Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 11:08 PM

283 posts, read 729,010 times

Advertisements

I was reminded of a former co-worker tonight, a person who was truly incompetent. The following examples of her incompetence come to mind immediately:

1) On several occasions I sat next to her while she sat in front of her keyboard, and I tried to help her perform tasks. Sometimes I had to tell her to press the tilde, dash, or colon keys, and she would have a puzzled look on her face, obviously not knowing what those keys were.

2) One time I heard her enter my boss's cube, and my boss's cube was right next to mine, so I heard their entire conversation. My boss said something like this: "His name is Doug. That's spelled D, O, U, G. In several emails now you have spelled it D, U, N, G. In America it is not nice to call someone D, U, N, G."

3) One day she entered my cube and it was the day that our self-evaluations were due. She told me she didn't know what to write for her self-evaluation, and she asked me if she could see mine. Unbelievable.

Anyone care to share other examples of incompetence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 12:18 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcity View Post
I was reminded of a former co-worker tonight, a person who was truly incompetent. The following examples of her incompetence come to mind immediately:

1) On several occasions I sat next to her while she sat in front of her keyboard, and I tried to help her perform tasks. Sometimes I had to tell her to press the tilde, dash, or colon keys, and she would have a puzzled look on her face, obviously not knowing what those keys were.

2) One time I heard her enter my boss's cube, and my boss's cube was right next to mine, so I heard their entire conversation. My boss said something like this: "His name is Doug. That's spelled D, O, U, G. In several emails now you have spelled it D, U, N, G. In America it is not nice to call someone D, U, N, G."

3) One day she entered my cube and it was the day that our self-evaluations were due. She told me she didn't know what to write for her self-evaluation, and she asked me if she could see mine. Unbelievable.

Anyone care to share other examples of incompetence?

Was she a foreigner?

Old 11-24-2013, 01:05 AM

283 posts, read 729,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Was she a foreigner?
Yes, I would have mentioned that, except the last time I mentioned a co-worker was a foreigner, it was cut out by a mod.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:57 AM

206 posts, read 404,369 times
She might not be incompetent. She might simply be unaware of many things because she is from a different culture and her native language is not English. Regardless, it's not your job to help her. You can choose to, but you don't have to.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:04 PM

788 posts, read 1,248,812 times
Sorry, but being a foreigner is not an excuse. The skills that the job seems te require are at least a certain level of proficiency in English. If she does not have that, she should not have been hired.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:12 PM

29,796 posts, read 24,880,628 times
This doesn't sound like incompetence. It sounds like she is unfamiliar with some aspects of our culture and language. You are simply being hypercritical.

Does she perform the duties of her job in a timely manner? Is the quality of her work acceptable? This is how you judge someone's level of competency on the job. You're just nit picking.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:24 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Why would you even start a thread like this? Do you get some kind of joy from bashing people? Does it make you feel better about yourself by putting others down?

Old 11-24-2013, 02:47 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Why would you even start a thread like this? Do you get some kind of joy from bashing people? Does it make you feel better about yourself by putting others down?
Because it's funny. You hear these stories most often during good economic times, when almost anyone can get a job. My favorite is the one of an employee who showed up late or didn't come in over a few weeks. Upon being fired, he remarked, "if I had known it was so important to show up every day on time, I would not have taken the job."

Old 11-24-2013, 02:50 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Because it's funny.
Oh, yeah. It's a real knee slapper.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:38 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Saltbox View Post
She might not be incompetent. She might simply be unaware of many things because she is from a different culture and her native language is not English. Regardless, it's not your job to help her. You can choose to, but you don't have to.
Yes. The OP should try and use a french keyboard sometime like I do. I bet she'd look dumb the first few times too.

How long has the OP been stewing about this anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment