Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 02:26 PM

15 posts, read 25,702 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if most people believe that 95K/year (with very good healthcare benefits and matching 401K options) is decent, for an ivy league graduate under 30.

Do you think the person should negotiate for at least 110K, if they have 7 years of viable experience in their field and are considered a technical expert?

Please weigh in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 02:40 PM

570 posts, read 1,735,454 times
it depends on what field and where. Since different market and different job play differently.
A person in SF bay area with the same experience and same job title will make more than person in a small town

Even the fast food workers make around $1/hour more in SF than other areas.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:46 PM

503 posts, read 1,176,370 times
I'd be happy with $35,000-$45,000 a year. Even if I earned a J.D. or M.D. degree.

Assuming my total debt would be $200,000 (payments of $2,000 a month.)
Include renting a tiny one room apartment (say, $1,000 a month.)
Then food (I learned to live on under $100 a month in college already.)
Public Transit/Misc. (Say, $500 allocated a month.)
I don't plan on buying a car. Walking, biking and using public transportation is fine with me, even in bad weather.

So $3,600 a month. I'd need a salary of $43,200 after taxes on my own (not including my S.O.'s income.)

Last edited by ForkInTheRoad; 05-31-2013 at 03:02 PM..

Old 05-31-2013, 02:53 PM

14,413 posts, read 22,621,203 times
What is your students loans?

Old 05-31-2013, 03:22 PM

28 posts, read 60,832 times
That sounds like a good salary, but if you think you deserve more then ask for it.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:17 PM

30,147 posts, read 25,271,282 times
I don't know what the average is for ivy league grads. I'd say you're doing fine. I make around 50K with a HS diploma and I'm probably around your age. I only have about 4 years experience in my line of work though, and it isn't known as a big money maker, that's for sure.

If I was making that kind of money, I would do everything possible to sock more money into savings and investments. If you could save 30K in a year and earn 8% on that every year, you will be in an excellent financial position in the near future. Wages/salaries shouldn't be the only source of income. Most folks are shortsighted though. Instead of saving that much, they finance a 30-40K sports car or something. Hehe, pretty much what a lot of my friends did after graduating college, and they wonder why they are still broke! Live and learn I guess.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:32 PM

503 posts, read 1,176,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I don't know what the average is for ivy league grads. I'd say you're doing fine. I make around 50K with a HS diploma and I'm probably around your age. I only have about 4 years experience in my line of work though, and it isn't known as a big money maker, that's for sure.

If I was making that kind of money, I would do everything possible to sock more money into savings and investments. If you could save 30K in a year and earn 8% on that every year, you will be in an excellent financial position in the near future. Wages/salaries shouldn't be the only source of income. Most folks are shortsighted though. Instead of saving that much, they finance a 30-40K sports car or something. Hehe, pretty much what a lot of my friends did after graduating college, and they wonder why they are still broke! Live and learn I guess.
Some of us are in a position where we can't afford to invest, because that would require skipping bill payments on things like rent, utilities, student loans, etc.

I can only dream of having a car, but that won't be happening anytime soon until I can get out of the minimum-wage rut.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:36 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,390,966 times
I think it's a fantastic salary for a History degree, solid for an Engineer, and low for a Doctor.

You have too many unknowns to give a solid answer. Where is the job? What field, what degree? What's the job?

Is 95K with benefits a good salary? Yes, for probably 80% of America.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:38 PM

30,147 posts, read 25,271,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForkInTheRoad View Post
Some of us are in a position where we can't afford to invest, because that would require skipping bill payments on things like rent, utilities, student loans, etc.

I can only dream of having a car, but that won't be happening anytime soon until I can get out of the minimum-wage rut.
Any possibility of getting a part time job? Maybe finding an opportunity where you can learn skills that can earn a better paycheck? This is a very competitive era where living through and sitting passively while accepting minimum wage won't get you anywhere. You really have to claw your way into something better any way you can. If you have student loans to pay off, why are you still earning minimum wage? Maybe it's time to consider moving to a location that offers better prospects.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:39 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,769,625 times
What's your field, and what's the position?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment