Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2011, 08:03 PM

670 posts, read 1,277,823 times

Advertisements

Typically,
This would be a no-brainer question but I have 2 offers on the table. One is a high paying contract-to-hire job with a very stable large financial company that is very flexible and family oriented. (yucky commute though). The other job is a permanent job with one of the Big 4 auditing firms.

The problem: Everyone I've asked about the Big4 has spoken negatively about the stability due to recent mass layoffs in IT. ( I wont be in IT there though) and the fact that they are NOTORIOUS for working VERY long hours. They average a min of 200 annual OT hours and rate your performance on how much OT you work. I have kids so I am not interested in slaving anymore. Been there done that.

I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place because I am used to having job stability and benefits for my family. I want a perm job but not the ridiculous hours. Work/Life balance is important to me. What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 12:12 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
What makes the commute yucky? Does it take longer?

200 OT hours/year = 10% OT = average of 4 hours/week = average 48 Minutes/day.

If your commute is longer by 24 minutes each way, then the time issue may be a wash depending on distribution. Clearly, I went for a flat distribution in the calculation above.

Just something to think about.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:10 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
Typically,
This would be a no-brainer question but I have 2 offers on the table. One is a high paying contract-to-hire job with a very stable large financial company that is very flexible and family oriented. (yucky commute though). The other job is a permanent job with one of the Big 4 auditing firms.

The problem: Everyone I've asked about the Big4 has spoken negatively about the stability due to recent mass layoffs in IT. ( I wont be in IT there though) and the fact that they are NOTORIOUS for working VERY long hours. They average a min of 200 annual OT hours and rate your performance on how much OT you work. I have kids so I am not interested in slaving anymore. Been there done that.

I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place because I am used to having job stability and benefits for my family. I want a perm job but not the ridiculous hours. Work/Life balance is important to me. What would you do?
How long is the probation period and how confident are you that the position is really a temp to hire and not just a temp position.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:07 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times
Contract to hire is risky. They could just tell you "see ya later" at the end of the contract (regardless of your performance) simply because they only needed someone temporarily and didn't want to advertise it as such.

At least with a permanent position, the company normally needs a good reason to fire you.

I have never worked contract to hire, and I wouldn't unless I was desperate.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:13 AM

Yes, I can definitely handle 4 hours extra a week, its just that I was forewarned that they have "busy season" and that estimate could increase during Jan-Mar. The commute to my current job commute sucks because it is about an hour away, requires taking several highways, bi-ways, tolls and bridges to get there.

You're right, the commuting time may wash the extra hours away. Hadnt thougt of it that way. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
What makes the commute yucky? Does it take longer?

200 OT hours/year = 10% OT = average of 4 hours/week = average 48 Minutes/day.

If your commute is longer by 24 minutes each way, then the time issue may be a wash depending on distribution. Clearly, I went for a flat distribution in the calculation above.

Just something to think about.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
How long is the probation period and how confident are you that the position is really a temp to hire and not just a temp position.
Pretty confident.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:18 AM

You're absolutely right and thats why I am thinking the extra money may not be worth it in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Contract to hire is risky. They could just tell you "see ya later" at the end of the contract (regardless of your performance) simply because they only needed someone temporarily and didn't want to advertise it as such.

At least with a permanent position, the company normally needs a good reason to fire you.

I have never worked contract to hire, and I wouldn't unless I was desperate.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:24 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,671,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
You're absolutely right and thats why I am thinking the extra money may not be worth it in the long run.
It depends but if you have kids and the benefits are very important to you, I would opt for the perm job immediately with benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment