Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 07:05 PM

227 posts, read 745,499 times

Advertisements

I work in Retail and currently just finish college and interviewing for jobs with other companies. I work for the big “W-Mart". I just wanted to know why customers feel the need to be disrespectful to retail workers. Most wanted to be treated like royalty in the store, why do people get mad quick, raise their voice, and always demand a manger? Would they act like think in front of their boss, or coworkers or family? No, so why treat retail workers like they are stupid, and don't deserve respect?

Why do shoppers feel entitled?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 07:07 PM

503 posts, read 1,172,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh2k19 View Post
I work in Retail and currently just finish college and interviewing for jobs with other companies. I work for the big “W-Mart". I just wanted to know why customers feel the need to be disrespectful to retail workers. Most wanted to be treated like royalty in the store, why do people get mad quick, raise their voice, and always demand a manger? Would they act like think in front of their boss, or coworkers or family? No, so why treat retail workers like they are stupid, and don't deserve respect?

A lot of people assume those jobs are for failures, which is why some people think fast food and retail is below them.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
I think if you really observe its works both way; some retail employees often act like they could careless about customers: I have seen both just as a shopper.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:10 PM

486 posts, read 1,255,594 times
Because all retail workers are lazy, rude, and don't take any pride in their work and treat customers like an inconvenience instead of guests, which they are.

See what I just did there? Stereotypes go both ways.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:12 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,475,281 times
I don't, actually some of the W mart, not you, cashiers are really unfriendly. I have asked them to double bag two 2 litre sodas and got some ugly looks. I didn't ask for the winning lotto ticket and I don't get that look at the regular grocery store.

It's a combo of factors.........low pay, overworked people, and overstressed shoppers=bad exp. Oh and let's not forget some of them are bitter seniors working there because they got wiped out in the stock market.

My rule is you get what you give or better stated karma.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:15 PM

227 posts, read 745,499 times
Because all retail workers are lazy, rude, and don't take any pride in their work and treat customers like an inconvenience instead of guests, which they are.

bjh2k19: This is why workers are mean as hell, we just want your money.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:21 PM

503 posts, read 1,172,082 times
Whenever I worked customer service, I'd always get mad when the customer assumed I was getting their money. It was like they though if they bought $20 sheets, I'd get $20. Then when I'd tell them I get paid minimum wage no commission, they tell me I need to go to college. I tell them I already got my bachelors degree. Usually by this point they wander away confused.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:28 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think if you really observe its works both way; some retail employees often act like they could careless about customers: I have seen both just as a shopper.
THIS. I worked my way through part of high school and all of college in retail, so I know how you are *supposed* treat a customer. How they actually treat a customer is a whole 'nother story. Sometimes I am appalled and I find myself thinking "Where is the manager?"

Old 06-14-2013, 09:19 PM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times
Retail workers are generally viewed as near the "bottom of the hierarchy". I am not saying this is right or wrong, it is just the perception.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:47 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,000,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh2k19 View Post

Because most retail workers make it obvious they are only there for a check and don't go that extra mile to provide good customer service
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment