Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 09:01 AM

150 posts, read 258,542 times

Advertisements

I drive to visit customer about once a month but have never submitted mileage reimbursement. Some of my coworkers do it and some don't. The reimbursement would be around $35 to $50 for each trip so the total is about $500 a year. I am in the US and my boss is in Europe and he would be the person approving these reimbursements. He is too busy and already working over 12 hours a day that I am thinking about not bothering him with these small expense reports. If you are my supervisor, what would you think if I submit the mileage reimbursements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 09:05 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,338,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNguyen View Post
I drive to visit customer about once a month but have never submitted mileage reimbursement. Some of my coworkers do it and some don't. The reimbursement would be around $35 to $50 for each trip so the total is about $500 a year. I am in the US and my boss is in Europe and he would be the person approving these reimbursements. He is too busy and already working over 12 hours a day that I am thinking about not bothering him with these small expense reports. If you are my supervisor, what would you think if I submit the mileage reimbursements?
If your company handbook says you are entitled to mileage reimbursements, you should do it. But if it were me, I would do it on a more timely basis and not give him a whole year's worth at a time to wade through. Basically supervisors just sign off on these things and return them fast, especially if you have an online reimbursement system such as ChromeRiver set up.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:11 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,554,696 times
Yes, you should submit them. Some companies have rules regarding when they must be submitted meaning that very old expenses may not be reimbursed if submitted very late.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:37 AM

5,117 posts, read 6,115,269 times
I see it as a judgement call. Does your boss ever ask you about them? If you do it I would do it every 2-3 months, if the company allows you to wait that long (Some companies I've worked for wanted them monthly)

But in the amount you mentioned I would look at it more on the inconvienence to me rather than my boss. He will probably glance at them and approve them (along with anyothers he reviews) or have an assistant do it. I have an amount I am willing to 'invest' in my job without asking for reimbursement. Some months it is reference material I feel I need, sometimes it is things like thumbdrives or media that it is easier to pick up than go through the process to officially request. My wife does the same thing for her classroom (I think most teachers do, they can even deduct it with almost no documentation)

But if I go on longer trips (overnight for example) or have larger purchases I do the paperwork. It all depends on how much the annoyance v return is.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:41 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,729,642 times
I would bundle up the reimbursements. I had to do a reimbursement monthly, or whenever I felt like it for part of my cell phone bill. Instead of getting 20 dollars backs every month, I waited and just did it every half of the year and did one for 6 months and got 120 back instead.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:42 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,776,601 times
Absolutely! It's extra money that you should be getting for wear and tear on your car

Old 02-10-2014, 12:35 PM

84 posts, read 133,855 times
why give up your deserved money?
I did rack up so much reimbursement on my vehicle for a year
owner gave me company vehicle following year.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:45 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,163,851 times
Submit them or write them off on your tax returns.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:02 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,115,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskamelot View Post
why give up your deserved money?
I did rack up so much reimbursement on my vehicle for a year
owner gave me company vehicle following year.
That many miles sure claim them 9But I'm not sure getting a company vehicle is better given how they have tightened the tax rules)

My suggestion was for a low usage amount when doing the paperwork is more of a pain than the little bit you would get back.

I would say know the company rules about how long you can delay submitting it. companies I have worked for have gotten tighter about that. I think our company requires it monthly now. I know we can't go more than a quarter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment