Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 05:40 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,336,262 times

Advertisements

this sadly looks like the future for most of the US workforce-

As employers push efficiency, the daily grind wears down workers - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 10:38 AM

2,773 posts, read 3,793,606 times
It doesn't surprise me. Infact , it seems to be the american way these days. At my work, the regular employees were treated to a Xmas party - that we had to pay an entrance fee of $5. For $ 5 , we received a 6" sub sandwich and a bag of chips or a cookie. The administration staff, well, they got the full blown Xmas party we all dream of - two turkeys, hams, and all the trimmings. And, they didn't have to pay a dime to get in to that party. We were restricted from entering of course. Its a world, nay, a COUNTRY full of have and have-nots. Some people say love it or leave it. A country of divided people.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:31 AM

593 posts, read 1,417,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
It doesn't surprise me. Infact , it seems to be the american way these days. At my work, the regular employees were treated to a Xmas party - that we had to pay an entrance fee of $5. For $ 5 , we received a 6" sub sandwich and a bag of chips or a cookie. The administration staff, well, they got the full blown Xmas party we all dream of - two turkeys, hams, and all the trimmings. And, they didn't have to pay a dime to get in to that party. We were restricted from entering of course. Its a world, nay, a COUNTRY full of have and have-nots. Some people say love it or leave it. A country of divided people.

Next year, they will probably have to guard the nice Xmas party with machine guns and razor wire if they keep it up. We'll be like South AFrica soon.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:08 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,336,262 times
Tracking workers' every move can boost productivity — and stress - latimes.com

Tracking workers' every move can boost productivity — and stress

this is part 2 of the 2 article series of the LA Times report on the changing workplace in the the US

Old 04-14-2013, 10:17 AM

26,328 posts, read 94,127,737 times
Quote:

Is there a better country for me, you, us?

Old 04-14-2013, 10:59 AM

355 posts, read 872,254 times
Quote:
LOL! What a slap in the face to the regular employees. I would have gladly declined to attend.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:03 AM

355 posts, read 872,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
this sadly looks like the future for most of the US workforce-

As employers push efficiency, the daily grind wears down workers - latimes.com
There really needs to be a nationwide strike. Then maybe we can come to the table and talk about treating workers as humans and not animals.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:07 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,798,643 times
Quote:
DAYUM. Where do you work? In what industry at least?

Old 04-14-2013, 11:23 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,462,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Is there a better country for me, you, us?
Possibly, but we both know that you're not interested in that discussion.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:41 AM

30,147 posts, read 25,271,282 times
Caste society. They used to say, if you didn't like the way you were being treated or paid, than find another job. Workers are running out of places to go. These recessionary conditions have a way of squeezing workers in a vice. They know they don't have too many options available to them. So, they put up with the abuse. Every year, the workers get a little more burned out. Eventually, they will have enough. Maybe they will say something to get themselves fired. Maybe their symptoms will hurt them on the job. Either way, the company will simply recycle them back to the unemployment line, fetching a fresh worker to run through the gauntlet.

These caste societies are no good for the bottom majority, but quite relaxing and rewarding for the small minority as they crank the vice tighter. I have noticed a marked trend regarding various past employers. The smaller the back/front office, the better the pay/environment was for the general worker. If they had an HR manager around, this position was usually reserved as lead babysitter/whip cracker. And if the boss really had no clue what your job was, and how it is actually done, expect them to marginalize your worth at every turn.

What I really love about the attitude today... If I'm doing a great job, management get's the credit, and probably a raise. If I'm doing a terrible job, it's my fault so I would probably get laid off/fired. Heck, management still probably gets a raise. Gotta keep talent from leaving, right??? I'm not even sure what these people do all day. Seems like a lot of task work that a 5th grader could do. Lots of filling out forms, compliance stuff, all kinds of things with fancy catch phrases that disguise what they really are... Boring and monotonous task work, akin to what I go through every year as I fill out my taxes. They always seemed to have time to chat with each other anytime I walked by. Must be nice to be among the leisure class...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
Tracking workers' every move can boost productivity — and stress - latimes.com

Tracking workers' every move can boost productivity — and stress

this is part 2 of the 2 article series of the LA Times report on the changing workplace in the the US
This really isn't a bad idea though. We have cameras at work. The boss really doesn't care if you're picking your nose during the shift. He just wants to make people think twice about stealing crap. I would be doing the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment