Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 11:10 AM

420 posts, read 768,326 times

Advertisements

Nope. I'm on a career path. I'm not making that much but I'd rather keep doing what I do and not make double what I make now, for the rest of my life... Especially when I can make triple what I make in a year or two with opportunities to make more in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 11:14 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,033 times
I don't live for money but money is needed to live. My pay is crap so twice my salary would take me from just barely making ends meet to everything is taken care of and omg, I have money left over, whu and I hate my current job and coworkers anyway, so sure, I'd take it in a heartbeat!

That's even with the potential risks of assembly work (unless it's a direct threat to my health rather than there just being an increase in the number of safety hazards). After all, you never said we have to work there for the rest of our lives

Old 01-14-2014, 12:31 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaekn View Post
Nope. I'm on a career path. I'm not making that much but I'd rather keep doing what I do and not make double what I make now, for the rest of my life... Especially when I can make triple what I make in a year or two with opportunities to make more in the future.
There are careers in assembly work. Some jobs require advanced technical knowledge and plenty of experience. This goes beyond simply and mindless assembly work. More like assembling airplanes, cars, etc. Some jobs require advanced education as well. Most of the actual work is pretty brainless and monotonous though.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:44 PM

420 posts, read 768,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
There are careers in assembly work. Some jobs require advanced technical knowledge and plenty of experience. This goes beyond simply and mindless assembly work. More like assembling airplanes, cars, etc. Some jobs require advanced education as well. Most of the actual work is pretty brainless and monotonous though.

How often is someone on an assembly line promoted? I honestly have no idea. In my field, you can get a certification and get promoted quickly and if you're good, you can make real money. In my H.S. days I worked in a tea packing place that was paying 15 bucks an hour and I loved it part time but I couldn't imagine doing that kind of thing all day every day, that would bankrupt my mind.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:48 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaekn View Post
How often is someone on an assembly line promoted? I honestly have no idea. In my field, you can get a certification and get promoted quickly and if you're good, you can make real money. In my H.S. days I worked in a tea packing place that was paying 15 bucks an hour and I loved it part time but I couldn't imagine doing that kind of thing all day every day, that would bankrupt my mind.
I'm sure promotions are difficult to come by. They probably require years of experience, and in that time, the candidate wouldn't be earning very much, unless they worked for a unionized outfit.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 431 times
I worked in a bread plants for three days and quit. I came from an office job thinking I could do a labor job and check out, but everyone is looking at you and if you look like you're getting used to the pace they hassle you to do more. Lifting hundreds of trays throughout your shift, hot, cold, pushing around racks that weigh close to 800 hundred pounds when full. I got fatigued very fast, dehydrated, can't stop for water until your break, every bone hurt, ever muscle. My wrists and back were killing me as were my neck and shoulders. After three days I was so dehydrated that I started to develop bronchitis, and was so exhausted I quit. I can't imagine doing that work five days a week for 30 years. I have nothing but admiration for people that work in those types of positions. This is definitely the kind of job that you have to want to do or have absolutely no other choice. Everyone in the plant had their own personally pain horror story - burns, carpel-tunnel, back issues, crushed fingers, broken arms. I also heard stories of new hires leaving to go to lunch and not returning. I felt like everyone was super nice and helpful and willing to help you out. I just couldn't handle it physically, and I knew if I tried to grin and bare it, that eventually I would end up hurting myself and not be able to work at all. Also, that kind of work does lead to muscular/skeletal problems down the road. Sure, I would like a pension, but not if I am broken and worn down.

Last edited by DKhound; 11-18-2016 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: My nipples itch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment