Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 12:09 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I'm sure people shopping at a retail store has very little to do with the retail workers (sometimes, yes, but not most of the time).

As you say yourself, you prefer shopping online because you tend to find better bargains on the internet and time-wise, it's more convenient. It has nothing to do with the cashier or sales associate not saying "Hi" to you. It has everything to do with the management of these retailers and how they price their goods or what policies they implement.

And in my experience, most retail workers aren't rude. .
I couldn't care less about hellos, but I value employees being able to assist customers when asked where something is located. My local Wal Mart has superb employees who can direct you-no small feat with 90,000 skus. The local Kroger group is clueless. Directing customers is not kissing their ***-its employees doing their job. No shoppers, or just not enough, no job. I'll find my product elsewhere long before they find a new job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
I started my retail management career in the low end discount clothing sector. I LMAO every time I hear that threat from my ghetto customers. I always respond back..."No, you won't. I'll see you next week". 99% of the time, I'm right
That's odd. Penneys has eliminated 1 in 3 jobs companywide in 1 year. Did the 99% rule not work for them?

Old 06-16-2013, 12:21 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
I wish everyone reading this will remember that each worker in retail or other service industries are individuals and deserve to be treated like one (if Joey forgot to remove your lettuce last week at Taco Bell don't take that out on Anna at McDonald's this week). I also wish everyone will understand that they do not make the rules and often are just obeying orders from superiors. Finally, the motto I try to live by: TREAT OTHERS THE WAY YOU WANT TO BE TREATED!
I wont take it out on Anna unless she does the same. It's all about expectations at the store. If the store is known for good service or that special orders are accepted, it is expected to achieve both. If the person perpetuates the bad retail employee stereotype, that doesn't help the consumer and I am sure that I am not the only one.

When I worked retail, if I couldn't deliver quality service based on store policy or had the issues with bad customers, it would last until I had the next interaction with a good customer that had a reasonable request.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:27 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,489,435 times
What I do is tell the employee I realize it's not your fault and don't take it personally, but I hate your company, VZ wireless, because your company is jacking me around on software updates to droid. They seem to appreciate that because they know I am got frustrated at the company not them. And even when I ripped the company on the phone, I told the cust. serv., if they did a good job, I hate the company you work for but you did a good job doing what you can. It's called being objective.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:50 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,334,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
That's odd. Penneys has eliminated 1 in 3 jobs companywide in 1 year. Did the 99% rule not work for them?
My previous employers' target market is not even in the same realm as Penneys' target market. The people that shops at my old store would consider Penneys high end. So yeah....:r olleyes:. That store tailor to some of the poorest people in the community. Their options are limited due to their low income. Not much choices they can go. So remind me again what does Penneys' customers have to do with my past experience with my customers?

Last edited by calnbs; 06-16-2013 at 01:02 PM..

Old 06-16-2013, 12:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
The bad treatment that those who serve us get is commonplace and the norm
When u get your first job and u move to receiving end now that is astounding

Old 06-16-2013, 01:48 PM

18 posts, read 43,406 times
Well, honey, cause the cashiers act stupid and uncaring. They act as if they are scanning garbage, they have a disgusted look on their face....all the time and they appear miserable which inturn puts the customer in the same mood.....the mood comes right-back-atcha.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:52 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DignityforAll View Post
Well, honey, cause the cashiers act stupid and uncaring. They act as if they are scanning garbage, they have a disgusted look on their face....all the time and they appear miserable which inturn puts the customer in the same mood.....the mood comes right-back-atcha.

And feel since they are making minimum wage they don't have to be pleasant

Old 06-16-2013, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
And feel since they are making minimum wage they don't have to be pleasant
95% of them will never get beyond minimum wage, so that paycheck at WM is the high point of their lives.

We're all making what we do, long-term, based on choices we made which covered decades of our lives. I find those who couldn't care less about the quality of their work, no matter what they do and what they make, are the lowest life forms on the planet.

The kid who bagged your groceries decades ago, with care to insure he was doing a great job, is no doubt successful far more often now, than the slacker who said "Hey, it's only minimum wage". The latter will be unemployed again and again, no doubt, as he was a slacker than, and no doubt, is a slacker now.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:50 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
95% of them will never get beyond minimum wage, so that paycheck at WM is the high point of their lives.

We're all making what we do, long-term, based on choices we made which covered decades of our lives. I find those who couldn't care less about the quality of their work, no matter what they do and what they make, are the lowest life forms on the planet.

The kid who bagged your groceries decades ago, with care to insure he was doing a great job, is no doubt successful far more often now, than the slacker who said "Hey, it's only minimum wage". The latter will be unemployed again and again, no doubt, as he was a slacker than, and no doubt, is a slacker now.

That's why I stopped making eye contact with cashiers in fast food and retail because I don't want to see if they are happy or mad. Just ring up my products and let me be on my way. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment