Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 01:46 PM

34 posts, read 41,113 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody

i have been reading this forum for a while now and i found it to be filled with precious informations and kindly people.

I will tell you my story in few rows to hopefully get some suggestions from you.

I am moving to Los Angeles within a month. My wife is american, we lived together, happily, in Italy for a while.
For some reasons we decided to move to Los Angeles.
I am leaving my actual job and I will have to find a new career.
I am aware that this may seems a crazy move in such an hard economny but we have our reasons to do it with which i do intend to bother you.

I have a MSc in Managament from the italian top business school. (you could say is the italian "harvard" or "yale")

I have 5+ year experience in Marketing (product Manager) in the telco industry for the world largest carrier. i speak fluenty english, italian, spanish, french

I would like to continue my career in marketing in Los Angeles.

How would you suggest to operate?

I was considering to

1. Have my resume "fixed" by some consultant in order to be adapted to US standards
2. Apply to all the company sites or job listing that i will be able to find that are relevant to my background
3. Attend job fairs and events
4. Leverage on my network of contacts that i ve build in those 5 years (some of them work in the US)
5. Uses TEMP agency to land some temporary jobs to get my foot in the door

In the meanwhile I intend to do any job that would help support myself

Do you think is a decent plan? How could I improve my strategy?

Thanks to all of you for the help

Last edited by Vin_C; 01-21-2014 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 04:18 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
I have one basic question. Are you eligible to seek employment in the US? I understand that your wife is a US citizen but you'll still have to go through the necessary hoops to become legally able to work in the US. If that's not the case, you might want to go to the Legal Immigration forum. In the first "sticky" you'll find a link to the USCIS website which will explain the steps you'll need to take. Good luck!

Old 01-21-2014, 08:10 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
Do you have your green card so you can seek employment?

You may want to pay up front for a foreign credential evaluation that will show a potential employer that your degree has a US equivalent and is a legitimate degree.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Do you have your green card so you can seek employment?

You may want to pay up front for a foreign credential evaluation that will show a potential employer that your degree has a US equivalent and is a legitimate degree.

Hi

Yes, I do have a green card. I would have never planned a move without all the legal requirements to work.

Regarding the credential evaluation, I have selected few companies that offer this service, like World Education Services-International Credential Evaluation Expertise

As the other user suggested, probably I could get precious informations in the immigration forum

Thank you for your help

V

Old 01-22-2014, 08:09 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,299,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin_C View Post
I was considering to

1. Have my resume "fixed" by some consultant in order to be adapted to US standards
2. Apply to all the company sites or job listing that i will be able to find that are relevant to my background
3. Attend job fairs and events
4. Leverage on my network of contacts that i ve build in those 5 years (some of them work in the US)
5. Uses TEMP agency to land some temporary jobs to get my foot in the door
These are pretty low-end strategies. If you really have a top degree and experience, the positions you want aren’t going to be at a job fair. I suggest opening Linkedin (https://www.linkedin.com/) and Monster (Find Jobs. Build a Better Career. Find Your Calling. | Monster.com) accounts and uploading your resume there—with particular emphasis on your languages.

Since you already have experience in telecom you should research which companies are in your new area and target them directly. You should also network with the alumni association at your university. Many schools keep track of who’s working abroad and can connect you with other expats.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:44 AM

1,485 posts, read 955,484 times
Your best strategy would be to start learning to speak fluent spanish and temporarily change your name to something mexican sounding. After you get established change your name back. Mexicans have a foothold on jobs here in L.A.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
These are pretty low-end strategies. If you really have a top degree and experience, the positions you want aren’t going to be at a job fair. I suggest opening Linkedin (https://www.linkedin.com/) and Monster (Find Jobs. Build a Better Career. Find Your Calling. | Monster.com) accounts and uploading your resume there—with particular emphasis on your languages.

Since you already have experience in telecom you should research which companies are in your new area and target them directly. You should also network with the alumni association at your university. Many schools keep track of who’s working abroad and can connect you with other expats.

I had already considered to directly target telco companies. same thing for Linkedin

I did not think about the alumni association of my university. That s a great idea

thank you

V
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment