Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 01:03 AM

30,653 posts, read 24,071,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm View Post
My 43 year old daughter has had the misfortune of being let go from two different Co. that either went bust, or closed local operations over the last 4 years.

She has no concept of rejection whatsoever. She just hits then streets and apply's. No college degree, just smart. Has never made less than 60k or out of work more than 4 weeks.

Get yourself out there with your best points, and slug it out. Sell yourself!
How the heck does she make 60K with no college degree? I am blown away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 04:58 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,738,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The internet is the path of least resistance when it comes to applying for a job. That's the first place everyone goes to start searching for a job these days. I have dropped resumes off for potential employers in the past with some success. Since no one does this anymore, you might stand out, and they might even consider hiring you if there is not an immediate need for a new hire. You can also e-mail your resume. The worst they could do is tell you they are not hiring. It might open up dialogue for something further though.
people can try this if they like, but the worst that could happen is actually that the employer gets irritated at you for being pushy/interrupting their day and blacklists you.

i'd never deliver my resume in person unless i was applying for a retail or food service job.

e-mailing it when they don't have a need - eh, i guess that can't hurt. i don't see it yielding that many results, but who knows. you might luck out.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:56 AM

12,339 posts, read 17,260,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The internet is the path of least resistance when it comes to applying for a job. That's the first place everyone goes to start searching for a job these days. I have dropped resumes off for potential employers in the past with some success. Since no one does this anymore, you might stand out, and they might even consider hiring you if there is not an immediate need for a new hire. You can also e-mail your resume. The worst they could do is tell you they are not hiring. It might open up dialogue for something further though.
People can and do find work by presenting resumes in person. Using a combination of methods like electronic, In person search and networking is the best way as opposed to sticking to one method if one wants to find work quickly. Several of my coworkers have found thier jobs by in person self marketing and presentation and pretty recently as well.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:03 AM

56 posts, read 119,794 times
Hm.
I guess I have different luck. Never needed resume. Most important is to have specialty license so competition low.
For example MD license but this is extreme case. Something like web designer looks good, or electrician license.
Be ready to relocate. Most jobs never advertized like in hospitals or governments or big companies, so you have to hit internet. For example FPL-energy.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:27 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,557,326 times
I have had snail mail work well in the 90's and early 2000's. One got me relocated to Florida, which is what I was hoping for, the other got me into the industry I was trying to get into at the time.

The first I was looking for a transfer and found an office with an open spot. The second I was admin assisting as a temp for a financial advisor and when the gig ended I wanted to stay in the industry and get my Series 7 license, which requires a sponsor. So I sent out letters looking for a job willing to also sponsor me, and I got a response and the job.

Buy some stamps, some nice paper, make sure your letter is personalized to the job or company and your resume is as perfect and has only the important stuff in it and start mailing.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:50 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,473,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
How the heck does she make 60K with no college degree? I am blown away.
If you stay that length of time at some jobs,your salary rises with experience. Less likely to just walk into a 60K job off the street.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:12 PM

30,653 posts, read 24,071,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
If you stay that length of time at some jobs,your salary rises with experience. Less likely to just walk into a 60K job off the street.
Really? In less than four years, no college degree, they can make 60k? WHERE?!

Old 05-11-2013, 02:35 PM

9,026 posts, read 13,947,141 times
Here is what I would tell you,which is vastly different from what everyone else is saying.

Take some training to become a certified nurse aide or home health aide.
Sometimes you don't even need training,just apply.
Lots of places have free training.
In most instances all you need a a backround check

Old 05-11-2013, 03:38 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,317,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Obviously sites like Monster and Careerbuilder are the longest...

Craigslist used to be quicker but now people are flocking there.

I used to think temp agencies were pretty quick too,but it seems that's changed as well.

The only way I can think of is through asking people I know etc...

There is no quick way to find work in 2013 because of

1. Fake Job postings
2. Companies hiring internally

Old 05-11-2013, 03:46 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,317,202 times
Actually there is one quick way to find and that is through a Labor Agency. You show up at the agency and you are paid for a 8 hour shift
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment