Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2010, 06:32 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times

Advertisements

I don't have kids, but I'm curious about this. My company doesn't reimburse for childcare expenses during business travel. Do a lot of companies have the same policy? It seems if you have a lot of travel (I may personally travel five times over the next two months) that would really hit hard, especially for single mothers.

Maybe I am overly idealistic ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 07:11 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times
I'm not aware of any that do. Most people with kids just choose jobs that don't require travel, or have an understanding spouse/parent/family member to help out.

Generally having kids means having to make work compromises. Plus, childcare would be an additional and uneven form of compensation. The only situation I can envision is with a high level or extremely critical position that isn't easily replaced where the person negotiated it.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:17 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
Why should an employee with kids get more money for their travel than someone without? The value of their service to the company is not greater just because they have kids.

Yes it could be a burden for some people. Such persons would not be best suited for jobs requiring travel.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:19 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
A lady who worked with me, worked Tuesday - Friday after returning from maternity leave.

One week she HAD to come in on a Monday, my company paid the $100 childcare fee for that day.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:21 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Meh, I dunno. I know in my job they didn't mention travel at the interview (it's not a position that would normally require it, this company is just different) (I like travel).

The employee without kids (me) wouldn't NEED reimbursement for childcare. But say a single parent has the job...what could they do? They'd be screwed. But I guess the real issue would be not knowing it up front (which I do take issue with actually but at least I'm employed).

Old 08-26-2010, 06:42 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,670,185 times
I've had jobs that entailed travel for a couple of companies now, and neither would pay for child care expenses while you are on the road. I can't imagine a single parent would take such a job in the first place.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:44 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Why should an employee with kids get more money for their travel than someone without? The value of their service to the company is not greater just because they have kids.

Yes it could be a burden for some people. Such persons would not be best suited for jobs requiring travel.
Absolutely. These people with kids all want special treatment.They need to get over themselves. Having children was their choice. It's their responsibility. There are sacrifices one will make as a result of having children. You can forget about flying across the Atlantic and running with bulls in Spain. And I wouldn't advise you to go the slopes in Swizerland either. As a business owner, I will definitely not reimburse your childcare needs while traveling on business. It's your responsibility to arrange appropriate childcare while traveling on business.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:49 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,718,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post

What I thought. You don't get reimbursed for childcare when you work. Of you chose to have kids that's all good and well, and I'm happy for you, but you don't get daycare service because your job takes you out of your city.

I'm sure this is one think that could change as more women work. Workplaces can't just rely on men anymore, and need to actually cater to women so they can get better employees. I could see daycare service becoming a more common fringe benefit. However, most companies are run by men so they generally see this as a frivolous expense... I personally don't think that its necessary, but if you are seeking niche workers, you've got to do what you must, and if that's it, you just do it.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:10 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Yeah, I think the company I work pays for childcare and pet boarding when business traveling. It's a really big company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment