Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 12:29 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,832,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Immigrants pay little taxes? Where did you get this idea from?

Income taxes are largely based on....income. Yes there are deductions but it rarely asks for legal status.

Post 9/11 the fortress america concept has made it significantly harder for people to legally come into the country.

Besides the birthrate is not exactly going that far up these days. Immigration might be the only real way to increase population and thus it is needed. I know of plenty of communities that without immigrants it would be a dead city or town overnight. Yes some might complain...but money is money. A true capitalist cares about money, not the clients demographics.

I wouldn't say that immigrants are somehow automatically poor. Like it or not in many other countries there is a lack of banking insurance and thus their savings rates are high. They pay in cash and have little debt (see Mexico where less than 3% of homes need a mortgage). The US also has some of the strongest contract laws in the planet so if someone wants to start a business then this is the place to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Why? We have room for educated and skilled people who can pay their own way... and do.
They'll almost always add jobs for the rest of us at the same time. Win-Win.
We can't extend that generosity without limit... but that isn't happening now anyway.

The only problem we have w/r/t "immigrants" are the illegal sort.
But until we're willing to fix the overgenerous language in the 14th Amendment
(intended for an entirely different circumstance, btw)... we'll still have them too.
We should do something about that. Soon.

If we could do something constructive about our over-supply of native born no/low skilled and poorly
educated and chronically unemployed... we might be able to accommodate more immigrants of both sorts.
Any ideas?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBookofLife View Post
You can talk for yourself. You only see your own life and you try to apply your own life to every immigrant's life. You are taking a part for the whole. There are so many different immigrants in this country, and you are just one of them. Your situation doesn't extent to the rest of it.
Quote:
I have to say for sure you don't see the real immigrants' lives. Some of them are very good, well educated. They are contributors to the society. This is indisputable.
Do you know that there are a huge group of people, they claim to be low income people that they pay very little tax because their business are cash based such restaurant and caregiver business? On the other hand, they apply free medicare. The free stuff they get are 10 times more than their taxes.
I personally know a couple who are restaurant business owners; they pay little tax, the tax is not enough to sponso her parents to come. She found a co-responsor for her parents' visas. But the real situation is, they earn pretty good money. They buy the every advanced stuff such as Iphone, Ipad for each of their kids and themselves...they buy their kids very very very expensive toys without hesitation.
After she got her parents here. Two months later, her mom had a Cerebral hemorrhage. The medical bill was more than 200,000 hospital bills and the government paid them all. The couple didn't need to pay a penny of it. The government is contuning to pay for the momther's recovery process bill.
Now, the parents are planning to sell their houses in their momther country, and to bring in part of money here to buy a house and start to collect welfare because they are no income people.
too much to say about this case. I am tired of typing.
What you guys are babbling about is all off topic anyway so feel free to type away...in another thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 12:41 PM

34,279 posts, read 83,665,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
What you guys are babbling about is all off topic anyway so feel free to type away...in another thread.
At post 181? Ha. Get real.
Whatever the OP posited (and he was quite wrong in this case btw) was sorted out by post #10

Old 11-18-2013, 05:54 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,167,225 times
Quote:
You can talk for yourself. You only see your own life and you try to apply your own life to every immigrant's life. You are taking a part for the whole. There are so many different immigrants in this country, and you are just one of them. Your situation doesn't extent to the rest of it.

Exactly. But the same holds true for your statements. Legal immigrants as a whole are a net benefit to the country. You can always come up with some example to the contrary, but it is meaningless.

Plus, the country has taken steps to ensure that legal immigrants are not a burden. I had to sign a waiver prohibiting me from drawing on any social service for 10 years after I was allowed entry into the country. 10 years later I owned a home and two businesses employing 8 people.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:07 PM

189 posts, read 241,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Exactly. But the same holds true for your statements. Legal immigrants as a whole are a net benefit to the country. You can always come up with some example to the contrary, but it is meaningless.

Plus, the country has taken steps to ensure that legal immigrants are not a burden. I had to sign a waiver prohibiting me from drawing on any social service for 10 years after I was allowed entry into the country. 10 years later I owned a home and two businesses employing 8 people.
Good job and good for you. Wish there are more people like you.

In my example, the old lady told me that "the hospital won't kick me out even I have no money. They are going to treat me as long as I show up." Her daughter is worse. Because she never has to pay any medical bill, she visits the hospital as if the hospital is her private garden. She has to take her son to the hosptial for a mosquitoe bit. She visits the hospital very often. Most of the time for nothing, just for making sure that she or her kids are perfectly healthy.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:27 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,100,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
FWIW I don't think anyone said that a company "owes" someone a job I believe most have said that the way a company goes about their hiring when they are hiring is a complete mess. Also at a public company if HR and management are not hiring properly and attracting good people, or retaining good people, the trickle down in the end could start hurting profits. Bad HR, bad supervisors, and bad management affects everyone but for some reason these people are untouchable and not held accountable for anything. HR is the worst from what I have seen an HR person can be a total screw up and they never get canned. Anyone that is involved in hiring should be held partially responsible for how the company is doing. Why is it the guy at the bottom is supposed to be perfect for 10 bucks an hour and make everyone else above him look good and help get them rich.
You wonder why this isn't the case already.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:33 PM

189 posts, read 241,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You wonder why this isn't the case already.
I don't know any publicly-owned companies. I know some private business owners; they are very conservative on spending and financial management. They give their employees fair wages and they are very concerned about spending or project planning. They plan very well not to waste money where they can control. They are very hard working people too.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:10 AM

329 posts, read 463,369 times
Immigrant pay lot of tax. Not worth.
Myself I have given up my green card and left the USA. Going green is expensive.
USA became a s.. T hole and it will be worse when robots will replace all workers.

Who want create a business and hire locals today?

They give green card if you put 1 millions$ on the table for a business . I know guys who got green card after buying and renting condo. They will soon wake up when they realize that many people don't pay their rent.

Now let see, u got 2 millions, buy stocks and bonds , roi around 5%, 100k$ a year.

Why do u want me to open a business And risk my money by selling socks? And be sucked by irs with report to do 4 times a year.

This is another reason why people don't do anything in USA. Not worth the risk, not worth to work anymore....

Old 11-19-2013, 03:29 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,420,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I have an update for you guys (for now). Tuesday I'm taking a test for the CNC course which is starting january 14. It's supposed to be 8th grade reading and math with fractions, decimals and percents. That same day I have to attend a workshop and then schedule an appointment with an employment counselor and explain to them that I need funding to pay for the course. I have to explain to them how I am unemployable, and that I can't find a job with only a GED. Even the lady I spoke to was concerned for me, and told me I'm not going to get far with just a GED. I guess it's up to them if I get the funding or not. I'll be sure to let you guys know how things turn out.
I PASSED THE TEST!!!!!!!!!!! December 6th I ask for funding.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:07 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,100,380 times
Quote:
I don't know any publicly-owned companies. I know some private business owners; they are very conservative on spending and financial management. They give their employees fair wages and they are very concerned about spending or project planning. They plan very well not to waste money where they can control. They are very hard working people too.
What I was referring to the case that HR make bad choices but seem to get off "Scott Free" from making bad hiring choices over and over again.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:57 AM

7,959 posts, read 7,924,976 times
"I don't know any publicly-owned companies"

Sure you don't mean traded? Pensions are invested in stocks, just look up Calpers.

Publicly owned I know plenty. Look up municipal owned corporations. Light companies, cable companies, transit services etc. They are all over the place. Local governments can also operate swimming pools, golf courses, community centers and the list goes on. Often times they are in what is called quasi government which is like a company.

There's also other organizations like fanny mae and freddie mac that are largely owned by the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment