Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2013, 03:00 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,495,795 times

Advertisements

I just started a new job today and they gave me a laptop (I've never had a laptop before). Everyone here has laptops and some are able to work from home. My boss lives 4 hours away so he works from home pretty often (he rents an apartment close to the job during the week). I didn't ask about it in the interview/offer stage because it's not a deal breaker for me or even something I would want. I like to come to the office. However, I was thinking about it today and maybe to have that option from time to time would not be so bad. What's the best way to approach my boss and ask him if working from home would be an option? I'm thinking I would wait at least 3 months to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 03:11 PM

79 posts, read 204,516 times
When i start a new job, I usually lay low and see what my co-workers do in terms of working from home. I have found that a pattern emerges after a few months. For example, at my current job i noticed most people use a work from home day at least one every two weeks. It's also not a great idea to throw out the request too early because they want you to become a familiar face around the office. Plus, if you wait a few months you'll have a chance to prove yourself and raise your worth in the eyes of your manager. Once you do that, I'm sure your manager won't have a problem with you working from home every now and then.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:23 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,419,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I just started a new job today and they gave me a laptop (I've never had a laptop before). Everyone here has laptops and some are able to work from home. My boss lives 4 hours away so he works from home pretty often (he rents an apartment close to the job during the week). I didn't ask about it in the interview/offer stage because it's not a deal breaker for me or even something I would want. I like to come to the office. However, I was thinking about it today and maybe to have that option from time to time would not be so bad. What's the best way to approach my boss and ask him if working from home would be an option? I'm thinking I would wait at least 3 months to ask.
Keep an eye on the pattern in the office. A couple things will help you:

1. Prove yourself. Get it in gear for the next few months and show that you can do your job with minimal oversight and direction.

2. Pull a couple extra hours here and there when the boss is in the office. During these times, try to limit small talk about TV shows, the game last night, etc. You don't want your boss having the inkling that you just want to "work" from home while you get caught up on your DVR.

I'd say a good line is around 90-120 days in. Hopefully, you have a monthly/quarterly review process, this would be a great time to bring this up.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:20 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,765,939 times
I'd definitely wait to bring up the topic until you've been there a while, are fully ramped up and performing well at the job. I'd raise an eyebrow if I had a new hire asking about working from home before they even knew where all the conference rooms were located in the building!

Also find out what the company policy is on working from home. Sometimes, they only allow people with specific job functions to WFH, or people who live a minimum distance away from the office. Or each WFH day has to be pre-approved, etc.

My current workplace has a "you can WFH one day a week, IF you can fulfill all the job functions you have to do that day from home". Sounds easier than it is, but we actually have a fair amount of meetings you need to be physically present for rather than dialed in. I almost never WFH, I feel like I don't get as much done, but I do it occasionally if I've got a cold and don't want to spread my germs, have twisted my ankle/knee and need to stay off my feet, or am expecting a furniture delivery. I value face-to-face interaction, whiteboarding sessions, and the synergy and ideas that spring from impromptu water cooler discussions, so it's important for me to be on-site.

Congrats on the new job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment