Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 08:15 PM

457 posts, read 979,156 times

Advertisements

An added note, I did offer solutions to problems and was told I had good suggestions but it would cause some workers to do more work. I was told some workers would complain to the union that supervisors were picking on them. I said but a few more data input would link all the info together so workers can find it in one place. Again, good ideas but some would take it as more work. The dept did not have a correction forms, so I created a form to be mailed to citizens, that would save workers from driving back to residences. That was shot down too. Every questions asked, I had an example of a possible solution. Don't want anybody to get the wrong idea of my intentions. I've always been a team player, only need to tell me once and I'll do it anyway you want type of a guy. I was curious on why certain procedures were done so I had a full understanding of my job. Life goes on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 08:20 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,741,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chgodon View Post
An added note, I did offer solutions to problems and was told I had good suggestions but it would cause some workers to do more work. I was told some workers would complain to the union that supervisors were picking on them. I said but a few more data input would link all the info together so workers can find it in one place. Again, good ideas but some would take it as more work. The dept did not have a correction forms, so I created a form to be mailed to citizens, that would save workers from driving back to residences. That was shot down too. Every questions asked, I had an example of a possible solution. Don't want anybody to get the wrong idea of my intentions. I've always been a team player, only need to tell me once and I'll do it anyway you want type of a guy. I was curious on why certain procedures were done so I had a full understanding of my job. Life goes on...
Some companies and employees just do not gel...and in this instances it seems to have been best for everyone involved, including for you.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:37 PM

Yes. Agreed hence the term "did not fit in". I've always been a detailed, organized person and got hired into an organization where the daily email seemed to be the policy/procedures and no structure. My thoughts are data management is important for the the county or city. When the public is seeking restitution in courts, they rely on data via public records requests. If workers do not link info or add info, I feel that's not serving the public. So in a way, I felt I was not a fit but made a commitment for my 1 year probation before making a decision. They just beat me to it. My original post was a thought instead of relocating again to another state. I do have 3 gov tests next month but are 4 hours away from my current home base. MJ7 last post is what my personal circle has told me. Everybody have a good new year.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:14 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,124,894 times
Were you in a data management job? They have those jobs in the private sector, too. If you aren't in data management, maybe that's your true calling. Sometimes, it's better to switch to a job that's actually fits the role you want, if it's data management then go there.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:19 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,843,144 times
Perhaps the best way to 'reapply' would be to request an interview to help you better understand why your probationary period didn't work out ... so you don't make the same mistakes elsewhere. At that time you can speak to the positive factors you mentioned earlier.

You might also actually discover some things about yourself that could help you elsewhere.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:21 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,015,898 times
That's how jobs are, if you work too hard, if you look too good, you get these supervisors who get intimidated and decide you "aren't working out" anymore. Had it happen to me once, but I already knew I was on my way out so I had a new job lined up anyways.

I wouldn't reapply if it's the exact same job with the same people.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:44 PM

Beera, I totally agree with you. I was a humane officer which is why I felt linking data was important in cruelty investigations. One of my problems was some officers would not create animal or owner IDs. They would put the info in memos. So the next officer would have to search every case via computer and hope somebody wrote a memo. When you create a person with an animal, everything is linked in our database. You search a name and everything is link to the name or animal. If you just put the info it in a case memo, the info is only available on that case number. Doesn't help when you go back to a residence. Memo correction form was for citations. If you made an error on a citation, you had to go back to the person's residence to make the correction. That goes over great when the offender was upset getting the cite in the first place. I suggested a correction form to be mailed to the owner. These are things I suggested. Nobody seem to worry about it. It was a matter of being more organized. Yes, it would be the same supervisor. I guess I'll continue my job search. Wish everybody the best.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:15 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
That's how jobs are, if you work too hard, if you look too good, you get these supervisors who get intimidated and decide you "aren't working out" anymore. Had it happen to me once, but I already knew I was on my way out so I had a new job lined up anyways.

I wouldn't reapply if it's the exact same job with the same people.
No, that's not how jobs are. There is a way to present suggestions for improvement.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:32 AM

210 posts, read 426,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No, that's not how jobs are. There is a way to present suggestions for improvement.
Regardless of how one presents suggestions for improvements, there will always be those, especially in management, who will be intimidated by you. Unfortunately, that's just the way it is in the workforce.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:15 PM

852 posts, read 3,815,883 times
Supervisors aren't intimidated by good or questioning employees. They don't see an up-and-comer as a threat, nor do they feel diminished if policies aren't embraced. If the work assigned is done well, that's the overriding element in a worker's status. Now, a marginal employee who brings other less-than personal qualities would not be helping his/her cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment