Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 10:41 PM

24 posts, read 96,580 times

Advertisements

So there's been problems with some of the cashiers at work spending an excessive amount of time on their phones and it's been mentioned to me by management that if it continues they're going to start taking their phones at the start of the shift, locking them in the safe, and giving them back at lunch/after the shift is over. I do cashier from time to time, but I recently moved into a different position, and I also tend to limit my phone use to checking the actual time every now and then as the clocks on the registers are not accurate by a significant amount, so this doesn't really directly affect me, but I felt like asking about this because...that just doesn't seem like something they can really do does it? I'm not exactly the type to say "no, you can't do that" to my boss(es), I get along great with everyone I work with and am trying to work my way up through the company, but this just seems like a serious violation of sorts. Reprimand them, sure, but taking their phones away is a serious security and privacy issue. I know there have been times that I've been contacted via text while at work because of some sort of emergency. My girlfriend is a type 1 diabetic and there have been some times she's hit dangerous low levels or other family type emergencies. And I'm certain others at work have their own issues that may actually come up. This just seems...wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 12:27 AM

2,131 posts, read 1,799,414 times
It seems wrong but sometimes it's a necessity. I worked as a supervisor in survey call center and taking the interviewers phones was something we had to do because we had instances where the interviewers would constantly be checking their cell phone while logged on to out system, there was even one time an interviewer was caught with her phone headphone under the call center headphones and she was on a live call and would make calls for us while talking on her phone and when she got a respondent on the phone her personal call would wait while she conducted a survey which was a breach of respondent confidentiality (she was immediately terminated). We understood that interviewers could have emergencies or have to deal with other life issues so they were told to give out the office's main number which was always answered by a supervisor and any calls could be transferred to a phone in the break room.

It sucks that a few people ruin it for everyone but if the behavior is affecting productivity it is in the company's best interest to take action.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:31 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,769,634 times
Maybe you could leave it in the car or, if they have them, a locker and check your messages on break. If there's a dire emergency, your family can call the store directly. As far as checking the time, figure out the difference in real time and company time and you'll be able to figure out what time it actually is. As you know, temporary issues always blow over in a few weeks. 4-6 weeks from now it won't be an issue anymore. Play it cool until then.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:27 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,001,650 times
How do you think people got in touch re:family emergencies before cell phones???

Yes, he can do this. If y'all cannot use enough self-discipline and stay off your phone while you're in a customer-facing position after a warning, the boss needs to lock them up.

Be thankful he did not fire the lot of you.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:32 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,217,801 times
OSHA allows for this, I am pretty sure!

Old 02-24-2014, 06:30 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,928,808 times
I work retail, cell phone never comes out of my pocket unless on break or clocked out. Of course I'm from a generation that grew up without cell phones, facebook, and twitter. I can imagine it being difficult for the younger folks who are addicted to them.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:09 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,304,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
OSHA allows for this, I am pretty sure!

This doesn't have anything to do with OSHA.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:13 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,304,345 times
OP: It may seem wrong but it is a workplace rule. The alternative is to leave it locked in your car. If someone needs to get hold of you for a true emergency, they can call the store.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:16 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,286,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHarris7990 View Post
So there's been problems with some of the cashiers at work spending an excessive amount of time on their phones and it's been mentioned to me by management that if it continues they're going to start taking their phones at the start of the shift, locking them in the safe, and giving them back at lunch/after the shift is over. I do cashier from time to time, but I recently moved into a different position, and I also tend to limit my phone use to checking the actual time every now and then as the clocks on the registers are not accurate by a significant amount, so this doesn't really directly affect me, but I felt like asking about this because...that just doesn't seem like something they can really do does it? I'm not exactly the type to say "no, you can't do that" to my boss(es), I get along great with everyone I work with and am trying to work my way up through the company, but this just seems like a serious violation of sorts. Reprimand them, sure, but taking their phones away is a serious security and privacy issue. I know there have been times that I've been contacted via text while at work because of some sort of emergency. My girlfriend is a type 1 diabetic and there have been some times she's hit dangerous low levels or other family type emergencies. And I'm certain others at work have their own issues that may actually come up. This just seems...wrong.

The employer can justify their actions because of their established policies.
What we did first though was progressive discipline and those that continued to use their phones went through the entire discipline process and a couple of them never did catch on and got terminated.

What people are failing to realize is that before instant access to cell phones, pagers and other technology all the same "emergency" issues still happened. Those who needed to be notified were notified it just took a bit longer.

So the "emergency" part has no baring on the company policy.
As far as the "security and privacy" goes, if you password your phone there is no issue.

You mentioned checking the time on your phone, the solution to that is wear a watch or check the time on the clock on the wall.
A cell phone is not required to check the time.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:33 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,542,122 times
I raised 2 children before cell phones weighed less than 20 lbs. and when most people wore a wristwatch. If you are using your cell phone on company time for non emergency personal business that is a no no. If you don't want to lock up your cell phone, don't ever take it out at work. Should be a simple solution!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment