Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 10:50 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,181,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseHunter123abc View Post
Thanks, but sociology-based stuff doesn't really interest me. I only majored in it because at the time I was in school to become a social studies teacher, and since I already had a few sociology courses under my belt, majoring in it alongside secondary education was the quickest way to graduate. However, I dropped the secondary ed. component during my senior year due to massive layoffs in the field. It didn't makse sense to continue with both majors knowing I'd never get a job as a teacher, so I dropped it and just graduated earlier with the sociology degree (and history minor).
That's fine, but I'm not suggesting you pursue a sociology job, I was suggesting you utilize the skills developed in the degree to get into an emerging field (ie Business Analytics, or Predictive Analytics).

Business analytics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predictive_analytics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 11:11 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,077,963 times
What is your wife good at? Is she a SAHM? Does she have any creative skill? The most rewarding business I ever ran was a joint venture between myself and my spouse, mostly because it was a total 180 from my day job (which I also enjoy). We're looking forward to restarting the home business soon. It has the potential to make quite a bit of money--as it did in the past--though we're not counting on it for steady income.

I'd suggest keeping your day job and working at a home business jointly with your spouse on evenings and weekends. If she's a SAHM, she should have capacity to keep the home business moving forward during the day, and you can take over when you get off work. Or, you can take over kid care and cooking when you get back, freeing her up. If your business does well enough to justify (and pay) you both as full-timers, then you can quit your day job. If it doesn't, you've still got a steady income and a gap-free resume.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:17 AM

62 posts, read 117,096 times
The real estate market is coming back with a vengeance, would that interest you? You can start by doing it part time and still keep your main job until you get going. You can get your license in a short period of time and you pretty much are your own boss, as an independent contractor. Just a thought.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:24 AM

345 posts, read 1,032,863 times
I can identify with the OP here... similar age/college degree and lack of discernible skills. I'd like to do something similar, but clueless how.

In for more answers!

Old 04-26-2013, 12:13 PM

238 posts, read 1,959,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
What is your wife good at? Is she a SAHM? Does she have any creative skill? The most rewarding business I ever ran was a joint venture between myself and my spouse, mostly because it was a total 180 from my day job (which I also enjoy). We're looking forward to restarting the home business soon. It has the potential to make quite a bit of money--as it did in the past--though we're not counting on it for steady income.

I'd suggest keeping your day job and working at a home business jointly with your spouse on evenings and weekends. If she's a SAHM, she should have capacity to keep the home business moving forward during the day, and you can take over when you get off work. Or, you can take over kid care and cooking when you get back, freeing her up. If your business does well enough to justify (and pay) you both as full-timers, then you can quit your day job. If it doesn't, you've still got a steady income and a gap-free resume.
My wife is an RN and works 2 jobs (as many nurses do). And with the baby on the way, she won't really have any time to help with a business.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:28 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,183,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseHunter123abc View Post

I've always wanted to own my own business. I want the satisfaction of knowing that I create my own success. However, I lack direction, money, and any discernible skills to put to work.

On a side note, my wife and I are expecting our first child, so the ability to work from home would be extremely valuable to us.

Does anyone have any advice, insights, or suggestions?
If you are going to have your own business, choose something that you are passionate about. Choose something that you would do for "free" and something that you would wake up at 4 am for every day and be "excited" about doing. Whether it is computer related, or shoveling horse manure, it doesn't matter, if you aren't passionate about it you will eventually burn out.

Secondly, do not listen to people who are negative and nay-sayers. They will drag you down and poison you. If someone says something negative remove yourself from their presence.

There are two books that I can recommend that you read to help you. The first is 48 Days to the Work You Love which you can purchase here for less than $4.00 48 Days to the Work You Love by Dan Miller: B&H Books 9780805444797 Paperback - Green Earth Books

and the other book is "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill. You can get an ebook (along with a bunch of other great motivational books here: Index of /library/ebooks/success.

Remember that you create your own destiny and your own future and your own successes. Nothing is beyond your potential. All you have to do is set a goal and decide that you will achieve it and then do it. Simple as that.

Good luck to you.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-26-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Remember that you create your own destiny and your own future and your own successes. Nothing is beyond your potential. All you have to do is set a goal and decide that you will achieve it and then do it. Simple as that.

Good luck to you.

20yrsinBranson
Thank you.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:07 PM

251 posts, read 523,683 times
With respect to the poster from MO, I'm going to have to disagree just a bit...

I don't claim to be an expert, but I have founded (and run) two successful companies. A smart person listens to several opinions. Simply because one is giving you "negative" advice does not mean their advice is not relevant to your situation. When I see pie-in-the-sky platitudes, such as "you create your own destiny", "nothing is beyond your potential", etc., I cringe. These are the typical slogans of multi-level marketing types, and similar. You are probably not equipped to start and run a broad variety of businesses. You've admitted your lack of direction and skills.

Starting and actually running a successful business is very complex, and requires enormous amounts of dedication. It's not something one does simply because they don't like working for the man.

You need to accurately define what skills you DO have. What motivates you. And a myriad of other questions pertaining to your real aptitude and ability to start and grow a company. There is a real difference between starting a business, growing a business, and running a business. Very few people are adept at all three.

You also need to define the purpose or work of the business. Now keep in mind, there is a huge difference between owning a "business" and owning a "job". I believe the country girl from MO refers to owning a job. One of the primary differences is that when you own a job, you stop making income when you're not working. Real estate salesmen, attorneys, dentists, manure shovelers, etc. While some of those jobs can earn a decent income, they are not really businesses. (It's called self-employment) You stop working, the money stops.

I vastly prefer owning a real business. I take a day or a week off, our companies keeps right on doing what they do.

In summary; you need to carefully examine yourself. You need the advice of successful business owners. You need to determine if you want to own your own job, or grow and run a business. You need to realistically evaluate your strengths and weaknesses. Then you need to realistically look at the various business choices available, and if you decide you can achieve success, jump in. All in.

Ted

Old 04-26-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilist View Post
With respect to the poster from MO, I'm going to have to disagree just a bit...

I don't claim to be an expert, but I have founded (and run) two successful companies. A smart person listens to several opinions. Simply because one is giving you "negative" advice does not mean their advice is not relevant to your situation. When I see pie-in-the-sky platitudes, such as "you create your own destiny", "nothing is beyond your potential", etc., I cringe. These are the typical slogans of multi-level marketing types, and similar. You are probably not equipped to start and run a broad variety of businesses. You've admitted your lack of direction and skills.

Starting and actually running a successful business is very complex, and requires enormous amounts of dedication. It's not something one does simply because they don't like working for the man.

You need to accurately define what skills you DO have. What motivates you. And a myriad of other questions pertaining to your real aptitude and ability to start and grow a company. There is a real difference between starting a business, growing a business, and running a business. Very few people are adept at all three.

You also need to define the purpose or work of the business. Now keep in mind, there is a huge difference between owning a "business" and owning a "job". I believe the country girl from MO refers to owning a job. One of the primary differences is that when you own a job, you stop making income when you're not working. Real estate salesmen, attorneys, dentists, manure shovelers, etc. While some of those jobs can earn a decent income, they are not really businesses. (It's called self-employment) You stop working, the money stops.

I vastly prefer owning a real business. I take a day or a week off, our companies keeps right on doing what they do.

In summary; you need to carefully examine yourself. You need the advice of successful business owners. You need to determine if you want to own your own job, or grow and run a business. You need to realistically evaluate your strengths and weaknesses. Then you need to realistically look at the various business choices available, and if you decide you can achieve success, jump in. All in.

Ted
I really like everything you had to say, Ted. I agree with all of it. In terms of skills; I'm one the best judges of character I know, I know how to sell (which is what made my computer business a success), I'm excellent with computers and technology, and I'm unbelievably dedicated.

In response to your differentiation between owning a job and owning a business, my goal is definitely to own a business, but I'm sure that's not something that's achieved overnight.

Do you have any insights as to a good place for me to start? A space that makes sense given my strengths? I'm at a real loss.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:43 PM

30,363 posts, read 23,832,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
If you are going to have your own business, choose something that you are passionate about. Choose something that you would do for "free" and something that you would wake up at 4 am for every day and be "excited" about doing. Whether it is computer related, or shoveling horse manure, it doesn't matter, if you aren't passionate about it you will eventually burn out.

Secondly, do not listen to people who are negative and nay-sayers. They will drag you down and poison you. If someone says something negative remove yourself from their presence.

There are two books that I can recommend that you read to help you. The first is 48 Days to the Work You Love which you can purchase here for less than $4.00 48 Days to the Work You Love by Dan Miller: B&H Books 9780805444797 Paperback - Green Earth Books

and the other book is "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill. You can get an ebook (along with a bunch of other great motivational books here: Index of /library/ebooks/success.

Good luck to you.

20yrsinBranson
THANK YOU for that second link! What a nice collection of information.

I am also brainstorming right now on how to get my own business up and running. I know what I want to do, have major passion for it, just wish I had a mentor. Either way, I do have a friend who knows a thing or two and a few others I can talk to so hopefully I'll learn enough to get started, (what I need), and from there, it's all about the marketing. God I hate marketing. I suck at it.

In the meantime, I have to find another job before this one kills me but I am hoping I can get this business up and going soon.

Those links are going to be helpful.

Edit: Where the heck does one find a mentor? I don't have the slightest clue where to find one.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 04-26-2013 at 01:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment