Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 12:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,509 times

Advertisements

I am going to be graduating with a Bachelors in Engineering in Spring 2008 and going to be entering the workforce. It's that time of the year when Seniors are searching for jobs, and I wanted to ask some of the more experienced ppl on this board - how hard is it to switch companies/find a job after a couple years, say when you're still young, at 24-25 years old? Not a total change of career, but rather just doing engineering work for one company and moving to do engineering for another one. Do companies like to see that you have had some years of post-graduation experience, or is it easier to get a job with the company you want as a completely new college grad, since you would be "fresh" and they could "mold" you into their company? It also seems so much likelier to get the job you want straight out of college because of all the on-campus recruiting and job fairs.

Sigh - Thinking about the future is rough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 08:06 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
If we could always guess what would be best for the future, no one would ever have any problems.

Yes, companies like those with a little work experience. But they don't like to see someone that has a history of jumping from job to job. In my opinion, take the best job offer, from the best firm, and worry about what will happen in two or three years later. Investigate. Be careful and be a little picky about what you choose, but not so picky that you might pass up a great opportunity.

Pick a company that seems to be stable with good leadership.

And, let's face it, by next June, jobs may be scarce. If you have to, take anything just to get job experience and a pay check.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:32 AM

943 posts, read 4,258,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
If we could always guess what would be best for the future, no one would ever have any problems.

Yes, companies like those with a little work experience. But they don't like to see someone that has a history of jumping from job to job. In my opinion, take the best job offer, from the best firm, and worry about what will happen in two or three years later. Investigate. Be careful and be a little picky about what you choose, but not so picky that you might pass up a great opportunity.

Pick a company that seems to be stable with good leadership.

And, let's face it, by next June, jobs may be scarce. If you have to, take anything just to get job experience and a pay check.
I agree with everything he said especially about researching the firm. It is important not get a job that will destroy your rep for the future. Always do everything in your power to get along with your supervisor because they will get that famous question "would you rehire" when you new potential employer does your background check.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:57 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
I think it's fairly typical to graduate college and go into your entry level job for 2 years and then move on. Personally, I think it's tough to overcome that "new employee right out of school reputation" that you get at work at your first job. Eight years later they still think of you as a newbie. You have to move on - and move up a notch however small - when you move to get away from that reputation.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:00 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,393,230 times
It might be beneficial to move around a little--particularly if each successive job shows a noticeable advancement in skills and responsibilities. I tend to think that if someone--particularly in their 20s is at the same job for several years--they may be staying in that job because they lack a desire for growth or a challenge. But that's just my opinion. I'd be interested in hearing others' observations on this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john830038 View Post
I am going to be graduating with a Bachelors in Engineering in Spring 2008 and going to be entering the workforce. It's that time of the year when Seniors are searching for jobs, and I wanted to ask some of the more experienced ppl on this board - how hard is it to switch companies/find a job after a couple years, say when you're still young, at 24-25 years old? Not a total change of career, but rather just doing engineering work for one company and moving to do engineering for another one. Do companies like to see that you have had some years of post-graduation experience, or is it easier to get a job with the company you want as a completely new college grad, since you would be "fresh" and they could "mold" you into their company? It also seems so much likelier to get the job you want straight out of college because of all the on-campus recruiting and job fairs.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:41 AM

558 posts, read 2,248,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
It might be beneficial to move around a little--particularly if each successive job shows a noticeable advancement in skills and responsibilities. I tend to think that if someone--particularly in their 20s is at the same job for several years--they may be staying in that job because they lack a desire for growth or a challenge. But that's just my opinion. I'd be interested in hearing others' observations on this too.
Yes, I agree with this. As long as each job is at least 2 years (not always possible to control, I know, but a goal), it should not be a problem. If you've done a good job, the new prospective employer will just be glad you're available!

Old 10-21-2007, 05:42 PM

947 posts, read 3,572,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john830038 View Post

In the industry I work in, if you're younger and haven't had alot of expierience, but enough to prove you know what you're talking about and are willing to work hard, new companies can hire a young person so they can teach them and mold them.

Now, to actually change jobs, in terms of physical location.... I've done it several times in 5 years.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:31 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
You don't want to be stuck in a job too long. If you are lucky and get in with a great company, you will know it (you'll get raises or treated well, get good pay, perks, whatever). If you wind up with an awful or so so one, you may have to do a few years then look out for something better.

I am not a believer in staying with one firm for 20 years unless it's an excellent company and they keep promoting you and paying you well. Otherwise, even if you have a job, you should keep your eyes out for the next best opportunity.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:39 AM

947 posts, read 3,572,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
You don't want to be stuck in a job too long. If you are lucky and get in with a great company, you will know it (you'll get raises or treated well, get good pay, perks, whatever). If you wind up with an awful or so so one, you may have to do a few years then look out for something better.

I am not a believer in staying with one firm for 20 years unless it's an excellent company and they keep promoting you and paying you well. Otherwise, even if you have a job, you should keep your eyes out for the next best opportunity.
I disagree somewhat, but only because of the industry I work in.

To much, job security is most important. To me, as long as my job is secure and the boss/fellow employees respect, understand and appreciate me that's what's important.

it's hard to find in broadcasting and that's why ive gone through several jobs, because i haven't found the one station to call "home"

Old 10-22-2007, 08:39 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
I agree with you. I am just offering the op the idea that 'sometimes' you need to move on. Whatever makes us stay at a job or leave depends on our priorities. I would not mind 'lower' pay, for example, if the environment was pleasant and perhaps flexible on stopping and starting the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment