Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 05:10 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,593,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
When you think of it, that's disgusting. The hourly workers are the ones going out there into the trenches to the clients and doing the billable hours. If there were no temps to be sent out, the agency would be out of business immediately. Yet they compensate their cost center employees sitting in their office way better than they do the employees that are actually the ones out there making the money for the agency.
Sorry, I guess I didn't explain it very well. Both agency employees, the hourly and salaried, work on-site at the hiring company. They have different responsibilities and are classified differently. More and more senior level positions are being outsourced (or in-sourced, as it were). These more senior positions are offered these better benefits packages as well as salaried pay. Not sure how it works with overtime, since salaried employees rarely get any extra compensation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 06:16 PM

254 posts, read 598,988 times
I think it would be odd to have a temp going out doing client meetings. Clients usually feel more comfortable with people who are permanent, that way they know who to talk to later on. I don't know many jobs that make temps go to out of the office meetings with clients or service calls.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:15 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,611,555 times
Perhaps a little off topic but I am wondering: I plan on temping over the summer, my school ends May 20th, how soon should I visit the Temp agency if I will not be able to temp until May 20th? Should I go in early May, or April or wait until school is offically done?

Old 02-24-2013, 03:21 PM

254 posts, read 598,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
Perhaps a little off topic but I am wondering: I plan on temping over the summer, my school ends May 20th, how soon should I visit the Temp agency if I will not be able to temp until May 20th? Should I go in early May, or April or wait until school is offically done?

Just tell them when you are available and what kind of work you can do. Have a resume ready.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:54 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,611,555 times
good advice ty, and yes resume is primed and ready though Il give it the once over with the career office at univeristy first

Old 02-24-2013, 03:57 PM

763 posts, read 2,609,123 times
I would also suggest getting all those requisite tests out of the way.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:39 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,700,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennStar View Post
Doesn't the company contact the agency to tell them you were let go? It seems they are cowardly and not very nice people. Not very ethical. I would tell the agency what happened exactly. Then tell the agency that the company is supposed to tell the agency what is going on. To have your pc turn off only to have a message on it when you return is just cowardly. Tell the agency about this.
Good luck, hopefully you will get a good job soon.
Most temp agencies don't care about the temp, they work for their clients(the companies).

Complaining to a temp agency about how you're treated on an assignment is not something they're going to want to hear or side with the temp on an issue.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:01 PM

994 posts, read 1,595,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Most temp agencies don't care about the temp, they work for their clients(the companies).

Complaining to a temp agency about how you're treated on an assignment is not something they're going to want to hear or side with the temp on an issue.
Unfortunately you are right on this one. The last temp position I worked at was a nightmare; basically the client company was a call center that processed sales orders for various small and midsized businesses around the USA and most of those small/midsized businesses were basically scam outfits and the call center was not much better. I said something about this to the temp agency and didn't hear from them after that. About a year later I went back to this temp place to see if I could go back on with another assignment (I was employed elsewhere but wanted something better) and the temp agency basically said that the call center thought I didn't take care of customers or something (which was a line of ****). Moral of the story: temp agencies typically tend to be rough on the temps and their clients are usually worse. Often times the client companies will run employment ads with no intention of actually hiring anyone outside of the temp firm. This is partially to satisfy legal requirements in larger employers (to the best of my knowledge anyways) and also to fish for information from any applicants they get.

This kind of crap is very common in manufacturing and call center operations; I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of manufacturing jobs in America today are temp types. Here in SF a majority of the local manufacturuers use the temp churn and burn game; that's how they make their money. If they hired on regular workers only they'd possibly go out of business. Made In USA could really mean Made By Temps (or Prisoners).

Also, if a company has you working for longer than 6 months but still has you on temp status, they're playing you for a sucker. Nothing against you, it's just that your employer is a ****head and doesn't want to pay for you. You deserve better!

Old 03-01-2013, 04:53 PM

334 posts, read 451,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
Also, if a company has you working for longer than 6 months but still has you on temp status, they're playing you for a sucker. Nothing against you, it's just that your employer is a ****head and doesn't want to pay for you. You deserve better!
If you are "temping" for longer than 90 days at one place you need to move on, you probably will not be hired.

My current employer does bring in temps to do some really basic manual labor jobs, these people KNOW it is temporary and there is little or no chance of them being hired.
After dealing with this group of "temps" you can see why many of them are "temps".

ALL production people start as "temps" too, but unless they are real screw-ups(late, miss days, can't handle the job, etc.) or don't pass the drug screen, they will be hired in 45 days, those 45 days count for their 90 probation period too.

The two types of "temps" come from different agencies.

Old 11-29-2014, 08:26 PM

24 posts, read 38,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post

-- If you hate your job, you know it won't last forever
-- You can make a lot of great contacts in different companies (don't forget to LinkIn)
-- You gain a variety of experience, which looks great on a resume, and prepares you to work in many different places
-- You get to try out a job before permanently committing to it (in a temp-to-perm assignment)
-- You are paid for your time. A lot of permanent employees aren't paid for the extra hours they put in.

I hope your next assignment works out, but if you have a huge chip on your shoulder about temping, it probably won't.

Your boss was being really nice to you, took you to lunch, gave you a lot of praise... she could have just called your agency and said please don't send this person in tomorrow, and have someone collect her things.
Eh, you can easily say these are negatives too. If you've had several jobs in a short amount of time, that sends red flags and shows you don't like commitment. Think of it this way: would I rather have an employee that I know can stay committed or an employee who seems flaky and may not be able to handle the stress of a full-time job?

Also, saying that the OP has a "chip" on their shoulder is ridiculous. When you are a temp, you're basically treated as one. If an employer starts off on the note that you are "beneath" even permanent employees, that doesn't help anyone get ahead. And what sucks: when these guys aren't "happy" with you, they go running to your agency to say you aren't a good employee. So it can actually damage your reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment