Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 07:55 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,363,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Exactly. Every single person who is either hiring or a head hunter or employment expert on TV says that.

Obviously the OP lives at home or something and has no rent or other responsibilities. He is making a HUGE error. There are always excuses you can make for working a lower level job. You can't make up reasons for a blank resume.

Even the Dunkin Donuts on my corner is hiring FFS. I'm a pet sitter and my associates cannot even find a competent, trustworthy common sense person to hire. Apparently taking care of person's two most important possessions their home and pet is "beneath them". Good - don't apply to my company. I had ONE CLIENT spend $22K last year alone.
I'm telling you this as a fact.

For professional jobs, having non professional jobs on your resume works against the applicant in most cases. At best, he employer or recruiter ignores them and at worst they assume that something is wrong with the applicant for working such a job (especially if it's anythingb longer than 6 mos) .

When one is looking for a professional job, you don't get points for working non professional, low wage jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 08:00 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,092,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post

For professional jobs, having non professional jobs on your resume works against the applicant in most cases. At best, he employer or recruiter ignores them and at worst they assume that something is wrong with the applicant for working such a job (especially if it's anythingb longer than 6 mos) .

When one is looking for a professional job, you don't get points for working non professional, low wage jobs.

And if they are low wage positions they have to have some type of connection to the professional job you are applying for

Old 07-21-2013, 05:56 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,783,131 times
Quote:

And here's another one to tell you "as a fact" that you couldn't be more wrong. From where on earth are you getting this rubbish? You're obviously not an employer and never have been ...

Old 07-21-2013, 06:00 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,066,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
And here's another one to tell you "as a fact" that you couldn't be more wrong. From where on earth are you getting this rubbish?

ROFL..I've been wondering the very same thing for several pages now.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:04 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,066,254 times
Quote:

And you're a hiring manager? A headhunter? A recruiter? I doubt it, if you were, you wouldn't be saying what you're saying.

Going to Hamburger U and having the title of Lead Fry Guy doesn't qualify you as a professional...just wanted to point that out to you.

I've read some really stupid things on this forum, but this one here takes the cake. Hands down. Wow. Clueless.
I suggest you spend more time with your grandmother...she's one smart cookie.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:33 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,363,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
And here's another one to tell you "as a fact" that you couldn't be more wrong. From where on earth are you getting this rubbish? You're obviously not an employer and never have been ...
What about being an employer? Th guy who mows my lawn is an employer....of illegal Mexicans and central Americans. So what? Not all employers are created equal.

I'm telling you this from the point of view of the NYC professional job market.

If I had to guess, you are older and still stuck in the past. Times change and conditions evolve. The divide between professional and non professional jobs is as great as it ever was.

You can be the greatest worker for decades at a **** job now and you'll still live in poverty. A capable person at a crap job is simply screwing themselves nowadays.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:17 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,783,131 times
Quote:
What about being an employer? Th guy who mows my lawn is an employer....of illegal Mexicans and central Americans. So what? Not all employers are created equal.

If I had to guess, you are older and still stuck in the past. Times change and conditions evolve. The divide between professional and non professional jobs is as great as it ever was.

You can be the greatest worker for decades at a **** job now and you'll still live in poverty. A capable person at a crap job is simply screwing themselves nowadays.
You really are quite the assumptive blowhard but I'l give you some leeway because of your obvious youth and inexperience. I assuredly am "older" but very much not "stuck in the past". Nonetheless, that's certainly a common enough dismissal from your ilk and is amusing. I would still very much like to know from where you're getting all this clichéd rubbish? " ... from the point of view of the NYC professional job market" isn't an answer.

And what about being an employer? Whatever point you're trying to make is so out there that it's unintelligible. Not all employers are created equal? Who'd a thunk! That's some revelation.

Thanks for a morning chuckle, anyway!

Old 07-21-2013, 10:11 AM
FBJ

Quote:

I was telling my cousin this last year about the divide. You saw one job posting for a director and then another job posting for janitor lol. It was like all the mid-level jobs were being eliminated and all you saw was high level and low level positions.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:41 AM

2,704 posts, read 2,771,236 times
Quote:

Well...I'd rather take the low paying job and get something on my resume than just sit on my ass and watch Judge Judy all day. Taking a low paying job doesn't mean you'll stay there forever. Taking a low paying job shows that you are a hard working person and you're not the type of person to just sit around and do nothing.

This call center job I landed doesn't have the best pay in the world and the hours suck, but I would rather take that and do it for a while than to just sit around, waiting for this magical job to fall on my lap.

This is survival mode now.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:55 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Well...I'd rather take the low paying job and get something on my resume than just sit on my ass and watch Judge Judy all day. Taking a low paying job doesn't mean you'll stay there forever. Taking a low paying job shows that you are a hard working person and you're not the type of person to just sit around and do nothing.

This call center job I landed doesn't have the best pay in the world and the hours suck, but I would rather take that and do it for a while than to just sit around, waiting for this magical job to fall on my lap.

This is survival mode now.

Why does not taking a low paying job mean you are home watching TV??? You can be home creating new cover letters or resumes so you can be in a better job somewhere down the line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment