month offering me jobs
But I love what I do and I'm happy with my company

Old 02-26-2014, 01:16 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,821,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'm an electrical engineer and people call me at least once a month offering me jobs
That is because you have an actual skill that requires training, education, and is relatively in demand. In other words, you've got a skill you can use pretty much anywhere because it's always in need.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:20 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,328,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz2525 View Post
I padded it based on my bonus which is an estimate not a firm number and they wanted proof of the firm nunber. They found out that I don't have that number in hand yet. They didn't care that I said total comp, they're focused on the base.

So when you decline to give them a pay stub what is your explanation if it's part of the background check?
I have never heard of a pay stub being used as part of a background check....Sounds like a scam

Old 02-26-2014, 04:20 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,374,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I have never heard of a pay stub being used as part of a background check....Sounds like a scam
Maybe in some cases, if only requested online, but perhaps it depends upon job title and/or size of company. Years ago, I interviewed for entry level jobs with small businesses. I was stunned that although I had a reference letter in hand (also from an small biz, which had folded), they were skeptical as they couldn't reach the former employer via the biz phone on the letterhead. Uh, yeah... they folded & the owner moved out of state, hence the reference letter... which I'd mentioned upfront. (These were the days before email, LinkedIn, cell phones, etc).

One biz owner couldn't find them by calling 411 (a defunct company should pay for biz phone service???!!!)... so she doubted the validity of my letter. In utter disgust, after a long initial interview & 2-3 subsequent days of back & forth yacking, I said to her (an owner of a very small esthetician salon... 0 employees & 4 sub-contractors), 'Dear god woman, I'm interviewing for a receptionist's position, not a CEO! Anybody can do this job!' (She didn't even have a computer system... it was answering phones & penciling facial appts into a book.) Finally, she revealed that a former receptionist had pilfered funds, so she was very, very suspicious about hiring henceforth. Understood, completely... but, perhaps she should have mentioned that upfront, as it was the most intensive, intrusive interview I'd ever experienced... to the point where I told her to forget it, I was no longer interested. At that point, strangely, the next day she called & offered me the job. Uh, no! I simply didn't wish to work under that kind of scrutiny, as I'd also overheard the technicians complain bitterly whilst waiting for my initial interview... another issue.

I do understand there can be situations in which prospective employers ask for extras... but, treating interviewees with respect & stating why isn't out of order. In fact, it should be upfront & honest on the employer's part.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,874 posts, read 81,920,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
If you cannot exceed the "midpoint," it's not a midpoint at all, but rather the true maximum your firm will allocate for the position.
Yes, maximum starting, but we get annual increases, the percentage based on performance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment