Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 07:55 AM

238 posts, read 1,957,758 times

Advertisements

Trying to start a computer repair business out of my home may be the answer, but it's hard to find the time for this while working 50+ hours/week. I certainly can't leave my steady, well-paying job for it. I guess I'll run into this problem with any business idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 11:18 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,332,775 times
Without any capital, direction, and time, it's an uphill battle to get any business going.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:04 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,162,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge13 View Post
Unfortunately eBay has far too much competition in that area to be profitable. And the added shipping costs make it near impossible to turn a profit, not to mention eBay's cut of the sales price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Turn your garage into a "store" and have daily "garage sales".
About 20 years ago CDW, a Fortune 500 and $10B company, was started by a man who sold used computers in newspaper ads from his home garage.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:06 PM

25 posts, read 41,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilist View Post
If you can sell, that's a tremendous asset. Combine that with your tech savvy and you're on the right track.

For example, you decide to be a distributor of pizza ovens. You educate yourself on the pizza oven world (everything you need to know can be found online about virtually every product line). You set up your "business";
Better to start in and make some mistakes, than to sit on it and just dream.
You have some excellent points, except that the pizza oven business is about the worst there is. I assume it is just an example. I'm amazed at how successful some businesses are, when in a great location. Did you know that you can make $500,000/yr selling barbecue supplies, with a nice store in a wealthy area? That's right...selling tongs, mitts and related equipment. How hard is that? The key is finding the right location and obtaining the start-up money.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:13 PM

25 posts, read 41,496 times
Why not attend trade shows and look for products that will sell? That's one of the best places to obtain ideas and make business contacts. I would suggest that you read a lot of books about start-up companies. I know, because I have read many of them and they really make it feel like you have a mentor sharing his experiences. Many books only have one or two things that are truly useful, but those are very valuable things to know and can usually be applied to your situation.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:44 AM

238 posts, read 1,957,758 times
One thing I've dreamt about for years (and I know it sounds lame) is opening a comic book store. Yes, I'm a comic geek. With all these people talking about how someone in my position should get into a business they truly enjoy, a comic book store would be that for me. The problem, however, is that I doubt you can make much money doing it. As a self-proclaimed comic geek, whose spent tons of time in comic book stores, I can say first-hand that they're never busy, the average sale is probably under $15, and it's a very niche market.

Granted, I've done very little actual research, but I think it's pretty clear that owning a comic shop is more of a hobby than anything else. From what I've read online, as reliable as that can ever be, the average comic store makes about $10k profit/year - Great for a retiree, but I can't imagine trying to make that work as a primary source of income.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:40 PM

994 posts, read 1,592,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge13 View Post
One thing I've dreamt about for years (and I know it sounds lame) is opening a comic book store. Yes, I'm a comic geek. With all these people talking about how someone in my position should get into a business they truly enjoy, a comic book store would be that for me. The problem, however, is that I doubt you can make much money doing it. As a self-proclaimed comic geek, whose spent tons of time in comic book stores, I can say first-hand that they're never busy, the average sale is probably under $15, and it's a very niche market.

Granted, I've done very little actual research, but I think it's pretty clear that owning a comic shop is more of a hobby than anything else. From what I've read online, as reliable as that can ever be, the average comic store makes about $10k profit/year - Great for a retiree, but I can't imagine trying to make that work as a primary source of income.
I have tossed around ideas similar to yours and I think you should go for it. Try to go part time at work if you can (or see if they'll let you work a shorter work week) and look around for a good storefront to rent. Try to stay small on the storefront and stay away from shopping malls. Go for a strip mall in an older neighborhood if you can since the rent might be lower if your customer demographics let you. This is based on what I have seen in my time in retail; "location, location, location" is vital but don't let your landlord take your profits! Also, try to make your own fixtures if you can; you'll save quite a bit of money and you can make whatever sort of fixtures you want to hold merchandise (I'm guessing you're going to be selling more than just comic books).

Old 05-11-2013, 12:12 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Well...today, I decided was the day I was going to advertise for my (hopeful) business. I realized that I am afraid that no one will contact me but that is not a reason not to try.

So. I have taken my first step. I have an ad up after working with an artist for a logo.

I will then, hopefully soon, get some flyers printed up, business cards, brochures and begin building a website. I will also form a FB page and a Twitter account.

The FB page and Twitter are free. The flyers I can do for .10 a copy...so can keep within a budget. Business cards, brochures and DBa license, I have to hold off just for a bit because I have rent and bills to pay first. (Yes, even though it's not expensive for either one, I need every dollar right now.) Same with website as I have to pay for a domain...which, again, not even expensive but, again...bills first.

I'm really not that good at marketing but...I am trying.

I have no idea if I'll get a bite off of that ad, (on a high profile site), I have no idea if this will ever happen or be a success.

But at least I stopped being afraid of that and took my first step.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 900 times
This for you! It is a brand new platform connecting the entrepreneurs with providers. There is no platform like this one! Check it out.

[url]http://DebbyGreer.neurs.net[/url]

What is Neurs?

Our only purpose is to help connect the entrepreneurial world in the simplest way possible while offering an opportunity for you to profit from its growth.

Neurs is the platform that helps connect the entrepreneurial world.

This is your chance to be part of something truly historic.
Every so often an opportunity comes along that has the potential to change the world.

This one of those exceptional opportunities people only dream about. Imagine having been involved in the early days of Microsoft or Apple…

Neurs Mission:
Neurs aim to become the most important meeting point on the internet…
For both aspiring entrepreneurs and providers of business opportunities and services.

66% of the world’s population would like to be an entrepreneur, but most don’t know what to do, how to do it, and where to find capital

Connecting the entrepreneurs with providers
It is an invite only process so below is the link. Don't worry you won't be giving out your credit card or anything. This new platform had just launched to help entrepreneurs, it is amazing, everything in one place!

[url]http://DebbyGreer.neurs.net[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment