Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 06:23 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Bingo. Bingo.bingo.

Too many people are of the mindset that a job is better than job. That may be true in a undeveloped country but it doesn't hold true in a developed economy.

We all know people working similar jobs but earning vastly different wages. We all know people who work 10x harder than others but earn half the pay.

There are plenty of capable people who get stuck in bad jobs. There are also plenty of incapable people who have good jobs.
A bad job is more than just bad pay. A bad job will zap your confidence and retard your skills growth. In essence, it's setting you up for failure no matter how hard or well you work.

I will say that some people have kids to feed so in essence they're stuck but if you don't, always look for better and don't be afraid of letting go of bad jobs.
Umm...the person you quoted still lived at home with Mummsie and Daddsie......they didn't need the job. They could afford to live on zero income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 06:30 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,356,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
So you believe that if you have a family you should consider taking a job below your skill level to keep your family fed and clothed and a roof above the communal head but that, if you're single with no dependents, living under a bridge in a cardboard box is preferable to that? Hmmm.
Depends (as most things in life).

Some people can afford to be more picky ( can live with family, don't need income right away, etc.).

When my brother graduated college without a job lined up, my immigrant grandmother (with an immigrant mentality) was constantly badgering my brother to get any job. I told my grandmother that she was completely wrong and had the old world mindset. I told my brother to keep looking for jobs in his field because taking a ****ty job would actually put him in a worse position (both mentally and career development wise).

Four months later my brother landed a gig at one of the largest chemical companies in the world with great entry level pay, benefits, and most importantly, future prospects.

If he took a **** job working for 10/hr, I can assure you that he'd most likely be there. Why? It mostly has to do with the human psyche. As I said earlier, a **** job's worst aspect isn't the pay. It's the toll that it has on your psyche and development.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Umm...the person you quoted still lived at home with Mummsie and Daddsie......they didn't need the job. They could afford to live on zero income.

And? Too many don't leverage that in the correct way or throw that away (i.e.having kids).

During college I worked at a warehouse during summers and got close to a lot of the people working there. Some were completely inept and that was probably the best they could do. Others were very capable but simply either got stuck in that job for way too long (got a little too content) or made very poor decisions along the way (having multiple kids, etc.).

Old 07-20-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:

Some people can afford to be more picky ( can live with family, don't need income right away, etc.).

When my brother graduated college without a job lined up, my immigrant grandmother (with an immigrant mentality) was constantly badgering my brother to get any job. I told my grandmother that she was completely wrong and had the old world mindset. I told my brother to keep looking for jobs in his field because taking a ****ty job would actually put him in a worse position (both mentally and career development wise).

Four months later my brother landed a gig at one of the largest chemical companies in the world with great entry level pay, benefits, and most importantly, future prospects.

If he took a **** job working for 10/hr, I can assure you that he'd most likely be there. Why? It mostly has to do with the human psyche. As I said earlier, a **** job's worst aspect isn't the pay. It's the toll that it has on your psyche and development.

Your grandmother was right.

When we are looking at applicants..we look for people who are willing to work, we look for those who are willing to do what it takes to feed their familes, those slackers who sit at home (for four mths doing nothing) holding out for middle management, never get passed the first interview.

And for the record, kids aren't a mistake. Your mother chose to have you didn't she?

Old 07-20-2013, 06:53 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Quote:
That was a heck of a lot of extemporizing based on one simple question!

Old 07-20-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:

When we are looking at applicants..we look for people who are willing to work, we look for those who are willing to do what it takes to feed their familes, those slackers who sit at home (for four mths doing nothing) holding out for middle management, never get passed the first interview.

And for the record, kids aren't a mistake. Your mother chose to have you didn't she?
My brother's employer has a $100bn market cap so I think they know how to run a business a bit better than your company. It wasn't a middle management position either. It was entry level.

Most likely you're looking for low paid work? You're looking for **** employees to do **** work. Sometimes you stumble upon great employees but they usually leave for something better, right? Some people need your jobs and some don't.

We currently have this mantra as if all jobs are created equal. **** jobs don't contribute much to the economy. In fact, the state is most likely subsidizing them (food stamps, medicaid, housing, etc.). Not only are they retarding their workers growth but also the growth of those that work productive jobs (paying more taxes to subsidize low wage labor).

If someone's applying for an engineering position and has 10 years worth of experience at McD's, do you think that even counts for anything? In fact, that will most likely count against them.

There isn't anything special about **** jobs. A good to great employee at a **** job produces much more than they are paid. In essence, they're literally wasting their time.

btw, I don't advocate not having kids. I'm advocating having kids when the time's right/ advantageous.

The truth is that nothing prevents capital from taking advantage or labor or vice versa. In a tight labor market, capital has an incentive to take advantage of labor. Therefore, it's imperative not to be a part of those who are taken advantage off if you can help it. DON'T BE A SUCKER. Everyone's looking for a sucker.

Last edited by wawaweewa; 07-20-2013 at 07:16 AM..

Old 07-20-2013, 11:52 AM

25,943 posts, read 22,098,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
OP,

You work 7 hours a day and you are not allow to have lunch? Isn't there some kind of regulation that states that if you work a certain amount of hours you should be able to have a lunch break? Do you at least get a 15 minute break?
You would think breaks would be required but under the new moving toward being a 3rd world country coupled with stomping out unions:

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/workhours/breaks.htm

States could differ but Kansas does not, I could not believe it! It helps in KS since they depend on illegal labor to keep the wages down and benefits to a minimum if any.

Temp jobs appear to suck across the board. One issue becomes that it can be difficult to get to an interview if you have one of the temp jobs. Never trust a "temp to permanent" because the incentive to make an employee permanent is generally not there.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:21 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
You would think breaks would be required but under the new moving toward being a 3rd world country coupled with stomping out unions:

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/workhours/breaks.htm

States could differ but Kansas does not, I could not believe it! It helps in KS since they depend on illegal labor to keep the wages down and benefits to a minimum if any.

Temp jobs appear to suck across the board. One issue becomes that it can be difficult to get to an interview if you have one of the temp jobs. Never trust a "temp to permanent" because the incentive to make an employee permanent is generally not there.

That's why I always say that if you think you can get a job that is not with a temp agency that is the best thing you can do. Plus a lot of them have lowered their hourly pay rate since 2009 which makes any job they offer pointless because you will spend most of it on transportation.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
My brother's employer has a $100bn market cap so I think they know how to run a business a bit better than your company. It wasn't a middle management position either. It was entry level.

Most likely you're looking for low paid work? You're looking for **** employees to do **** work. Sometimes you stumble upon great employees but they usually leave for something better, right? Some people need your jobs and some don't.

We currently have this mantra as if all jobs are created equal. **** jobs don't contribute much to the economy. In fact, the state is most likely subsidizing them (food stamps, medicaid, housing, etc.). Not only are they retarding their workers growth but also the growth of those that work productive jobs (paying more taxes to subsidize low wage labor).

If someone's applying for an engineering position and has 10 years worth of experience at McD's, do you think that even counts for anything? In fact, that will most likely count against them.

There isn't anything special about **** jobs. A good to great employee at a **** job produces much more than they are paid. In essence, they're literally wasting their time.

btw, I don't advocate not having kids. I'm advocating having kids when the time's right/ advantageous.

The truth is that nothing prevents capital from taking advantage or labor or vice versa. In a tight labor market, capital has an incentive to take advantage of labor. Therefore, it's imperative not to be a part of those who are taken advantage off if you can help it. DON'T BE A SUCKER. Everyone's looking for a sucker.

Wow! You're just one big ball of assumptions aren't you? You couldn't be more wrong on several points if you tried.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:04 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,889,499 times
Quote:

Exactly. Every single person who is either hiring or a head hunter or employment expert on TV says that.

Obviously the OP lives at home or something and has no rent or other responsibilities. He is making a HUGE error. There are always excuses you can make for working a lower level job. You can't make up reasons for a blank resume.

Even the Dunkin Donuts on my corner is hiring FFS. I'm a pet sitter and my associates cannot even find a competent, trustworthy common sense person to hire. Apparently taking care of person's two most important possessions their home and pet is "beneath them". Good - don't apply to my company. I had ONE CLIENT spend $22K last year alone.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 07-20-2013 at 06:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment