Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 10:25 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times

Advertisements

As long as its a temporary situation, I don't see it as a problem. The good thing about this is you're being proactive about your finances and that'll pay off down the road. That situation is a lot less stressful than someone that needs to work 2 jobs to get out of a financial hole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 03:41 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
I worked two jobs and 70 hour weeks for about 5 months every year for 5 years. It kicked my butt. I am not kidding when I say that it would take me several months just to recover from the lack of sleep. While I was doing it, I managed to get through the day,but as soon as I got time off I would just collapse. In my case, I rarely had a day off and that was tough, too. At the time, it really helped financially, but I'd never do it again.

Things that kept me going: reminding myself why I was doing it (I had a very specific financial goal), letting everything else go that I could, eating very healthfully and doing my best to exercise--even if it was just a walk around the block, accepting help and support from family and close friends, and reminding myself that it was temporary and I could quit if it got really bad.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:47 PM

340 posts, read 913,664 times
I haven't worked two jobs like that, but I have been full-time school and work which is very comparable. It's exhausting. Every day you can't wait to get to bed, but you can never fall asleep like normal because you're always "on". The cycle keeps repeating it self until one day you get that full night of sleep and it's a nice recharge, but it's a constant up and down cycle which I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:58 AM

188 posts, read 414,352 times
I am a taxi driver and during the summer I have pulled some 80+ hour weeks. They are very draining, especially being behind the wheel. I went from drinking 1 cup of coffee a day at my old job to probably drinking 30+ ounces a day. I find my best nights of sleep are the day after my day off. With a schedule like this, my days off were mostly spent running errands, so I was still not fully resting. With winter, business has slowed a little and I am working around 50 hours a week, which has helped. I keep applying to other jobs and hope to find something else soon (until then I am happy to be employed and will do what is necessary to make ends meet).

Old 04-28-2013, 12:39 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
just kill me now. Like working 100 hours a week on the rigs, it's something I'd simply never do because I don't believe in it and am not going to support the machine that encourages such ridiculous hours. I'll suck off the government teet if I can't find one full time job that pays a livable wage (which I have by the way)... in fact I'm quite grateful to be where I'm at, on a 4-crew rotation.

However I only see the situation getting worse until we see some major inflation to devalue some of this debt we have along with a weak dollar policy to make our currency more competitive.. health care costs are also just out of control as well, which is why employers hire less and work people to the ground.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:06 AM

339 posts, read 832,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
So I've been working my full time job and enjoying it. On the side, I have also done some work similar to that of a contractor. I would get a call in the evening and do the work the following evening. Occasionally, I would also go in very early in the morning and take care of things if it was a rush situation. I was recently offered an evening shift position that would fit into my schedule. Basically, I would be working 3 days a week to start in the evening, but they also seem to have an interest in offering more days/hours in the future. It's a rather fun role where I would be working mostly independently. Some days, I might not have much to do, but they need someone on site to handle any particular emergencies when something needs fixing or lines need to be restored.

The way it would work is I would work from 7:30 AM to 4 PM at my 1st job, and start 4:30 PM till 12 PM at the other job. They were willing to work with me on the hours so I could work outside a traditional shift, as the other guy on site leaves at 4 PM.

So, looking at the hours, I would be working an average of about 62 hours a week, which is a breeze for me. But the schedule looks like a nightmare. I would also probably work some Saturdays for my full time employer. Has anyone ever had luck pulling a schedule similar to this? I've worked mostly 45 hour work weeks during the year, with the occasional side projects and things, so I'm gonna have to get back into OT mode to accomplish this.

I don't really need the money, but I would like to buy a house in the next year or two. I'm a single income earner, and they sure aren't cheap around here. The only way I would feel comfortable doing it is if I could bank some more money for the future, get the 401K beefed up some more, and have enough saved up that I would feel comfortable making a 20% downpayment. So, the idea of pulling some extra hours have an appeal, if not a necessity. Any opinions?
Good question! I've always had only one full time job but now I'm trying to find another part time job along with my full time job I have now to save some money, and I was wondering how the hours will work once I do get the job. But I figured it out like this, I will probably only work both jobs in the same day for 3 days of the week because each job will give me 2 off days. So for 4 days of the week I will be off from at least one of my jobs. But on the other hand that means no off days at all unless I take a PTO day on the same day I'm off from the part time job. So it will be interesting and I will be a busy little bee. But the money will look good. Plus the days I only have to work the part time job will be like an off day since it will be just a few hours.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:17 AM

339 posts, read 832,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
I pulled a schedule like that for a year. Both were service jobs where I was on my feet moving for 16 hour days, an hour in between to eat and get to.the next job. I became very thin, ate a ton of fast food, and was totally exhausted.
Yeah I think I will definitely get thinner and I plan on doing it for maybe 6 months tops. My full time job is a sit down job so hopefully that will help. I did like 16hrs of overtime a week for a couple of weeks when my job was offering overtime but now they are not offering overtime. At one point I had to ride my bike 2 hours to work and 2 hours from work each day which equals 4 hours of riding each day so I figure if I can ride for 4 hrs it's not much difference from working a part time job for 4 hours. LOL! Plus I dropped a lot of weight doing that too.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:54 AM

188 posts, read 414,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~PaperMoon~ View Post
Good question! I've always had only one full time job but now I'm trying to find another part time job along with my full time job I have now to save some money, and I was wondering how the hours will work once I do get the job. But I figured it out like this, I will probably only work both jobs in the same day for 3 days of the week because each job will give me 2 off days. So for 4 days of the week I will be off from at least one of my jobs. But on the other hand that means no off days at all unless I take a PTO day on the same day I'm off from the part time job. So it will be interesting and I will be a busy little bee. But the money will look good. Plus the days I only have to work the part time job will be like an off day since it will be just a few hours.
Yea, it can still wear on you. Before my current job, i had a full time paid internship (commuting 2 hours each way on the train) and then worked at a concession stand (7-8 hour shifts) on weekends (30 minute bike ride each way). I had around 1 day off every two weeks. I did it since I received the concession job first and was desperate for anything. I went through with it to gain experience (you never know who you can meet), and since it was just a seasonal job. Still, it made me really appreciate my time off and realize it was not worth going back the next season.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:46 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Yep. This will affect your health quite a bit. 16 hours is hardly normal. That is 6 hours that your not working. Driving home, eating, showing....your might get 4 hours of sleep. I used to work this at my previous job. Its previous for a reason.
Correct. I assume 7:30 start equals at the latest 6:30 wakeup.

Out 12, home 12:30, if lucky asleep by 1.

That best case scenario is still leaving just 5.5 hours to sleep.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:15 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,271,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Correct. I assume 7:30 start equals at the latest 6:30 wakeup.

Out 12, home 12:30, if lucky asleep by 1.

That best case scenario is still leaving just 5.5 hours to sleep.
Exactly. 5.5 hours to sleep. What about showering, going to a doctor checkup, GF/BF to give attention too, eating, just plain relaxing. It won't be easy by any stretch of the imagination.

Let's say you do both jobs Monday-Friday. That Saturday off you will sleep til 5pm...believe me. Then on Sunday you know you have that 80 hour week (2-16 hour shifts a day) so your not likely to get on the roof and do that roof repair for 10 hours and get a sunburn. You just want to relax....then Monday comes and it happens all over again.

It can be done. I hated the hours I worked in my previous job. You do though get into a routine. I would get home....stay up a few hours and eat then pass out. Wake up just in time to leave to start it over. That was it....nothing else. If you have a goal in mind and doing it for a few months or doing it to pay off a loan at least you know it will end. I wouldn't suggest just working 16 hours just to get more money to spend or something.

It is much easier to work 40 hours and work a PT gig for 20 hours a week with a much varied schedule. 10x truthfully compared to a 16 hour day especially if your traveling inbetween jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment