Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 05:23 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,038,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Now days no one wants the liability of having a young man his age working for them. Even the federal government in its summer employment programs doesn't allow them to work outside in summer heat. Not even parents would let their son deliver and collect on a paper route like when I was a kid in this society.
Yeh, I saw on TV kids having paper routes. I thought, how cool it would be if I had that. But I never saw a kid in real life have any paper route. I knew there was once upon a time, but not now anymore. So my dreams were dashed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 07:33 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,979,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Yeh, I saw on TV kids having paper routes. I thought, how cool it would be if I had that. But I never saw a kid in real life have any paper route. I knew there was once upon a time, but not now anymore. So my dreams were dashed.
Yeah, the image of the kids throwing the papers from their bicycles is passe. Now you have them throwing them out of cars and trucks. That limits it in most places to 16-8 and older due to the hour restrictions by local gov't.

The fact it is not easy to find work and it don't help when millenials were coddled to death b parents and their teaching into thinking some jobs were beneath them (whether they are or not) and that school is more important than experience.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:29 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,414,522 times
Newspaper delivery and newspapers in general are a dying industry. Now you can just pull up the latest news on your cell phone or laptop at a starbucks. No need to pay a dollar for a few pieces of paper.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:03 AM

827 posts, read 1,091,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Newspaper delivery and newspapers in general are a dying industry. Now you can just pull up the latest news on your cell phone or laptop at a starbucks. No need to pay a dollar for a few pieces of paper.
You seem to have an excuse for everything, don't you?

Old 07-28-2013, 11:20 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,979,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wargamer6 View Post
You seem to have an excuse for everything, don't you?
No, for once he is not making an excuse on this one. He doesn't have his head in the sand about newspapers. There's many applications on your phone you can pull up news whenever you want. I use pulse which you can you use man sources they pre-screened and even your own rss feeds from google reader. Many print media companies actually post more stories online that are not picked up in the papers than the ones you read in any of the papers.

Within 10/15 years, the newspaper will be dead. The fact is you can get the information at your own ease rather than buying a newspaper for $1.00 each day and having to lug it around. You can already find your favorite comics online. Even political cartoons are going to the net. I know on Pulse, I actually follow the Dilbert comics.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:00 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,940,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yeah, the image of the kids throwing the papers from their bicycles is passe. Now you have them throwing them out of cars and trucks. That limits it in most places to 16-8 and older due to the hour restrictions by local gov't.

The fact it is not easy to find work and it don't help when millenials were coddled to death b parents and their teaching into thinking some jobs were beneath them (whether they are or not) and that school is more important than experience.
The only jobs available for a millennial with a high school diploma is low wage retail/fast food. You can't get a union factory job anymore. College/trade school is the only option.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:50 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,694,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenrule2 View Post
Keep in mind this is probably a kid who got his current job because of his mommy or daddy's connections. Gotta love when privileged people lecture us about how to compete in the job market.

You don't know that. He is spot on about dressing properly.

I have been in several restaurants eating when a young person comes in looking for a job, very rarely are they dressed properly. T-shirts and shorts, faded jeans, etc.

You don't need to wear a suit, but a shirt with a collar and a decent pair of pants shows you made an effort.

You also don't come into a restaurant looking for work during the lunch/dinner rush. Just saw this last week, young woman comes in faded jeans and a tube top at 6pm asking about a server job when the place was packed.....LOL. No one had time to talk to her, you go by at 3pm and make a decent appearance.

It is amazing how many kids today are so clueless about looking for a job.

There is another thread on here where a teen got the email address of a restaurant manager and instead of going back in person is emailing about the status of a job.

What's next? Sitting there and texting during an interview.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:19 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,414,522 times
Newspapers are dying a slow but steady death. How can you deny such a thing? Heck, the jobs section alone should be proof of that. Out here I remember years ago it was the main spot to find ads for items for sale, apartments and job listings. Now it's barely a full page of classifieds. Craigslist alone has wiped the floor with print classifieds. Nobody is willing to pay money to post a tiny 20 word blurb when they can go on craigslist and post a complete ad, with pictures for more then a week and it's absolutely FREE to post. You can also widen your audience, and post in any state rather then limit yourself to a local area. In my neck of the woods more and more sections of the newspaper is being posted on their website only so the only way to read it is to go on their website.

The dying newspaper industry is a perfect example of automation. The internet alone is killing it.

The same can be said for books, and physical media like CD's, and disc-based media. Kindle, Netflix, and online streaming services and the internet as a whole is wiping the floor clean of these things.

Everything is being digitized.

Last edited by parried; 07-28-2013 at 07:34 PM..

Old 07-28-2013, 07:35 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,130,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Newspapers are dying a slow but steady death. How can you deny such a thing? Heck, the jobs section alone should be proof of that. Out here I remember years ago it was the main spot to find ads for items for sale, apartments and job listings. Now it's barely a full page of classifieds. Craigslist alone has wiped the floor with print classifieds. Nobody is willing to pay money to post a tiny 20 word blurb when they can go on craigslist and post a complete ad, with pictures for more then a week and it's absolutely FREE to post. You can also widen your audience, and post in any state rather then limit yourself to a local area. In my neck of the woods more and more sections of the newspaper is being posted on their website only so the only way to read it is to go on their website.

The dying newspaper industry is a perfect example of automation. The internet alone is killing it.

The same can be said for books, and physical media like CD's, and disc-based media. Kindle, Netflix, and online streaming services and the internet as a whole is wiping the floor clean of these things.

Everything is being digitized.

The employment section in the philadelphia inquirer is still pretty big on Sundays

Old 07-28-2013, 08:00 PM

341 posts, read 676,210 times
I had a paper route as a kid. Hopped on the iron horse and got it done. Remember spending all day Saturday with a big old bag of rubberbands and a couple stacks of unfolded papers.

Most of my friends had them too. We all felt "mature" that we had a job (even though it was just for the Sunday circular). I totally forgot about it until now. I'd remember that great feeling of being the kid that could buy whatever toys he wanted. Lol, the nostalgia.

Tbh though, if I was a parent now, I'd be a little freaked over my kid being out at 3am on Sunday morning (which we all know is basically Saturday 'night' when the drunks are coming home in droves) on a bicycle by themselves.

Society has shifted with all the freaks out and about kidnapping, etc and I think that has a lot to do with it. I'm in my mid/late 20's so it wasn't that long ago everything was fine. Now a days, parents don't even let their children goto the parks or ride to school on a bike. Kinda hard to do anything with that gloomy of an outlook.

Teenagers however, are different. They should go out and get a job as soon as they can drive. It's good for the soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment