Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 08:40 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,385,752 times

Advertisements

My company will fire you if they see a cell phone, even if you pull it out to check the time. And, they do it. No second chances. I hate dealing with clerks that handle my money or business while talking on their phones. It's rude and distracting. Leave it in the car and check it on your break if you must.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 08:50 AM

4,513 posts, read 5,060,475 times
Isn't it a miracle that we "Older" people made it through life without a cell phone taped to our ear ? How did we ever get through a work day without checking on our wife/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend or kids or bank acct, or friends, or checking to see if all the doors are locked at home, or checking the correct time because the clocks at work are so far off, etc...? I long for the day that they make a cell phone that will explode after 1 minute of use. How bad is society getting that everyone walks around HOLDING their phone in their hand all the time ? Get a life !!

Old 02-24-2014, 09:37 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,238,304 times
This is silly. The employer should just discipline the workers caught using their phones while not on break. Why punish everyone? Not to mention the time wasted by having someone responsible for locking up the phones and retrieving them for employees whenever they are on break. And you know there will be times when that person is not readily available at the moment the employee needs to leave for lunch or go home.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:04 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,773,565 times
It may be overkill when only certain employees are the problem, but it is well within the employer's rights. In fact, there need not be any misuse prior to enacting such a policy.

If you don't want your phone locked up in the safe, leave it in your car. Make arrangements for your girlfriend in case of an emergency, so that she isn't reliant on getting through to you while you are at work.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:59 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,179,019 times
In my location, we only allow Managers and above to bring in Cell Phones, everyone else needs to put them in a locker, or leave them at home/in the car.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:31 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,594,210 times
Ehh let em play with the phones while working it doesn't matter. Customer service provided by youth is non existent anyway for the most part. Even if they aren't playing on phones they are joking with each other and not paying attention to the customers. It's like high school all over again.

I go into Wawa and behind the deli counter all 3-4 workers are having conversations with each other and have to wait for them to stop to ask something. This happens everywhere too. You are not at work to "hang out" you are at work to WORK. Wait until break time to chat it up. This is why I was promoted to management roles quickly at an early age. I didn't have to be told these common sense things.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:33 PM

17,607 posts, read 15,292,362 times
I work with someone whose cell phone rings about 20 times per day. Annoying as hell. And it's horsecrap stuff.. "I'm going to lunch now".. "I'm going to leave in about 30 minutes"..

Old 02-24-2014, 01:44 PM

419 posts, read 903,251 times
"This is silly. The employer should just discipline the workers caught using their phones while not on break. Why punish everyone? Not to mention the time wasted by having someone responsible for locking up the phones and retrieving them for employees whenever they are on break. And you know there will be times when that person is not readily available at the moment the employee needs to leave for lunch or go home."

because it is easier and less risk for any kind of discriminatory legal action if it applies to everyone. If the behavior of few causes the majority to suffer the majority can self police, if not then all can put their cell phones away in a locked facility or leave them home. I had to institute that same policy a year ago and the reasons i stated above are why i went the all or nothing route

Old 02-24-2014, 01:59 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,594,210 times
Nobody I mean NOBODY needs a phone on them at work. Even if it's for "emergencies". If someone needs to get ahold of you in an emergency they will call your work number and the manager will relay the message. If it's a medical emergency they need to call an ambulance not you first.

People lived and worked for hundreds of years without cell phones it's no different today.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:59 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,631,455 times
Don't wanna follow the company "no cell phones" rule?

Guess you don't want a job huh?

I am SELF EMPLOYED, and my cell phone is my "business phone" as well, and I NEVER answer it while I'm with a client.

Now hard is it, to have someone leave a message and call them back later?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment